Harry snubbed by airbase shop staff

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Harry snubbed by airbase shop staff

9th March 2007

Recognise me? Harry, without the camouflage, had a bad day at the shops - because he isn't American.

Being third in line to the throne should mean Prince Harry has no problem queuing in shops - but that was not the case when he paid a surprise visit to a US airbase.

The 22-year-old Prince and some Army colleagues found themselves in a tricky situation as they tried to buy an iPod from the exchange shop at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk.

Sources at the airbase said the Prince entered the shop wearing full Army uniform accompanied by colleagues and his bodyguard.

One of the Prince's friends then tried to buy an iPod from the store, but was turned away because he was not a US servicemen or family member at the American airbase.

US forces spokesman Lieutenant Colonel David A Konop, told the Bury Free Press newspaper that staff did not recognise the Prince.

"The girl at the till just did not recognise the Prince at all," he said.

"I know all the staff were surprised when they realised who had been in the store. If we had known Prince Harry was in the store, we would have arranged something special with the RAF commander of the base."

Lt Col Konop added: "We're just really proud and pleased that Prince Harry chose to step on to our base and in the store.

"As you can imagine, the visit has created a lot of interest on the base as most Americans are fascinated with the British royal family."

Prince Harry is due to deploy to Iraq in the summer and recently underwent training at the Stanta Battle Area near Thetford, Norfolk, as part of his preparation.

A Clarence House spokeswoman said she was not able to comment.

dailymail.co.uk

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Oh Please! Not every american is stuck on the royal family! I could even tell ya what they looked like and WHY should rules be changed over an iPod! Sorry guys Im all for keepin this kid safe but when he acts like a spoiled brat he's on his own.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
If he wants the respect of his men then maybe he should just follow the rules. Doesn't sound like it was a big deal though.
That stuff about Americans being ga-ga for the royals is just something Brits tell themselves out of denile.:wave:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
If he wants the respect of his men then maybe he should just follow the rules. Doesn't sound like it was a big deal though.
That stuff about Americans being ga-ga for the royals is just something Brits tell themselves out of denile.:wave:

LOL maybe its just me.....I didnt know who Diana was til she died :(

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

if he wants the respect of his men, he should leave his bodyguard at home.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If he's going to move arround amongst the rabble he should wear a crown and carry his septre, this young nobel has a lot to learn about the filthy underclass what what eh:laughing7:

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I kinda have to say that I respect the prince for not making plans ahead of time and acting like pretty much a regular guy and going into a store...and then the fact that his friend was refused...well that's just the way things go, and it doesn't seem that the prince put up much of a fuss about it, so that's pretty cool. It sounds to me like he was acting like a regular guy...that's pretty cool. If he had arranged things before hand and set up special treatment, well, that would be kinda expected. He didn't do that...he went in with a friend...and a bodygaurd. He was just another soldier...um...but with a bodyguard. That's a pretty cool thing I think.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I kinda have to say that I respect the prince for not making plans ahead of time and acting like pretty much a regular guy and going into a store...and then the fact that his friend was refused...well that's just the way things go, and it doesn't seem that the prince put up much of a fuss about it, so that's pretty cool. It sounds to me like he was acting like a regular guy...that's pretty cool. If he had arranged things before hand and set up special treatment, well, that would be kinda expected. He didn't do that...he went in with a friend...and a bodygaurd. He was just another soldier...um...but with a bodyguard. That's a pretty cool thing I think.

He failed to secure the Ipod. It was a tacticle error, which cost his men humiliation at the hands of a common dry goods clerk. That's not in the finest tradition of the British Army, I'm afraid it's disaster.:laughing7: