Canadian boy, parents arrive in Toronto after Texas prison stay

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A nine-year-old Canadian boy and his Iranian parents arrived safely in Toronto on Wednesday night after being held for six weeks in a Texas detention centre.

More...

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
U.S. officials discovered their false documents and detained them for five days before sending them to the T. Don Hutto detention centre near Austin, Texas. The converted medium-security prison has been condemned by human rights groups and is the subject of a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union.
The family said living in the centre was awful.

Im sorry but they broke the law....were they sposed to be put up in a 5 star hotel?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Now Canada can begin to bring the rest of the extended family to live with them.

I love how the article says detention center and the post here on CC says prison. It does not surprise me though.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I agree with self. The family should not have forged documents. The forms are there for a reason and idiots who think they can pay for a false document and get away with it deserve to be punished. Meanwhile many law-abiding people fill in thousands of forms, tell the immigration people their wife's bra size and what they ate for tea last thursday, pay hundreds of dollars for a doctor to grab their balls and scribble on a form, and then get to wait in line for two years.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
There is a difference bewteen refugees and immigrants. If someone has to forge documents to get out of Iran and to a safe country, I'm not going to begrudge them that. Anything short of a hijacking to get out is fine with me. Better than being killed by secret police, stoned to death or whatever else the religious courts over there inflict as punishement.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Now Canada can begin to bring the rest of the extended family to live with them.

I love how the article says detention center and the post here on CC says prison. It does not surprise me though.

? I can't for the life of me find where it says prison, except in saying that the detention center was a converted prison. Where did it or anyone say prison?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Cool, I'm all for the child being placed with CAS and the parents being deported to a country of their choosing.