No quick fix for 'enormous' problem of climate change: PM

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Climate change is an "enormous" problem, but it's "fantasy" to think emissions can be cut overnight, Stephen Harper says as a report pins global warming on humans.

More...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
This little piece of Canadian government propaganda tells us a lot about Stephen Harper and the morass of double-talk and disingenuousness we've all come to regard as normal from Canadian politicians.

I have a confession to make....

I haven't followed the Canadian government Climate Change Circus and Bullshyte Emporium through CBC media or anywhere else....

I have heard it mentioned that Stephen Harper opposed Kyoto...while of course Paul Martin was presenting any kind of issue to redirect attention away from the criminal activity that passed for the Chretien and Martin governments.
Going backwards rarely serves a purpose and I can understand anyone's chagrin at being asked to revisit the sixties...most of the folk here at CC probably weren't even born yet!

Just like every "new" issue that graces our radio TV and newspapers, climate change was being talked about and warnings were being offered back then...in the sixties...

This impudent Harper maggot demonstrates his application of the very same hawgwash that's permitted the Bush administration in the United States to bamboozle Americans over everything from climate change to international violence underwritten by the American petroleum cartels...is the language of the smarmy American-style Canadian politician today..despite the fact that Americans and Canadians are slowly waking up to the fact that these honorable men have lied to us for decades.

Once the horse has left the barn there's little sense to closing the barn door. And that's exactly the way Canadian and American governments have squandered the wealth of Canadians and Americans and put the future of our children all in jeopardy.

This A$$hole Harper thinks that Canadians will forgive...forget...that the Conservatives did just as much as the Liberals did to educate the public about global climate change...absolutely NOTHING!

Now it's supposed to be a case of "Well there's no quick fix and we're all facing something that's cropped up in the past two weeks that demands we steer a safe and steady course through these difficult times...yadda yadda yadda...

Leaders lead. Everyone's armchair-quarterbacked the decision by Pierre Trudeau to invoke the war measures act... Many say it wasn't necessary while others claim the danger of the FLQ was overstated..

It didn't cost Canadians any more to act decisively in response to the FLQ nonesense than it may have costed to leave this situation simmering. Could there have been greater violence and terrorism if Trudeau hadn't invoked the war measures act? I don't know for sure but what I do know is that the response was applied and the threat was answered.

Every politician American and Canadian has known about the effects of pollution, toxins exhausted into our atmosphere by buring fossil fuels, gargantuan quantities of particulate matter tossed into the atmosphere, and because they (these disgusting bags of protoplasm calling themselves leaders) won't live two hundred years, have the sophistication of a wet spaghetti noodle and are selfishly focused on their careers and the next election...haven't done a damn thing.

Decades ago when public transit should have responded to ease automobile use, when zoning bylaws of municipalities were put on the negotiating table when fat-cat developers promised tax revenue from yet another huge mall....while Canadians are fed crap about blue-box recycling and the issue of air pollution was only a nagging "fringe" issue...our governments did nothing.

All landlords with multiple unit dwellings should be given tax relief and even cash incentives to replace windows with thremopane windows...many older buildings don't have any passive systems to reduce energy use.

All vehicles not meeting stiffened emmissions standards get taken off the road and in municipalities where public transit exists...vouchers given to people giving up their cars. Public transit should be the focus of reducing internal combustion engine pollution, through changes to land use planning and direct infrastructure re-design.

All industries meeting emission standards should be given credits against penalties that would apply to industry and manufacturing centers that fail to provide mass transit solutions to employees...if you have to drive your car to work, your employer will either pay a penalty for the pollution caused by you getting to work, or your employer will provide alternate means.

All manufacturers and industrial enterprises will have one year to meet emission standards and if failing to meet those standards, will be fined and if necessary closed.

Is this goin to hurt?

You bet.

Watching your grandchildren breathing through respirators and filter masks will hurt too.

We can't reverse the damage the greedy have created, we can't replace glaciers that fed rivers that millions depended on for fresh water....we can't re-freeze the tundra or huge ice-sheets melting at the poles.

We can send these politicians to prison for criminal negligence and crimes against humanity...

If you believe that the war in Iraq or the war in Vietnam or the many many wars of economic conquest that the governments of the world engage in to keep the wealthy on top will compare in any way to the devastation of global warming....your nuts.

We desperately need leaders who lead! Leaders with vision longer than the juicy appointment after retirement to Bombardier or some other industry that's been running Canadian government for years...

Ah but I keep forgetting....

It's not Canadian to act to change circumstance...the Canadian way is to just let everything slide until the grim reaper's at your door...

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It's disappointing that we spend so much time yakking it up while Rome burns..and no one is playing a fiddle...

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I've pretty much done what I can to limit the impact on my end (started in my own back yard then started bossing the neighbors around :D ). Now I'm harassing Doubting Thomases and gov'ts. :D
I can confess to having had a hand in our Regional District's urging the public to separate their plastic recyclables and bin it. Before I started squawking, they used to only accept milk jugs. I told them I was going to add all my other plastic containers to the milk jug bin. A few weeks later there were more bins labeled "milk jugs" and "other plastic containers". They still won't accept #3 and #6 plastic which is a puzzle to me. Perhaps someone with morew knowledge of organic chem can explain it to me?

Last edited:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
When I was a kid...

The dinosaurs were away and Hawaii was yet to be formed... but we got our milk in glass bottles!

Glass bottles...delivered by ...get this...a horse-drawn wagon...

What's wrong with using a system...exchange of glass bottles at the doorstep for more milk in used bottles... that's been around and been fairly successful for eons...?

Our landfills now hold plasics that take thousands of years to decompose, plastic-coated milk and juice containers that will be around...for damn near forever...

Tell me it ain't so...L. Gilbert....we're screwing over our children's children for a buck!!!?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
When I was a kid...

The dinosaurs were away and Hawaii was yet to be formed... but we got our milk in glass bottles!

Glass bottles...delivered by ...get this...a horse-drawn wagon...

What's wrong with using a system...exchange of glass bottles at the doorstep for more milk in used bottles... that's been around and been fairly successful for eons...?

Our landfills now hold plasics that take thousands of years to decompose, plastic-coated milk and juice containers that will be around...for damn near forever...

Tell me it ain't so...L. Gilbert....we're screwing over our children's children for a buck!!!?
Pretty much.
Mike, recycling is recycling, whether it's glass or plastic. Companies have to show profit for their shareholders. (Unless we're talking about Bombardier, Air Canada, CBC, etc. of course) I already exchanged my shares in oil companies to shares in alternate energy companies.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
In the Kawarthas all plastics, ALL, are collected mixed in with the cans. I don't know how well they're sorted later but the emphasis is on simplicity. Glass is collected separately and so is paper but cans and plastic are binned together.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I understand that Mr. Gilbert...

Is the cost of recycling glass (over the long term) more or less expensive than re-refining plactics?

Has anyone mentioned plastic to the beer companies...?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I understand that Mr. Gilbert...

Is the cost of recycling glass (over the long term) more or less expensive than re-refining plactics?

Has anyone mentioned plastic to the beer companies...?
I'm not sure but glass weighs a heckuva lot more so I can imagine shipping costs are less with plastic.
I have a distaste for drinking beer out of a can. I will probably never drink out of a plastic thingy. And I will continue paying the extra charge for glass in exchange for integrity of taste. :)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I've pretty much done what I can to limit the impact on my end (started in my own back yard then started bossing the neighbors around :D ). Now I'm harassing Doubting Thomases and gov'ts. :D
I can confess to having had a hand in our Regional District's urging the public to separate their plastic recyclables and bin it. Before I started squawking, they used to only accept milk jugs. I told them I was going to add all my other plastic containers to the milk jug bin. A few weeks later there were more bins labeled "milk jugs" and "other plastic containers". They still won't accept #3 and #6 plastic which is a puzzle to me. Perhaps someone with morew knowledge of organic chem can explain it to me?

Could be that something in the manufacturing process makes them more susceptible to contamination via the products they contain, but I'm not sure.