Falling ice from CN tower closes freeway

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Cops Close Parts Of Gardiner, Downtown Over Falling Ice Fears

Monday March 5, 2007
Police have closed parts of the downtown Gardiner Expressway and King St. over fears of falling ice from the CN Tower.
The highway's eastbound lanes were shut between Spadina Ave. and Yonge St. at about 8am, with cars being forced onto the Lake Shore at Spadina. And shortly thereafter the westbound lanes closed in the same spot as well, with cars having to move onto the Lake Shore at Jarvis.
The closure occurred at the height of the Monday morning rush hour, causing significant traffic backups in both directions.
High winds coupled with the sun warming up a sheet of ice on the side of the Tower, which built up after last week's ice storm, are resulting in slippery slabs falling hundreds of feet to the roadway below. At least one piece estimated to be the size of a table top has already fallen onto the busy expressway.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_8456.aspx

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I know, cost me a couple of man hours. My downtown truck was in the traffic mayham that ensued.:?

Initially I thought they were over reacting but after I thought about it ............a one pound chunk of ice falling fifteen hundred feet would make a sizable dent in someone's car....or someone's head..:)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I am glad I work east of downtown, I won't have to experince the ensuing traffic jam this will create in about an hour.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Initially I thought they were over reacting but after I thought about it ............a one pound chunk of ice falling fifteen hundred feet would make a sizable dent in someone's car....or someone's head..:)

Indeed. A chunk of ice recently came flying off the roof of another tractor trailer and hit the windsheild of one of my trucks. The windshield was flexing in the wind of driving when the driver returned to the yard. Quite powerful ice can be.:|

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

On CBC radio today a police officer said ice falling from the Tower and other building cause some serious damage to vehicles this morning.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That's a long way to fall, can't imagine being inside a vehicle when that happens.

Welcome back Jay, were you on vacation, maybe some place with blue water and warm breeze?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
That's a long way to fall, can't imagine being inside a vehicle when that happens.

Welcome back Jay, were you on vacation, maybe some place with blue water and warm breeze?

Thanks Tonington!

I was rather busy. Just didn't have that quality time I used to spend with my computer. :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
On CBC radio today a police officer said ice falling from the Tower and other building cause some serious damage to vehicles this morning.

I can imagine. There was a ten story bldg. in Edmonton that had a sort of peaked roof with eves troughs I don't know if ice plugged the drains or what, but one day a rather large icicle fell to the sidewalk about ten feet away from a policeman. Within a few hours the fire dept. was there knocking down the remaining icicles. The owner changed the roof system the following Spring.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Indeed. A chunk of ice recently came flying off the roof of another tractor trailer and hit the windsheild of one of my trucks. The windshield was flexing in the wind of driving when the driver returned to the yard. Quite powerful ice can be.:|

That happened to me. Except the slab of ice twenty feet by five feet crashed onto my car, breaking the window washers and momentarily blinding me. Luckily there wasnt another car beside me at the time or I would have hit them. I never drive behind trucks in winter now.