White Supremacist Gang Gains Clout

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
By GILLIAN FLACCUS

BUENA PARK, Calif. (AP) -- The white supremacist gang Public Enemy No. 1 began two decades ago as a group of teenage punk-rock fans from upper-middle class bedroom communities in Southern California.
Now, the violent gang that deals in drugs, guns and identity theft is gaining clout across the West after forging an alliance with the notorious Aryan Brotherhood, authorities say.
Police say the gang has compiled a "hit list" targeting five officers and a gang prosecutor - a sign of just how brazen Public Enemy has become.
"They make police officers very, very nervous," said Cpl. Nate Booth, a gang detective with the Buena Park Police Department in Orange County.
Law enforcement officials trace the gang's rise to shifts in the power structure inside prisons.
The Aryan Brotherhood has long been the dominant white supremacist gang behind bars, with the Nazi Low Riders acting as its foot soldiers on the outside for drug dealing and identity theft.
In 2000, officials reclassified the Low Riders as a prison-based gang and began sending its members to solitary confinement as soon as they were imprisoned.
The crackdown hurt the gang's ability to interact with the Aryan Brotherhood, which turned to Public Enemy, authorities say. The alliance was cemented in 2005 when Donald Reed "Popeye" Mazza, an alleged leader of Public Enemy, was inducted into the Aryan Brotherhood.
The pact has increased Public Enemy's wealth and recruiting power, said Steve Slaten, a special agent for the California Department of Corrections.
In the past three years, its ranks have doubled to at least 400, but authorities suspect there could be hundreds of other members operating under the radar. They said heavy recruiting is taking place throughout California and Arizona, and members have been picked up by police in Nevada and Idaho.
"They move around. We find them everywhere," said Lowell Smith of the Orange County Probation Department.
The gang traces its roots to the punk rock subculture in Long Beach in the 1980s. It soon shifted its base to nearby Orange County and in the 1990s began recruiting what police call "bored latchkey kids" - white teenagers from upper-middle class neighborhoods.
Public Enemy is now involved in identity theft. Booth said the gang has gone from swiping personal information from mailboxes and trash to stealing entire credit profiles with the help of girlfriends and wives who take jobs at banks, mortgage companies and even state motor vehicle departments.
Money from those operations is used to fuel its methamphetamine business, he said.
Two months ago, police agencies in Orange County arrested 67 suspected members after learning about the hit list against officers in Anaheim, Buena Park and Costa Mesa. Those arrested in the raid were charged with conspiracy to commit murder, possession of illegal weapons and identity theft, among other things. Police have not released their names or further details because the investigation is continuing.
Booth recalled another case in which a member of the gang fired dozens of rounds at police from a car driven by his girlfriend during a high-speed freeway pursuit. After being arrested, the man was taken to an emergency room, where he grabbed a scalpel and tried to slash a deputy before cutting himself, Booth said.
Authorities worry that Public Enemy is using stolen credit information to learn the home addresses of police and their families. Some officers have gone to court to have addresses removed from those records, Booth said.

© 2007 The Associated Press.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
White supremecists you say....they are almost as bad a religious supremicists who insist that their take on the world is the only way things should or for that matter CAN be...often with dangerous results.

They should all be dealt with.

If you are equating the white supremacist with such groups as the islamo-facist and abortion doctor killers, I agree. But relating them to mainstream slightly zealous christians is a bit far fetched. Is actually way out to left field. IMO.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Justice is too lenient.

However the first white supremacists were the KKK, but there will always be people like this in the world. These are people who are afraid of those different from them. They will give all kinds of excuses but it boils down to fear of one thing or the other.

Here in Canada hopefully our anti-hate law will protect us somewhat from this problem.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Funny, I don't see banning someone from wearing a scarf (which I disagree with) anywhere near comparible to holding that same 10 year old girl down, raping her then crucifying her onto a local doorframe after slitting her throat anywhere near the same level of wrong. Not even close.

People who make such drivel are the type of person who devalues true tragedy by comparing every little thing to it (" I stubbed my toe! Its another Nazi Holocaust in terms of suffering!")

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Funny, I don't see banning someone from wearing a scarf (which I disagree with) anywhere near comparible to holding that same 10 year old girl down, raping her then crucifying her onto a local doorframe after slitting her throat anywhere near the same level of wrong. Not even close.

I sincerely hope that what you speak of was a hypothetical in order to make a point, and isn't something that actually occurred!

Sparrow said:
However the first white supremacists were the KKK, but there will always be people like this in the world.

I really wanna believe that someday, there won't be... in the not too distant future.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Maybe this is not exactly the right thread to ask this question, but I've been wondering about one thing for a long time. You see, so far I've lived in Russia my whole life. In Russia we have a lot of different nations, but these nations are rather small in number, as compared to the Russians. So the overhelming majority of the population belongs to one nation, as well as to one race. And I would like to ask all the Canadians and Amercians on this forum - how does it feel to live in a truly multi-national, multi-race country? Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to offend any particular race or nation, and I don't mean to sound discriminating, I am just curious as a person who haven't had such experience. Do you have a feeling of national unity, despite the fact that the population of your countries consists of people of different nations? And if the feeling of national unity does exist, is it shared by people of different races, or is it limited to representatives of one race or one nation?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
There is great pressure in Canada to conform to multicultural expectations. Big money is spent promoting the gospel of groupthink. Last summer I noticed many Canadian stations carrying simultaneously a voice-over that accompanied their station signature: "proud to be part of our community and Canada's diversity..." Something to that effect. Obviously, the hand of the CRTC was at work. On the street, the majority I meet have reservations on the policy. But hate laws here have made many people uneasy about speaking out. Like smokers, the government ministries in charge of onethink are coercing compliance. Freedom here, as far as I'm concerned, has taken some major hits in the last thirty years.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
Maybe this is not exactly the right thread to ask this question, but I've been wondering about one thing for a long time. You see, so far I've lived in Russia my whole life. In Russia we have a lot of different nations, but these nations are rather small in number, as compared to the Russians. So the overhelming majority of the population belongs to one nation, as well as to one race. And I would like to ask all the Canadians and Amercians on this forum - how does it feel to live in a truly multi-national, multi-race country? Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to offend any particular race or nation, and I don't mean to sound discriminating, I am just curious as a person who haven't had such experience. Do you have a feeling of national unity, despite the fact that the population of your countries consists of people of different nations? And if the feeling of national unity does exist, is it shared by people of different races, or is it limited to representatives of one race or one nation?

This is not a difficult question, for me personally, I can't speak for others... I have an American Father, and a British Mother, and I was born in America. As a child we hopped back and forward across the sea fairly frequently, but most of my schooling was in England. I live there now for most of the year since my Father is now retired, but my Mother is still a practising GP here. But, and it's a big but... I have no compunction in saying that I have absolutely no feelings of patriotism for England whatsoever! The moment my Mother retires my ass is back home where I DO feel 'at home!' Having said that, I do however love living in a cosmopolitan setting... My folks have a recording of a song, who the singer is or when it was recorded, I haven't a clue, but the lyrics go something like, 'The ink is black, the page is white, together we'll learn to read and write..' For me, that's the type of world I wanna live in, in harmony, I don't care if a person is sky blue pink with yellow dots, to me we are all the same. I love to learn about other cultures, and feel totally at home in cosmopolitan society.