Alberta has first human case of rabies in 2 decades

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
An Alberta man who was bitten by a bat while sleeping has developed rabies, which rarely affects humans but is often deadly, an Alberta Health official said Friday.

More...

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Must have been a Conservative, you know they're all rabid Albertans.

Must have been a white man. Otherwise tears would be streaming down your racist face while you pontificate on white men bringing the dread disease of rabies to "your" people, who were here countless centuries before us, and never got rabies until.........bla bla bla.

:pukeright:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Must have been a white man. Otherwise tears would be streaming down your racist face while you pontificate on white men bringing the dread disease of rabies to "your" people, who were here countless centuries before us, and never got rabies until.........bla bla bla.

:pukeright:

My bad, I forgot to post that comment in sarcastic purple...

Why exactly did you feel the need to bring my ethnicity into this? And for that matter, can you point to any of my posts where I have taken such a stand, without provication?

I think I have been very level headed about the whole Native thing. Although, from your constant referrence to me elsewhere, I think you have a problem with me or my ethnicity.

Have I ever told you what I think of people who point out spelling and/or grammar errors in other peoples posts?

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Whoever the guy was, he is probably going to die of the disease. I looked up a half dozen previous cases and in each case the disease was transmitted by a bat bite. Quite a few years back, a friend's dog got Rabies and had to be put down. The dog had been playing with a bat that it eventually killed. Is there a lesson here? Stay away from bats?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Whoever the guy was, he is probably going to die of the disease. I looked up a half dozen previous cases and in each case the disease was transmitted by a bat bite. Quite a few years back, a friend's dog got Rabies and had to be put down. The dog had been playing with a bat that it eventually killed. Is there a lesson here? Stay away from bats?
Was it a Louisville or Spalding???
lmao.
Seriously though, this is how my neighbours get their knickers bunched up and start buying old tennis rackets for the summer time. Not because they want to take up tennis, but they start playing bat tennis, by the porch lights.

When we first moved up here, I put in a bat box, at the back of our first house and I kept bring bats home from job sites where I would find them in the steel skeletons in the am. Bats keep bugs down. We have ditches that hold water, they bread skeeters. Bats eat skeeters.

The first time I witnessed a neighbour killing bats, I went, well batty. It almost came to fist-a-cuffs. If you keep the holes in your house screened, they won't get in. Even if they do, you can grab them like a miniture kitten and take them outside. When the spring hits, I'll get you some neat pics of all the bats that hang out behind the shutters, I love it. You can sit in my back yard and watch them at night, and not be driven into the screened porch by the bugs. Go a couple houses down the road and try that.

I feel for your friend and his dog, rabies is a problem, but I hope no one holds any ill will towords the bats, they really are benefitial.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

That's a good lesson Juan, unfortunately when one's asleep, they can bite. The lesson, I believe, is that bats don't normally bite. Like foxes, if they attack and bite, they're probably rabid. Poor guy should have got rabies shots just as a precaution.

Very sad situation. I, unlike others, take no humour from the death of another.

Ugg.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes lets all jump the gun. He got bit, he didn't get medical attention, he is quite sick now.

He is likely to die???

A lil humour is expressed over a sad situation and the humourist is taking humour from someones death, someone that hasn't died yet???

Kneejerk reactionary commentary at its best.

Some people should look on the bright side of life...

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Absolutely right. He's not dead yet (far as I know).

Did some reading and only about 2 people in recorded history in North America are KNOWN to have survived rabies without medical attention.
One was badly brain damaged. One was OK. Lady in the US.

Now that's "KNOWN" to have survived. No doubt there are thousands the medical establishment don't know about. Just oodles. Probably they survived by using medicinal herbs and ancient chants now lost in the mists of time. Woe is us.

Anyway, to put it in perspective. Jump into a volcano. Your chances are just as good.

So, I'll keep my eye on the news, and we can have a helluva good yuck when the poor bloke expires. ha ha.

I'll try and not jerk my knees.

:grommit: Sometimes this goddam place just gets too stupid. Too, just too.
Sassie left to keep her sanity. (well a few other reasons). I just might join her. Not like...........JOIN her. Leave as well. That's it. Leave as well. Leave the goddam place to the scientists:tard::tard: with the acute senses of humour, and wicked intelligence. Yes boss. Gwntogo.

Wait for me Cortez.

Take the phucken forum and shove it.

Gone.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!

shoot all bats, poison the caves and don't allow children outdoors until they're all dead.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You can survive being bitten by a rabid animal as long as you get the shots right away before the onset of the disease.........as a matter of fact, most people do survive. If you wait for the onset of Rabies, you probably won't survive.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Absolutely right. He's not dead yet (far as I know).

Did some reading and only about 2 people in recorded history in North America are KNOWN to have survived rabies without medical attention.
One was badly brain damaged. One was OK. Lady in the US.

Now that's "KNOWN" to have survived. No doubt there are thousands the medical establishment don't know about. Just oodles. Probably they survived by using medicinal herbs and ancient chants now lost in the mists of time. Woe is us.

Anyway, to put it in perspective. Jump into a volcano. Your chances are just as good.

So, I'll keep my eye on the news, and we can have a helluva good yuck when the poor bloke expires. ha ha.

I'll try and not jerk my knees.

:grommit: Sometimes this goddam place just gets too stupid. Too, just too.
Sassie left to keep her sanity. (well a few other reasons). I just might join her. Not like...........JOIN her. Leave as well. That's it. Leave as well. Leave the goddam place to the scientists:tard::tard: with the acute senses of humour, and wicked intelligence. Yes boss. Gwntogo.

Wait for me Cortez.

Take the phucken forum and shove it.

Gone.
No offence nugg, are you feeling OK?

It might suprise you, but Sass and I got along real well, I miss her. If fact I tried to bribe a Mod into letting her come back. It may even suprise you more hear I have oft enjoyed your posts, troubled by your references to me in a few, but enjoyed none the less.

I'm not sure what exactly climbed up your ass but here, take two of these and call me in the morning...

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A bit more info.

Alberta man bitten by rabid bat ignored incident

DAWN WALTON
From Monday's Globe and Mail

CALGARY — Almost seven months after he was bitten by a bat and failed to seek medical treatment, an Alberta man is now gravely ill in hospital and health officials are searching for anyone he may have had close contact with.
The man, who has not been identified, was bitten on the shoulder last August as he slept in his rural home east of Edmonton, but shrugged off the incident until January when symptoms of rabies, a deadly neurological disease, first appeared.
Now, as the man is listed in serious condition in hospital, there is little health-care providers can do except attempt to make him comfortable.
“Once an individual has contracted rabies and has not received the post-exposure treatment, rabies is almost invariably fatal,” Shainoor Virani, Alberta's associate provincial health officer, said yesterday.

Human cases of rabies have been rare in Canada, where 23 people have died since record-keeping began in 1925. The most recent victims include a 52-year-old British Columbia man in 2003 and a nine-year-old Quebec boy in 2000.
Both succumbed to the virus from bat bites. Alberta hasn't had a human case of the virus since 1985.
The virus is transmitted through the saliva of an infected animal, usually by a bite or scratch, but also by a lick onto an existing cut or mucous membrane.
It is theoretically possible to pass the virus between people (it has only happened a handful of times and most of those in organ transplant patients) which is why officials in Alberta are contacting those who may have been in direct contact with the patient's saliva or bodily fluids.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency reports hundreds of cases a year of rabies in animals, most often in bats, skunks, raccoons and foxes, but the virus has also been found in dogs, cats and cattle.
Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan have been home to the majority of cases in recent years, while the virus infrequently surfaces in Atlantic Canada.
The viral infection, which is carried by warm-blooded animals, attacks the central nervous system and the brain of both animals and people.
Infected animals can display symptoms including aggression, depression, paralysis (which can lead to drooling in paralysis of the face) and unusual behaviour such as wild animals losing their fear of humans or pets hiding from their owners.
In people, symptoms can emerge in as little as five days or take several years, but they are usually felt within 20 days to two months after exposure.
At first, those who are infected usually complain of flu-like symptoms such as headaches and tiredness, but the virus can quickly progress to include anxiety, confusion, insomnia, hallucinations, a fear of water, difficulty swallowing and convulsions.
Complete paralysis and coma follow. The disease is almost always fatal once symptoms appear, but there have been a handful of miraculous recoveries.
The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety reports that a handful of patients have survived once signs of the disease began to show.
While rabies is uncommon in humans in Canada, the World Health Organization pegs the number of deaths worldwide at about 50,000 cases a year, the bulk in Indian, Southeast Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Anyone exposed to a suspected rabid animal should wash the wound with soap, remove potentially contaminated clothing and seek medical attention immediately, according to public health officials.
In Canada, about 4,000 people a year are vaccinated with post-exposure prophylaxis.
The treatment regime includes an injection of rabies immune globulin directly into the wound as soon a possible.
At the same time, the human diploid cell vaccine is injected into a muscle, usually the shoulder area, or, in small children, the thigh.
Patients then receive a series of four more intramuscular injections within a month.
“Post-exposure treatment is very effective and safe,” Dr. Virani said, “It's most effective if it's started right away, but it can even be given months after a bite.”
But the best way to prevent rabies is to stay away from wild animals, she added.
Pre-exposure vaccines are also available to those working in high-risk professions such as veterinarians and to those travelling to regions where the disease is prevalent