Easter Bunny Banned from City Hall in St. Paul, MN! Christmas fuss all over again...

The actions of the City Hall were in your opinion:

• Total voters

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Easter Bunny Banned
ST. PAUL, MINN---Peter Cottontail won’t be hopping down the bunny trail at St. Paul City Hall.

First there were the attacks on Santa Claus and Christmas and now it’s the Easter Bunny.

A display featuring a toy Easter bunny, pastel-colored eggs and a sign with the words ‘Happy Easter” was removed from the lobby of City Hall this week by the city’s human rights director because he said a citizen had complained and he was afraid it might offend non-Christians.

The decorations hadn’t been purchased with tax dollars. They were donated by a city council secretary.

One city council member said it had “gone too far. We can’t celebrate spring with bunnies and fake grass?”

But the council president, Kathy Lantry said the issue was about separation of church and state and that “as government, we have a different responsibility about advancing the cause of religion which we are not going to do”.

“I absolutely wonder how colored eggs and bunnies and chickens are Christian”, one councilman said. 3-24-06

© 2006 North Country Gazette

Source: http://www.northcountrygazette.org/articles/032406BunnyBan.html

when will the silliness end, WHEN?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Why is it important to have the Easter Bunny at City Hall?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Because....uhhhh...look, just stop questioning these things...the bunny MUST be there....okay!!?? God, you hethens are all the same with your questioning!!!

Ha ha, I want to know why the damn rabbit has to be there!

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
"But the council president, Kathy Lantry said the issue was about separation of church and state and that “as government, we have a different responsibility about advancing the cause of religion which we are not going to do”."

BINGO

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I can't understand why a city hall would have a rabbit (or decorations) in it in the first place.
Aside from that, I couldn't vote in the poll because my answer wasn't supplied. My answer? They're nuts, they should lighten up, and they should grow up. Many Christians will be offended that it was taken down. Perhaps, folks should do like what was done in "The Godfather" and put a rabbit's head in the council's bed. :D

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
Maybe because this country is no longer completely monosaturated with the white Christians who founded it, we have to make some room for the beliefs and feelings of others.

And since I don't see to many of the aforementioned anxious for its civil service to celebrate Ramadan or recognize Chanukah or the beliefs of any other number of people who believe in invisible omnipotent people, this way seems far easier and brings far less social burden.

Besides, it's a city hall, a hall of the people, funded by tax-payers. Last time I checked, that was state. And church is church. See a correlation? See how they are separated? Good, cause now in St. Paul's city hall, for the past year, so have I.

I'd be fine if they took out a pair of scissors and cut those silly words away though, and left the cute bunny on the wall. Speaking of which, I could go for rabbit right about now...

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
But its the same issue as Christmas again.

Easter can be interprutted 2 ways:

The reserection of Jesus Christ celebrated by people of Christian/Catholic belief

OR

A time for parents to spoil their children with chocolate and treats!

So why can't city hall let the bunny stay up, for the children!

Think of the children!

Sort of reminds me how the New York City School District allowed Muslim and Jewish religious symbols in their school, but only allowed the Christmas Tree for Christians, and no nativity scenes.

This is what I call a cover to the deeper issue.. Atheists alike want to throttle religion further and further away from our culture.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
But its the same issue as Christmas again.

Easter can be interprutted 2 ways:

The reserection of Jesus Christ celebrated by people of Christian/Catholic belief

OR

A time for parents to spoil their children with chocolate and treats!

So why can't city hall let the bunny stay up, for the children!

Think of the children!

Sort of reminds me how the New York City School District allowed Muslim and Jewish religious symbols in their school, but only allowed the Christmas Tree for Christians, and no nativity scenes.

This is what I call a cover to the deeper issue.. Atheists alike want to throttle religion further and further away from our culture.
What children at City Hall?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I know why this is a problem, now the civil servants won't be able to go on their easter egg hunt! I'd be pissed too.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Shouldn't there be a law to enforce Easter Egg hunts in public buildings?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I wonder. Are we absolutely sure that the current way we celebrate Halloween, Easter wasn't organized by Lowneys, Nestlies, Hersheys, etc...It's all part of a plot I tell you....:wave:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I wonder. Are we absolutely sure that the current way we celebrate Halloween, Easter wasn't organized by Lowneys, Nestlies, Hersheys, etc...It's all part of a plot I tell you....:wave:
And Valentines Day.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ahh at least theres always St. Patricks Day. If they want to take that away they'll have to pry the wiskey bottle from my clutches, not an easy task.

On that note, anyone ever find it funny that everyone and their dog's all come out to celebrate their Irish roots on St. Patty's day? Seems to me I don't need a special occasion to celebrate my Irish heritage or getting drunk.:cheers:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Ahh at least theres always St. Patricks Day. If they want to take that away they'll have to pry the wiskey bottle from my clutches, not an easy task.

On that note, anyone ever find it funny that everyone and their dog's all come out to celebrate their Irish roots on St. Patty's day? Seems to me I don't need a special occasion to celebrate my Irish heritage or getting drunk.:cheers:

And for some reason of their own, the silly buggers feel they must celebrate St. Paddies on my birthday. Oi just might be buyin' miself a bottle of Paddies to celebrate on me own.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
you wouldn't be surprised to see a christmas card from a christian with a robin on the front (or chickadee or whatever u guys have over here). A rabbit is just a sign of spring, which happens to be easter time, it's also a sign of life (they're renowned for it). I don't think there's any fuss necessary.