Wikiality!!!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Yep. Colbert usually manages to pin down the facts. It's like I've been saying since 1997. "It must be true, I saw it on the internet!"

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
ha

we all knew that wikipedia was not neccessarily reliable though eh? fact is if something is contested, we can't really rely on it, although usually when a matter is contested, it says so on the page. Factual matters though can be relied on.

By the way how do you suppose a hard-copy encyclopedia is compiled?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
ha

we all knew that wikipedia was not neccessarily reliable though eh? fact is if something is contested, we can't really rely on it, although usually when a matter is contested, it says so on the page. Factual matters though can be relied on.

Not by every wing nut with an agenda or an axe to grind, having the ablity to change history with a key stroke.

That is the problem with wikipedia.

Encylcopedias, rarely site themselves as their proof of fact.

There is another problem with wikipedia.

It's tantamount to the criminal being his own aliby.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
everyone puts their own spin on things. everyone has a bias. I think the wikipedia has an element of viability. we all know not to trust parts of it but it can be valuable resource as well

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
ha

Quite right. If I quote Wikipedia, I also add other sources as backup. What I find handy about Wiki is that it says stuff in layman's language. For instance, I could post a Science Magazine article and a lot of people would only understand a tenth of the article (sometimes me included).

A 2.91-billion base pair (bp) consensus sequence of the euchromatic portion of the human genome was generated by the whole-genome shotgun sequencing method. The 14.8-billion bp DNA sequence was generated over 9 months from 27,271,853 high-quality sequence reads (5.11-fold coverage of the genome) from both ends of plasmid clones made from the DNA of five individuals. Two assembly strategies--a whole-genome assembly and a regional chromosome assembly--were used, each combining sequence data from Celera and the publicly funded genome effort. The public data were shredded into 550-bp segments to create a 2.9-fold coverage of those genome regions that had been sequenced, without including biases inherent in the cloning and assembly procedure used by the publicly funded group. This brought the effective coverage in the assemblies to eightfold, reducing the number and size of gaps in the final assembly over what would be obtained with 5.11-fold coverage. The two assembly strategies yielded very similar results that largely agree with independent mapping data. The assemblies effectively cover the euchromatic regions of the human chromosomes. More than 90% of the genome is in scaffold assemblies of 100,000 bp or more, and 25% of the genome is in scaffolds of 10 million bp or larger. Analysis of the genome sequence revealed 26,588 protein-encoding transcripts for which there was strong corroborating evidence and an additional ~12,000 computationally derived genes with mouse matches or other weak supporting evidence. Although gene-dense clusters are obvious, almost half the genes are dispersed in low G+C sequence separated by large tracts of apparently noncoding sequence. Only 1.1% of the genome is spanned by exons, whereas 24% is in introns, with 75% of the genome being intergenic DNA. Duplications of segmental blocks, ranging in size up to chromosomal lengths, are abundant throughout the genome and reveal a complex evolutionary history. Comparative genomic analysis indicates vertebrate expansions of genes associated with neuronal function, with tissue-specific developmental regulation, and with the hemostasis and immune systems. DNA sequence comparisons between the consensus sequence and publicly funded genome data provided locations of 2.1 million single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs). A random pair of human haploid genomes differed at a rate of 1 bp per 1250 on average, but there was marked heterogeneity in the level of polymorphism across the genome. Less than 1% of all SNPs resulted in variation in proteins, but the task of determining which SNPs have functional consequences remains an open challenge.
- abstract from SciMag :D

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is nothing wrong with Wikipedia as long as you know what it is. The information found in Wikipedia is often useful but we have to remember that it is not the last word, or even, necessarily, the right word. Best to have multiple sources.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
not bad at all. And i suspect the longer wikipedia exists the better it'll get
I doubt it!!!

The longer it exists, the greater the exposure to those that will yndoubtedly learn, that they can effectually change the perception of reality of many sheeple.

Be weiry of any sourse of information that footnotes itself, provides its own proof and so on.

The major difference between Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia Britanica, is...

Wikipedia, for the most part uses internal sources of proof.

Encyclopedia Britanica, sites institutions such as the Smythsonian, etc. Reputable sources.

That's not to say that wiki, doesn't source out side of itself, it does. But in many cases, I have found that source to provide footnote source reference back to Wikipedia. That is a flaw beyond contempt.

Either way you want to take it, sobeit, but don't be surprised when someone wipe their arse with your wikiality.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I doubt it!!!

The longer it exists, the greater the exposure to those that will yndoubtedly learn, that they can effectually change the perception of reality of many sheeple.

Be weiry of any sourse of information that footnotes itself, provides its own proof and so on.

The major difference between Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia Britanica, is...

Wikipedia, for the most part uses internal sources of proof.

Encyclopedia Britanica, sites institutions such as the Smythsonian, etc. Reputable sources.

That's not to say that wiki, doesn't source out side of itself, it does. But in many cases, I have found that source to provide footnote source reference back to Wikipedia. That is a flaw beyond contempt.

Either way you want to take it, sobeit, but don't be surprised when someone wipe their arse with your wikiality.

Although people can enter what they like, the wikipedia isn't unregulated. If people see something they think is spurious it can be reported, it can then be checked out and either deleted or edited. So the longer it exists, the more people will realise that it's not a tool for pushing your own perverted ideas but for the spreading of knowledge. And the more people look at it now and check it's accuracy, the more knowledge will be preserved for the future. As for internal referencing, you'll often find that the source is still accurate despite that, and often the source for the internal source is external. Also since the wiki is often written by laymen with no understanding of referencing, the references aren't quoted. This does mean it's hard to check the reliability of some of the info but it does mean that it gives the wikipedia access to knowledge which might not be available via traditional routes.

Obviously the wikipedia isnt AS reliable as for instance the brittanica, BUT it isnt UNreliable, it's a very useful tool. It shouldn't be dismissed. As for wiping my arse, i'd rather use paper than a website.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well the thing is, that the vandalism is short-lived. They have many volunteers who go back and fix things up. I'm sure they aren't using wikipedia to fact-check. No one should use a wikipedia as a scholarly article, nor would I use an encyclopdia as a scholarly article. Encyclopedias are good place to start a search, as they often provide the reader with related subject matter in the listings. More and more the internet is getting better at providing scholarly articles to view, or at least news magazines with references to the scholarly article.

It's like Gilbert said, scholarly articles are filled with terminology, processes and really technical discipline specific lingo.

I have a scholarly article which I have to turn into a piece of popular news. The article is 7 pages long, and titled "Growth and Economic performance of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) fed on three brans (maize, wheat and rice) in fertilized ponds". Basically I have to make it interesting while including the gist of the science and about one page in length. My first start is what to tile it, maybe something along the lines of poking fun at Shatner for his bran commercials.

Edit:

As an aside, this on-line community has some parallels to the wiki issue. Topics here are debated and discussed, sometimes with references other times not. A reference isn't required for all topics, I mean some things are axiomatic and don't require explanation. However the references are often included in the debates where the issue isn't so cut and dry. Some people here are better than others at following articles and doing the research to get at the heart of the matter, much like the wiki volunteers. In this way some arguments forwarded here are shown for what they are, utter garbage, and others sometimes contain truths that the poster for some reason or another omitted.

Last edited:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
there you go! I knew the whole thing just typed it madly fast cos i wanted to be the first!

if u want scholarly articles you want web of knowledge or something like that. I spend my whole life at the moment reading bloody scholarly bloody articles. And they almost never say what u want them to!
angry9:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Hehe, yah you guys are thinking on the same line as I was getting at.:read2:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
my old professor had discovered something which mightone day be useful with rhinoviruses, and it involved the use of copper (Cu) and rhenium (Re). he entitled his talk "a CuRe for the common cold?"