Teachers drop the Holocaust to avoid offending Muslims

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By LAURA CLARK -

British Schools are dropping the Holocaust from history lessons to avoid offending Muslim pupils, a Governmentbacked study has revealed.
It found some teachers are reluctant to cover the atrocity for fear of upsetting students whose beliefs include Holocaust denial.
There is also resistance to tackling the 11th century Crusades - where Christians fought Muslim armies for control of Jerusalem - because lessons often contradict what is taught in local mosques.
The findings have prompted claims that some schools are using history 'as a vehicle for promoting political correctness'.
The study, funded by the Department for Education and Skills, looked into 'emotive and controversial' history teaching in primary and secondary schools.
It found some teachers are dropping courses covering the Holocaust at the earliest opportunity over fears Muslim pupils might express anti-Semitic and anti-Israel reactions in class.
The researchers gave the example of a secondary school in an unnamed northern city, which dropped the Holocaust as a subject for GCSE coursework.
The report said teachers feared confronting 'anti-Semitic sentiment and Holocaust denial among some Muslim pupils'.
It added: "In another department, the Holocaust was taught despite anti-Semitic sentiment among some pupils.
"But the same department deliberately avoided teaching the Crusades at Key Stage 3 (11- to 14-year-olds) because their balanced treatment of the topic would have challenged what was taught in some local mosques."
A third school found itself 'strongly challenged by some Christian parents for their treatment of the Arab-Israeli conflict-and the history of the state of Israel that did not accord with the teachings of their denomination'.
The report concluded: "In particular settings, teachers of history are unwilling to challenge highly contentious or charged versions of history in which pupils are steeped at home, in their community or in a place of worship."
But Chris McGovern, history education adviser to the former Tory government, said: "History is not a vehicle for promoting political correctness. Children must have access to knowledge of these controversial subjects, whether palatable or unpalatable."
The researchers also warned that a lack of subject knowledge among teachers - particularly at primary level - was leading to history being taught in a 'shallow way leading to routine and superficial learning'.
Lessons in difficult topics were too often 'bland, simplistic and unproblematic' and bored pupils.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
If this is what multiculturalism leads to it's time for some rough justice. In Canada we'll likely face similar episodes as conniving special interests have co-opted parliament for years. It's all a sham. But the multicults must be put on notice: if you're going to screw with our traditions and basic belief systems we're going to hang you out to dry.

csanopal

Electoral Member
Dec 22, 2006
Toronto, ON
They have not worried about offending Jews for all these years.

Are they saying their Muslim citizens are more important?

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I think this is ridiculous, we will have to stand up for our traditions and if that includes teaching about the Holocaust so be it. People seem to criticize the reaction to Muslim and Hisidic demands in Quebec but we don't want our open society to change. I haven't heard of any others in Canada doing very much. A lot of people will wake up when it is too late.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I checked my PC handbook, nowhere did it endorse this sort of behaviour. In fact it seemed to argue that this was the sort of things people who believe in political correctness should fight, moreover, that everyone should be appalled at the propagandistic approach to history.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It seems like the UK has a radical islamic element beyond what we see in North America. Why are they caving in for the radicals?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
It seems like the UK has a radical islamic element beyond what we see in North America. Why are they caving in for the radicals?

This report actually seems to be counter to their current stance regarding islam (or is it Islam?). There has been a dirge of reports of new laws enabling the school boards to enforce dress codes that can basically eliminate veils. I am not exactly sure what "some teachers" actually entails...

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Who is Laura Clark and where was this published? It would be good to have links to these articles.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
the national curriculum in the UK actually reccomends full coverage of these subjects. the report is finding that many teachers are just too wet and/or too intimidated to do what they're supposed to do. It not a legislative problem it's a personal problem for some of the teachers. Unfortunately there's a giant shortage of teachers in the UK because of the societal dislike for children, so they can't fire the teachers for not doing their jobs

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Herman, why do the British dislike children? Granted, many are obnoxious and perverse but that's true of children everywhere. What's nettling the British?

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
The act of P.C. is always started by sectular people thinking that all religion of intolerant and therefore is fair game for their rule making. It is generally against what is perceived as white Christian faith, but can be against any faith.

Most islamic followers are NOT out to get Jews!! for that matter these two races have lived together quite well for thousands of years. Most problems arose with the artifical formation of Israel. May Arabs upset that land was taken for this purpose. They then watched this new nation thrive, while they faultered. This is what created enemies..not their faith...

Alas the U.K. has alway been out to lunch when it comes to P.C. remember bah bah Black sheep being an issue??

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Hoew many teachers is some? There are probably some teachers who do just about anything, and have so since forever.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Herman, why do the British dislike children? Granted, many are obnoxious and perverse but that's true of children everywhere. What's nettling the British?

I honestly don't know. I'm not saying it's all-pervading or even a strong dislike, but it's part of the reason I left. There are a lot of people who say things like "oh i hate kids, i'll never have any" and when a baby is in a restaurant anyone nearby groans inwardly or outwardly and says to themselves "bloody kids". There are shops which allow dogs but not kids. In Canada, however, my experience is that kids are smiled at and waved to and interacted with, and generally tolerated when they're being noisy, although even that somehow seems to happen less... maybe i'm biased. The difference is small but important I think.

Having said all that it's not a big thing but a very subtle thing running under the surface, but I think it results in a lot of bad things, and is probably simply a result of overpopulation. A candadian, even once they've visited the UK might not realise just how crowded it is. Newfoundland is almost as big as the entire UK but has a population less than 100 times less.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Hoew many teachers is some? There are probably some teachers who do just about anything, and have so since forever.

good point. probably some of the white teachers who work in eastern and cenral london and birmingham and manchester and other high muslem proportion areas.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Herman, I read your link and I see the Brits are trying to give teachers a helping hand in discipline:

"Teachers have been given tough new powers to restrain and punish classroom yobs.
From now on their rights to use force to control aggressive pupils and to impose disciplinary sanctions are enshrined in law for the first time."

Good to see! Certainly, in Canada the simpleminded - and there are plenty of Canadians with no more meat in their nut than an acorn - have to be confronted in their campaign to lionize children and champion their rights. We need functioning schools. And teachers confident of what it is they're doing and the means to do it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I honestly don't know. I'm not saying it's all-pervading or even a strong dislike, but it's part of the reason I left. There are a lot of people who say things like "oh i hate kids, i'll never have any" and when a baby is in a restaurant anyone nearby groans inwardly or outwardly and says to themselves "bloody kids". There are shops which allow dogs but not kids. In Canada, however, my experience is that kids are smiled at and waved to and interacted with, and generally tolerated when they're being noisy, although even that somehow seems to happen less... maybe i'm biased. The difference is small but important I think.

Having said all that it's not a big thing but a very subtle thing running under the surface, but I think it results in a lot of bad things, and is probably simply a result of overpopulation. A candadian, even once they've visited the UK might not realise just how crowded it is. Newfoundland is almost as big as the entire UK but has a population less than 100 times less.
As long as parents are being responsible with where they take kids others shouldn't have a problem. If you're taking toddlers to a black tie affair that's worth people snickering. If it's to a family restaurant that's fair game. Anyone with a problem with kids in a family restaurant shouldn't be there in the first place.