Term 'visible minorities' may be discriminatory, UN body warns Canada

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Canada should reconsider using the term "visible minorities," a United Nations anti-racism watchdog reports, suggesting the phrase is discriminatory.

More...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Canada should reconsider using the term "visible minorities," a United Nations anti-racism watchdog reports, suggesting the phrase is discriminatory.

Now that is just about the height of stupidity. You can't refer to a thing by its name, so invent a new name, until we decide that you can't use that name either.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I always thought visible monrity was kind of ambiguous. Perhaps I look like a minority, or perhaps there are people from minority groups that look more like the majority than I. I think it's a wierd term.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I see a lotta criticisms but no suggestions as to what visible minorities should be called.
"Canada should reconsider using the term "visible minorities," a United Nations anti-racism watchdog reports, suggesting the phrase is discriminatory." The UN should consider stuffing a sock in it.
I have a friend in a wheelchair who just chuckles every time people come up with a new appellation for people in his situation. He can rattle off better than a half dozen different things like "cripples", "handicapped", "disabled", "physically limited", "mobility impaired". "Visible minority " fits, too. Can't see anyone getting worked up over it except the idiots with entirely waaaaaaaaaay too much sensitivity and time.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I don't see any harm in at least looking at the term and thinking about it, which is what I see being asked. I think it is worthwhile to consider the terms that are used by governments on occassion and to alter if it is deemed necessary. I don't see anything wrong with this at all. I don't think considering and idea, or a proposal is a bad thing.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I see a lotta criticisms but no suggestions as to what visible minorities should be called.
"Canada should reconsider using the term "visible minorities," a United Nations anti-racism watchdog reports, suggesting the phrase is discriminatory." The UN should consider stuffing a sock in it.
I have a friend in a wheelchair who just chuckles every time people come up with a new appellation for people in his situation. He can rattle off better than a half dozen different things like "cripples", "handicapped", "disabled", "physically limited", "mobility impaired". "Visible minority " fits, too. Can't see anyone getting worked up over it except the idiots with entirely waaaaaaaaaay too much sensitivity and time.
My personal favourite, "Holy crip, he's a crapple!!!" Care or Peter Griffin, of Family Guy fame.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Let's see what the alternatives are:

Niggers
Pakis
Wops
Chinks
Japs
Krauts

I'm sure the list can go on and on.

Or,perhaps, we could use "visible minorities"????
Ten, what a brilliant notion this term you have struck is. Excellent formulation of sensitivity and intellect. Good on ya!!!

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Maybe United Nations is a misnomer itself. Maybe Goatsucking Weinies is better.
I think they would kindly suggest that you reconsidered that phrase....:)

Again, though...I don't think there is anything wrong with suggesting that a phrase should be looked at, and that there should be some thought as the use of words and phrases by government officials. The government of canada may decide that, no, the term visible minorities IS the most appropriate terminology and disregard the idea of changing things up. But it doesn't hurt to think about things, does it?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Again, though...I don't think there is anything wrong with suggesting that a phrase should be looked at, and that there should be some thought as the use of words and phrases by government officials. The government of canada may decide that, no, the term visible minorities IS the most appropriate terminology and disregard the idea of changing things up. But it doesn't hurt to think about things, does it?

Any term that expresses difference ends up passing out of favor at some point. Black, Native, deaf, blind, disabled, mentally handicapped, all end up being used negatively at some point, and take on a negative context to the people who bear these labels, and so they no longer want to use them. Visible minority seems like a pretty basic blanket statement easily used to describe many people. Perhaps it's too broad of a term, covering too many people. perhaps it strips away a person's racial identity and instead lumps them in with every other 'different' person in the country. But, it's so difficult for a government to address difference without offending someone, someway, that I really thought it was one of the more diplomatic terms to come out in a long time. It acknowledges the struggle a person faces due to difference, without labeling what their difference is. At least, that's the way I view it.

But you're right, questioning the way it's viewed can't hurt.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

More fun to tell them to stick their PCness. :)

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Any term that expresses difference ends up passing out of favor at some point. Black, Native, deaf, blind, disabled, mentally handicapped, all end up being used negatively at some point, and take on a negative context to the people who bear these labels, and so they no longer want to use them. Visible minority seems like a pretty basic blanket statement easily used to describe many people. Perhaps it's too broad of a term, covering too many people. perhaps it strips away a person's racial identity and instead lumps them in with every other 'different' person in the country. But, it's so difficult for a government to address difference without offending someone, someway, that I really thought it was one of the more diplomatic terms to come out in a long time. It acknowledges the struggle a person faces due to difference, without labeling what their difference is. At least, that's the way I view it.

Well, you have raised a good point...you cannot please all of the people all of the time and no matter what you do SOMEONE will be hurt or bothered or angry for some reason...which is not really a criticism...it's just kinda the way it is.

snfu73

disturber of the peace

PCness kinda sounds like....wellll....you know....

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Beats being called invisible minority which s what a lot of visibly different people used to be.

"Term 'visible minorities' may be discriminatory, UN body warns Canada ". So could the term "those people" or just plain "us". lol

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Beats being called invisible minority which s what a lot of visibly different people used to be.

"Term 'visible minorities' may be discriminatory, UN body warns Canada ". So could the term "those people" or just plain "us". lol
Well...why not at least think about the terms. At least someone is thinking about it, as apposed to saying "We're going to call you all YOBS whether you like it or not!". At least people are giving it thought. And the UN isn't exactly saying "The new universal law is that you DO NOT USE THIS PHRASE under penalty of having your nation severed from the planet and send spinning into space like an odd shaped frisbee!". Nooo, that isn't happening. People are merely saying, "Hey, let's look at these terms we got going here and see how they affect people. We see a cause for concern...maybe we should contemplate this a bit." Sounds okay to me!