The remains of the day

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Fragrant and fertile, elephant dung gets new life as compost

By MARK DAVIS

This ain't shinola, folks. No one knows that better than the people who greet each morning, shovel in hand, as they scoop up ... .

Call them the poop patrol, those bold souls who trail behind the three elephants at Zoo Atlanta, scraping up those smelly mounds that invariably trail a pachyderm's path.

Three or more times daily, they shovel hundreds of pounds of elephant dung — nearly a ton a day, about 600 pounds per beast, an Everest of excrement. It winds up as compost, courtesy of a Carroll County businessman who recycles the redolent refuse.

On Tuesday morning, while Atlanta motorists fumed, Jamie Harmon huffed in the fumes of elephant dung. She leaned her slight frame against a snow shovel, pushing at the last of a brownish mound inside the cinder-block building where Zambesi, Starlet and Victoria spend most chilly evenings. The three African elephants were outside, sniffing. Their trunks arced like question marks: What would the day bring?

Harmon, a Georgia State University senior interning at the zoo, began her day just outside a room whose floor was covered with hay, poop and elephant urine. A biology major who wants to be a zoo veterinarian, Harmon took a few whiffs of the clean morning air, then ventured in. Thirty minutes later, she was done — for the moment.

"It's a good workout," Harmon said. She gestured at the floor, still wet from a recent hosing, and sniffed for emphasis.

"It's not as bad as it seems," she said. "Plus, the benefits [of cleaning] outweigh the negatives."

Translation: If you do the shovel shift, you can work with the elephants.

Keeping elephants is work, said Danielle Green. She's the zoo's curator of horticulture and environmental initiatives — a tortured job title that's easy to understand: She's in charge of planting and recycling.

Green, who flinches whenever someone tosses a perfectly reusable scrap of paper in a trash can, took a look at the mountains of elephant excrement and knew that someone could put that stuff to good use.

Elephants, she said, make superior waste to, say, cows. Because elephants don't have multiple stomachs, as bovines do, the stuff that comes out isn't a whole lot different than the stuff that went in. A bale of hay comes out as a half-eaten stack — perfect for composting, Green said.

"To me," she said, "elephant poop doesn't smell as bad as cow poop."

It smells pretty good to Wayne Seabolt, a 65-year-old Carroll County entrepreneur who owns Natural Growth Inc. of Roopville. He met Green about two years ago at a composting conference at the University of Georgia. It was a fortuitous meeting: Seabolt, who already was turning chicken and horse droppings into compost, was looking for more dung; Green, who had an entire mountain range of the stuff, wanted someone to take it. The zoo was spending an estimated $30,000 to haul off the poop, plus other droppings, every year.

Before long, zoo workers were carrying the elephant droppings to a self-contained trailer at the rear of the zoo. Seabolt comes every Monday and trucks the stuff back to his farm in Roopville, about an hour west of Atlanta. There, he spreads the stuff in windrows on a 4- to 5-acre field. He adds carbon to neutralize the mixture and then lets it sit for about three months. Periodically, he drives his tractor across the field, turning the dung with a large tillerlike device. The sun's heat turns something elephants no longer want into a product growers prize.

The compost that emerges is so rich that you can grow just about anything, anywhere, in it, Seabolt said. Spread 3 inches on a yard? The grass nearly leaps out of the dirt. It's also good for ornamentals, vegetables, "just about anything," said Seabolt, who noted that the zoo also uses his elephant compost on its plant beds.

It's not too pricey, either. A ton — enough to fill a long-bed pickup — costs $50, he said.

(Seabolt also visits the zoo whenever the Budweiser Clydesdales come to town. The massive equines, he said, make marvelous excrement.)

Do people ever tease him about what's growing in his Roopville field?

"There are some people who find it amusing," Seabolt said.

Amanda Campbell, manager of display gardens for the Atlanta Botanical Garden, isn't dumping on his business. The botanical garden uses about six dump-truck loads of horse-manure-based compost every year. It's good stuff, she said.

"They're [elephants] kind of like compost factories within themselves," she said.

Factories where the wheels never stop, where the production never ceases. One day, the zoo may even sell the compost in little bags at its gift shop.

No, it's not shinola. If you're a grower, it's better.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Very timely, as I'm getting my garden ready for spring planting. I think I will have a difficult
time trying to find 'this product' anywhere locally, oh well, just normal steer manure for me I guess,
but this elephant manure seems like a good quality garden fertilizer, (maybe someday).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
ZooManu isn't news is it? As for getting it locally Talloola, with many zoos being city funded, a lot of times it goes to city landscaping projects and topdressing for city grassed areas. It's no better, no worse, than any other herbivore manure. Use what needs using in your area.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
ZooManu isn't news is it? As for getting it locally Talloola, with many zoos being city funded, a lot of times it goes to city landscaping projects and topdressing for city grassed areas. It's no better, no worse, than any other herbivore manure. Use what needs using in your area.

No elephants anywhere on this island!!!! Would like to give it a try though. I have my own compost which I prepare all through the winter, and different manures for the garden in the spring.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Ha Taloola and Karrie - the two modern horticulturalists....

I was launched back to my growing up years where at the farthest corner of our yard (hidden behind an arbor of sorts) was the most evil, disgusting, cooking compost which bubbled away all winter, the bane of my diva sisters and my existence.

It's remains still smelled all summer even when emptied out and put to use in the great gardens my father loved to create - edible or beautiful - they were all successes - even until the last summer of his life - and whenever I smell compost I am reminded.

When eating some of the fine products of his vegetable garden I tried to separate my mind from the memory of the compost place so I could enjoy the rewards of his labors - but the compost will remain
as part of my childhood no matter how I try to forget it... and strangely enough.... even in its' awfulness - it brings memories of love and comfort and I cherish them.

My mother loved gardening too but only ventured into his 'place' when he was on trips away from home because we all knew the evil smells were his easy way of getting some peace from all the women in his household...we wouldn't hang around the hated compost heap. He and my brother communed over it like it some holy power....haha

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Isn't it funny Curiosity, how some of the most seemingly disgusting things can end up linked to good memories? I was walking this winter, past my neighbor's horse pasture. The cold winter air, and the smell of manure, brought memories of my childhood on the farm, out taking care of the cattle, rushing back to me. Strong memories of my dad. Cigarettes, cow manure, the smells of toil and sweat, these are things which remind me of my dad. I'm lucky enough to still have him around, but he's a different creature now than he was when I was growing up. He's a friend now. He's calm, and kind and 'city' now. Not like our farming days growing up, when he was tense and stressed and any small moment you could carve out with him, even if it meant following to go check on the cows, was a rare treat. lol... the magical smell of manure.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Karrie

That was wonderful starting off my day reading your post and Taloola's about the best *** for gardening hahaha.

When my dad passed away, I received some of his books which were my favorite choices and my brother gave up his old beat up hat to me which my dad wore - which my mother threw away so often - which he retrieved - and it has become so valuable because even now I can see him grunging away in that awful 'no women allowed' place...doing what he loved best growing good things for his family.

Cigarette smoke from your dad too? Mine was cigar..... same feelings.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm actually the only one in my family who likes 'yard' work, 'gardening' etc. I have always felt so
happy out in the yard, love growing anything, and knew absolutely nothing when I started, just had
such a desire to 'grow stuff'. Lots of mistakes along the way, but finally some successes.

A neighbour said to me once, "You sure love to play in the dirt don't you", I just smiled and said, "yup"
and was very proud, not to be like her, pale, no muscles, not connected to the 'dirt', puzzled at my
enjoyment of such things. But I did get her attention for many years, she always had that 'look' when
she stopped to talk, amazement and wonderment as to how any 'woman' could get that dirty. lol

I would love to have fond memories of my dad, everyone should, and I know my daughters will forever. But my dad had a horrendous life, cronic alchoholism, which affected all of us in a very
bad way. But, enough of that, as my mother was a loyal solid good parent, and she used to sit
on the porch, and watch me work in the garden, cut the grass, and such, and I can see her anytime
I want, just by closing my eyes and picture her doing that. (tears), but happy ones.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Taloola

Good post girl - I can see why you feel good working the soil.... it's so rewarding too. Your mother sounds like a peach and a strong peach at that!

I shed a few tears too when I thought of my dad's old hat.... tonight after work I'll dig it out of its storage box and set in on a bookshelf .... it needs a place of honor...(it probably needs airing too ha).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Taloola

Good post girl - I can see why you feel good working the soil.... it's so rewarding too. Your mother sounds like a peach and a strong peach at that!

I shed a few tears too when I thought of my dad's old hat.... tonight after work I'll dig it out of its storage box and set in on a bookshelf .... it needs a place of honor...(it probably needs airing too ha).

We have four daughters, and when I think of the future, and those girls reflecting back about their
dad, they will have so much comfort and a very cozy feeling of security, as he has loved them without
condition all of his life, and although he didn't have much education, worked hard in a lumber mill all
of his life, the qualities he has cannot be taught by anyone, it is inside, and they can depend on him
anytime, anywhere and that must be a very important aspect any daughter could take with her
through life. I am so thankful they have that, cause I know only too well what it is like 'not' to
have had that, although my dad was 'very' intelligent, great education, the potential to be and
do whatever he wanted, he chose to go down the slippery slide to despair and lonliness and
failure, it is so sad to look back now, as I don't have any bad feelings for him, just a sadness
that he did not fulfill his life the way he could have. A story many could tell I guess.

Yes, get that hat out, and cherish it.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Taloola

Oooops more waterworks - maybe I'll go home at lunch and get that sad relic out....

Your dad did the best he could - often intelligent people are very frail in other ways - it seems we are given different gifts and being bright doesn't always score big in the success department.

I'm happy you went on to make a large contingent of more females ha.... my favorite model.... we were blessed with seven girls and one boy so you can see the need my father had to escape.... he wasn't well educated himself - he took night classes to get some kind of formal extended education but he had to work to start supporting the babies which kept arriving.... sometimes he would make an error in grammar and two of my diva sisters would cast scathing looks around daring us not to say anything to correct him.... which was a wise move..... we loved him with or without errors included.

Dads are so tremendously important to daughters.... of course sons as well.... but we are just now beginning to discover that male role model in a girl's life can impact her life in such important ways.
Love is such a simple thing .... and we make it so very complicated.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Taloola

Oooops more waterworks - maybe I'll go home at lunch and get that sad relic out....

Your dad did the best he could - often intelligent people are very frail in other ways - it seems we are given different gifts and being bright doesn't always score big in the success department.

I'm happy you went on to make a large contingent of more females ha.... my favorite model.... we were blessed with seven girls and one boy so you can see the need my father had to escape.... he wasn't well educated himself - he took night classes to get some kind of formal extended education but he had to work to start supporting the babies which kept arriving.... sometimes he would make an error in grammar and two of my diva sisters would cast scathing looks around daring us not to say anything to correct him.... which was a wise move..... we loved him with or without errors included.

Dads are so tremendously important to daughters.... of course sons as well.... but we are just now beginning to discover that male role model in a girl's life can impact her life in such important ways.
Love is such a simple thing .... and we make it so very complicated.

Oh, the grammar thing, so familiar, my husband makes the odd mistake too, always has embarrassed me, but yes, we will 'not' correct him or say anything to belittle him, as hard as it is for me, as I am a bit of a snob in some ways,(given to me very affectionately by my mother), I don't ever want to hurt him, as there is so many more important things in life, than putting all the words in the right places, and who am I to talk anyway.
And yes, when my four daughters were growing up, I said to my mother one day, "I have been blessed with these beautiful girls" and it is best, as the males in this family haven't done very well, as, my
brother went down the same road as my dad.
When I look back to the life of my dad now, I can see all of his good points, as he had many, but they didn't get a chance to shine, and all of his failures and weaknesses I leave with him, as they don't
belong to me, and I won't dwell on them.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Taloola

This thread is such a fine one - am still sitting at work when I should be getting some lunch into me...
but I keep reading all the wonderful things.....

When I was in school we were asked to write a letter to a relative or a loved one....

I wrote my dad and said all the things I could never speak about to him....the disappointments I delivered to my family, not being as bright or smart as my sisters, that kind of thing.... but after a while when I started on how I felt about him...the love came pouring out and comprised the major portion of the long long letter.

I think it was the first time I realized how much he had given me without framing lessons into learning lessons, but instead knowing lessons and understanding lessons, which made life more clear to me.

How such a huge quiet man have so much to give all of us I'll never know, but it was beautiful and still is to remember. I think he still walks beside me along the bumpy road I have travelled.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
HA!

I was just scrolling up to the first post on this topic.... I'll bet Sanctus never expected this reaction when the first sentence of his link read:

Fragrant and fertile, elephant dung gets new life as compost.

LOLOL

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Ha, that's right, it definitely grew into something very special.
I'm sure Sanctus is reading and enjoying this as much as we are.

OK, I'm off to the yard now, with great gusto, and great memories.

Thank you, have a good lunch and enjoy your day as I will.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I would love to have fond memories of my dad, everyone should, and I know my daughters will forever. But my dad had a horrendous life, cronic alchoholism, which affected all of us in a very
bad way...

I think that's part of why some of my childhood memories about my dad stand out so vividly. He was an awful drunk in those years. In order to catch him 'as himself' you had to be out in the fields, or in the corrals with him, while he was working. It made them special, unusual moments. Once he got in from working (pipelining full time, grain farming and cattle farming the rest of the time), he just drank. Our home life was horrific then.

Once we sold the farm, and moved into town, he was a different man and the drink lessened considerably.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
*sigh* The song popped into my head, and I thought it suited the thread well. It always makes me want to cry.

http://video.music.yahoo.com/up/mus...ahoo.com/relaunch/?app=video&fp=1&vid=8611384

i know a girl
she puts the color inside of my world
she's just like a maze
where all of the walls all continually change

I've done all i can
to stand on the steps with my heart in my hands
Now i started to think
maybe its got nothing to do with me.

so fathers be good to your daughters,
daughters will love like you do,
girls become lovers who turn into mothers
so mothers be good to your daughters too.

Oh

Oh you see that skin?
It's the same she's been standing in
Since the day she saw him walk away
Now she's left
Cleaning up the mess he made

Oh yeah

daughters will love like you do, yeah
so mothers be good to your daughters too.

boys you can break
find out how much they can take
boys will be strong and
boys soldier on
but boys would be gone
without warmth of a woman's good good heart

on behalf of every man
looking out for every girl
you are the god and the weight of her world
on behalf of ever man
who's looking out for every girl
you are the god and you are the weight of her world

daughters will love like you do,
so mothers be good to your daughters too
so mothers be good to your daughters too

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Taloola and Karrie and Sanctus

Thank you for one of the most terrific threads I have had the pleasure to be a part of in my forum life...

Reading and sharing was absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much.

waterworks again...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think that's part of why some of my childhood memories about my dad stand out so vividly. He was an awful drunk in those years. In order to catch him 'as himself' you had to be out in the fields, or in the corrals with him, while he was working. It made them special, unusual moments. Once he got in from working (pipelining full time, grain farming and cattle farming the rest of the time), he just drank. Our home life was horrific then.

Once we sold the farm, and moved into town, he was a different man and the drink lessened considerably.

It's too bad so many of us have to have this connection, as there are so many stories, and I wonder
how many families were 'wasted', had so many broken connections, because of 'drink'.
I could right a 'miserable' book, but I really don't have time for misery, as it takes up constructive
time, which I can fill with activities that will cause 'good' memories for someone eventually.