selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
MSNBC drops simulcast of Don Imus show

But program's ultimate fate still rests with CBS executives

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633119385158500000');

NEW YORK - MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the “Imus in the Morning” radio program, responding to growing outrage about the radio host’s racial slur against the Rutgers women’s basketball team.
“This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees,” NBC news said in a statement.
Talk-show host Don Imus triggered the uproar on his April 4 show, when he referred to the mostly black Rutgers women’s basketball team as “nappy-headed hos.” His comments have been widely denounced by civil rights and women’s groups.
The decision does not affect Imus’ nationally syndicated radio show, and the ultimate decision on the fate of that program will rest with executives at CBS Corp. In a statement, CBS reiterated that Imus will be suspended without pay for two weeks beginning on Monday, and that CBS Radio “will continue to speak with all concerned parties and monitor the situation closely.”
MSNBC’s action came after a growing list of sponsors — including American Express Co., Sprint Nextel Corp., Staples Inc., Procter & Gamble Co., and General Motors Corp. — said they were pulling ads from Imus’ show for the indefinite future.
NBC News President Steve Capus said he made the decision after reading thousands of e-mails and having countless discussions with NBC workers and the public, but he denied the potential loss of advertising dollars had anything to do with it.
“I take no joy in this. It’s not a particularly happy moment, but it needed to happen,” he said. “I can’t ignore the fact that there is a very long list of inappropriate comments, of inappropriate banter, and it has to stop.”
NBC’s decision came at a time when Imus’ program on MSNBC was doing better competitively than it ever has been. For the first three months of the year, its audience was nearly identical to CNN’s, leading CNN to replace its morning news team last week.
‘He's crossed the line’
Calls for Imus’ firing from the radio portion of the program have intensified during the past week, and remained strong even after MSNBC’s announcment. The show originates from WFAN-AM in New York City and is syndicated nationally by Westwood One, both of which are managed by CBS Corp. MSNBC, which had been simulcasting the show, is a unit of General Electric Co.’s NBC Universal.
Bruce Gordon, former head of the NAACP and a director of CBS Corp., said before MSNBC’s decision Wednesday he hoped the broadcasting company would “make the smart decision” by firing Imus.
“He’s crossed the line, he’s violated our community,” Gordon said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “He needs to face the consequence of that violation.”
Gordon, a longtime telecommunications executive, stepped down in March after 19 months as head of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, one of the foremost U.S. civil rights organizations.
He said he had spoken with CBS chief executive Leslie Moonves and hoped the company, after reviewing the situation, would fire Imus rather than let him return to the air at the end of his suspension.
“We should have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to what I see as irresponsible, racist behavior,” Gordon said. “The Imus comments go beyond humor. Maybe he thought it was funny, but that’s not what occurred.”................

rest of the story..
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/?GT1=9246

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am happy.

A racist bigot is what he is.

The corp. was under pressure from advertisers to drop him.

And MSNBC is a bomb network as it is, and it doesn't want to lose more advertisers.

And now heck they lose another show!

Poor msnbc, pathetic channel.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I agree. Freedom of speach is agiven to all human beings but a racist bastard needs not only to be fired but fined. Let him pay those girls college and shrink fees. People like him make it that much harder on real heroes that speak their minds without emotion but clear and true.......people like Martin Luther King that fought against the status quo of the time and the bigots of his day. This man and any man that misuses their authority and position over the masses deserves what he gets.......just my opinion.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I am happy.

A racist bigot is what he is.

The corp. was under pressure from advertisers to drop him.

And MSNBC is a bomb network as it is, and it doesn't want to lose more advertisers.

And now heck they lose another show!

Poor msnbc, pathetic channel.

I happen to like the channel thank you very much......I watch NBC and PBS (BBC) for news.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
“He’s crossed the line, he’s violated our community,” Gordon said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

There's one for the books. I take it Gordon's been tuning into the lad's show since...last week. If Gord's in charge, God help us.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Ann Coluter also told him to stop aplogizing:

I agree with her. Why on earth should he be apologizing to someone like Al Sharpton who is trying to capitalize on this incident for political gain. Why should we condone the attitude that it is okay to destroy someone’s carrier over one stupid comment? “Mommy he said something mean about me, fire him.” I don't even no what nappy means but I’m told it is racist. Interestingly enough there was a rap group named nappy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nappy_Roots

It doesn’t help me dissect the comment. Anyway I’m going to watch every episode I can from this guy just to spite the politically correct thought police. I never heard of this guy until now. I would of originally dismissed as a drunk hich with a radio show but now to me he is a symbol of the oppression of free speech. I say stop apologizing Imus. A line has to be drawn somewhere. What people miss is that the words of the people who are after this guy are far more destructive then a comment no one should of cared about if it wasn’t for the tabloid style scandal obsessed media which we call our news.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Some more thought, Kudos to Imus for helping bring publicity to woman’s basketball. The sport can use the help. Also I don’t think that it is rap music that is the source of sexist attitudes towards woman. I think it is ingrained in us much more deeply and much more suitably and in this case the 1984 theory of news speak fails. Removing the word hoe is not going to remove the thought of sexism.

If we really want the attitude to be changed between men and woman we have to completely get rid of the idea that the purpose of a woman’s life is to find a man and get married. Both woman men and the media help to perpetuate these stereotypes but they do it much more subtly and discreetly then rap music.

Has anyone watched the sex in the city episode where they go see the fireman strippers? When asked why woman like fireman. Charlotte said, “woman just want to be rescued”. Woman are taught to find happens by searching for and finding the right guy. They are not taught to look inward for their own happiness. This leads them to expect a lot from their guy and this gives guys the attitude that they fill that role of providing for the woman. Society does not teach us to look at the relationship between men and woman as equal partners and that is why more often then not in the case of divorce the woman usually gets more so that she is provided for.

What is Ironic abut Imus comments is that these woman are following their own dream. They choose a carrier where they will likely make more then the guys that they are with. They are strong and draw a lot of happiness from within. Words like ho are used to reinforce the idea of a subservient relationship between men and woman. It is like telling them to stay at home in the kitchen. These woman rose above the stereotypes which our projected upon us by the same media which is now trying to destroy the carrier of Imus.

Last edited:

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Talk-show host Don Imus triggered the uproar on his April 4 show, when he referred to the mostly black Rutgers women’s basketball team as “nappy-headed hos.” 6

That's it? That's all this man said? I heard the story and thought he must've said something outlandish. This seems pretty tame. What oddly over sensitive times we live in!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
That's it? That's all this man said? I heard the story and thought he must've said something outlandish. This seems pretty tame. What oddly over sensitive times we live in!

Oh Hunny Bunny you have no clue of the American temperment at this time in history do you? Richmond is celibrating 400th annerversary we just errected a statue to commemorate the slave triangle and our Senate just made an appology to the African Americans. Now on top of that this creep sounds off with deogratory comments about beautiful young women that are just now in their lives finding a strong hold in thier lives. No, in my oppinion the man should be strung, he's not some prick off the street, he's a public voice with a contract and he in my oppinion broke it.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
String em up? Why not lynch him? That way we can make up for one historical injustice with another. Don’t you see that we are just replacing one kind of oppression for another? Right he is not a guy off the street, so he must act like the smug media elite? Black people have their urban voice though rap. But I suppose the white trash have no place in this world of prude stuck up, smug cry baby, crusading, which hunting elites. I suppose it won’t be long before we pull the plug on the trail park boys either.

What kind of world do we live it were we are suppose to feel guilty about the past instead of trying to build a better future? What kind of world do we live in where we are suppose to be harmed and shocked for seeing a nipple? Do you know that guilt is a form of control? Lets all go apologize for things we didn’t do to people who didn’t grow up with what we are apologizing for. Lets gleefully ask big brother what we can do to be saved from our worthless selves. I don’t want to live in a world where special interest dictates what I can and cannot watch on TV. If people don’t like this guy then don’t watch him.

Anyway, the guy apologized but if he really didn’t think a certain group of people were attractive why can’t he say so? Personally I think black woman are hot. There is nothing like a nice firm ghetto booty. I thought America was suppose to stand for freedom, not censorship, oppression, sell guilt and wining. If America wants to present an image of love and tolerance to the world then they must learn to love those who aren’t clean cut to the styles trends and fads of the day.

Reactions: DurkaDurka

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It is a victory for PC. But now's the time to keep hands to the fire. There is a world out there needing to be fixed and some folks have been getting a pass for years. Now who might they be? Hmmmmmmm...

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
String em up? Why not lynch him? That way we can make up for one historical injustice with another. Don’t you see that we are just replacing one kind of oppression for another? Right he is not a guy off the street, so he must act like the smug media elite? Black people have their urban voice though rap. But I suppose the white trash have no place in this world of prude stuck up, smug cry baby, crusading, which hunting elites. I suppose it won’t be long before we pull the plug on the trail park boys either.

What kind of world do we live it were we are suppose to feel guilty about the past instead of trying to build a better future? What kind of world do we live in where we are suppose to be harmed and shocked for seeing a nipple? Do you know that guilt is a form of control? Lets all go apologize for things we didn’t do to people who didn’t grow up with what we are apologizing for. Lets gleefully ask big brother what we can do to be saved from our worthless selves. I don’t want to live in a world where special interest dictates what I can and cannot watch on TV. If people don’t like this guy then don’t watch him.

Anyway, the guy apologized but if he really didn’t think a certain group of people were attractive why can’t he say so? Personally I think black woman are hot. There is nothing like a nice firm ghetto booty. I thought America was suppose to stand for freedom, not censorship, oppression, sell guilt and wining. If America wants to present an image of love and tolerance to the world then they must learn to love those who aren’t clean cut to the styles trends and fads of the day.

You Are joking...........The man made racist remarks to a group of young woman! And YOU approve of it?!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
IMO I think the guy is an idiot. Believe me this guy is a total tool and just the fact that he is getting a hard time makes me smile a bit. I could care less if he loses his show or not. I think he will because advertisers are backing out and that is what pays the bill.

However, his first mistake after offending these girls was to give the attackers an audience or an admission of guilt. If you know Imus he insults just about everyone. He bashes Dems and Republicans, celebrities, pols, other talk show hosts... you name it.

But once he gave the OTHER knuckleheads an audience, like Sharpton, he opened himself up to a can of whoop azz.

The Duke Lacrosse players will be looking for an apology from Rev. Sharpton for all of the comments he said to them since they are completely innocent. Will Sharpton apologize? I doubt it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No argument with me on this one. The guy is a total jerk PERIOD. He does it to everyone and he just hit that sensitive "PC Button".

I think everyone who makes those idiotic comments should take their lumps. That includes African Americans like Michael Irving who when commenting on how good a particular White athlete was.

His words...

"He must have a little black in him."

He should be punished too... but wasn't.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
A sad part of this ....

Today and Friday Imus was carrying on his telethon for the SIDS Foundation and the Autism Foundation and CBS fired him in the middle of that fundraiser. Rather than taking a two weeks'
hiatus from CBS - they just fired him before he finished the telethon.

Now that's really sinking to a new low.