Harpocrites

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=+2]Government greenwashes its true agenda[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=+1]We don't call them Harpocrites for nothing.[/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial,Sans Serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-2]
Dateline: Tuesday, January 23, 2007
[/SIZE]
by Ish Theilheimer
Maybe it isn't easy being green. But it's easy for Canada's governing party to splash on a bit of paint and hope for the best.
This week Canadians were treated to a series of government announcements and photo-ops as Cabinet ministers re-announced half-measures introduced previously by their Liberal predecessors and then cancelled by the Conservatives themselves. It's reminiscent of the classic illustration of chutzpah — the man who kills his mother and father and asks for leniency on account of being an orphan.
Newly anointed environment minister John Baird made it out to Vancouver Island for an on-board photo op that only lacked Stock Day in a wetsuit. Thank goodness they didn't put Baird in one.
There are bits of merit in this week's recycling of Liberal programs. Recycling in itself is good. But after all the sneering about Kyoto, the cuts to domestic programs and the breakage of important international commitments, their enthusiastic support for nuclear energy, their scuttling international agreement on bottom trawling, etc. etc. — as detailed in my January 9 editorial — they deserve no cred.
This is a chameleon party with a chameleon leader. Harper's game plan since last year's election campaign has been to burnish his reputation as a moderate. An accommodating national media help Canadians forget their Prime Minister is a former president of the arch-right wing, anti-government, anti-union National Citizens Coalition, as documented in these pages by Murray Dobbin.
Currently, Harper is widely distrusted by Canadians. With enough green wash, this distrust is subject to change.
This is a chameleon party with a chameleon leader.

The public relations acumen, if not brilliance, of the Harpocrats is striking. Human rights in China. Income trusts. Quebecois as a nation. These guys are great at covering their flanks. Someone smart is at work, telling them that if they just can keep their real agenda under wraps for a few short months, the keys to the kingdom will be theirs.
In similar fashion, their recent recruitment of two ethnic Toronto-area Liberal MPs sent powerful messages. Since Pearson and Trudeau, the Liberals have commanded ethnic support because they encouraged immigration and delivered patronage through old-fashioned corrupt local politics. As the Liberals lost focus, through the years Paul Martin ran to oust his rival Jean Chrétien, a series of stupid policies, especially an onerous new head tax, alienated their ethnic base. Mix in gay-marriage-bashing and the Harpocrites appear poised to step into this breach. Many new Canadians, working at the lowest rung of the ladder, may fall for gay bashing. Few will be helped, though, by Harper's anti-child care, anti-union policies and actions, much less the service cuts they will receive in order to pay for Harper's agenda of upper-income and corporate tax cuts. Someone like the NDP should point this out. The party's roots have a lot to do with working-class immigrants. It would be too bad if the Harpocrites, not the Dippers, replaced the Grits as the default choice of ethnic voters.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
harpocrites

Temperance:

A person who can see through the "con" fog. :thumbright:

They are called CONservatives for a reason.

Weave and twist and spin worse than any fiberal thought of doing.

We shall see their true colours (puke green) when they "con" the populace
into giving them a majority.

Nice call Temperance.

:grommit:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is just politics as usual. There is absolutely nothing inherently dishonest about taking the opposition's protests and positions seriously, and adopting policies that undercut them.

They are, after all, achieving their aims, are they not?

Good Lord, for how many years have the Liberals stolen every platform plank from both the left (NDP) and the Right (PC. Reform, Alliance, Conservatives) that showed any real strength what so ever.

Bit of a double standard Lads, don't you think?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Colpy, you're absolutely right. The Liberal Party is known for thievery. Ideas, money and the self-respect of this nation. I see the writer's name is Ish. Is that short for Foolish?

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
I also agree that Harpocrates is a perfect discription we don't know where he will come from one minute to the next. At least we new what to expect with the Liberals. He has two faces one for the Canadians and a different one for Bush. I am not a member of any political party and vote on what I see and hear (hopefully hearing and see between the lines). I am not always right or wrong but judge the winning party once they begin governing. Harper is a show off on the international circuit trying to make a name for himself. Here his image is tarnishing quickly in many corners of the country.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
One thing I have to credit the FASCISTS for is inflicting more financial damage on Canadians by breaking a single promise than the with all 13 years worth of Liberal screw-ups combined. That's some kind of talent.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
So, what is it you miss about the Liberals?

Is it their mob connections?

Or do you miss their hands in your pockets?

and I thought thoses "hands in my pocket" citi-bank commercials were about other banks.....Funny one of them does look like Mr. Dion hahaha!!!

These guys and their followers think of the Liberal party as the god given right party of Canada...anything they can do to have then in is fine....it never seems to be about whats right for the country but rather how to get back in power...then once they are in..do nothing except gloat over everyone else from their collective throwns...

As my good friend Colpy said, its a game they are all involve in...When the country asked for fiscal responsibility the Liberals took over the Reform agenda re-packaged it and presented it as theirs...It's nothing new..

Went the liberals did this I was happy... I am not a liberal, never have been never will be...likely... but I remember saying to myself...who cares who;s in as long as the policies I want covered are being covered.....

It would be nice to here someone from the Liberal side say that about the new found enviroment agenda...guess I shouldn't hold my breath eh?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I love it when the last thing Conservative supporters want to talk about is the Conservatives.

:clock:

Fingertrouble

Electoral Member
Nov 8, 2006
Calgary
One thing I have to credit the FASCISTS for is inflicting more financial damage on Canadians by breaking a single promise than the with all 13 years worth of Liberal screw-ups combined. That's some kind of talent.

If they didn't do something about Income Trusts, then the tax coffers would be short many BILLIONS of dollars....were do you think that money would then have to come from????? THE TAXPAYER!

It is a sign of good government to not only come good on your election promises, but to also be prepared to take tough decisions that will be unpopular with some Canadians.

I for one would rather a government like that than one that would ignore the problem in the hope that it goes away...

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
If they didn't do something about Income Trusts, then the tax coffers would be short many BILLIONS of dollars....were do you think that money would then have to come from????? THE TAXPAYER!

It is a sign of good government to not only come good on your election promises, but to also be prepared to take tough decisions that will be unpopular with some Canadians.

I for one would rather a government like that than one that would ignore the problem in the hope that it goes away...

that's nice but it doesn't put bread on the table. it was a stupid promise in the first place. strike two.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

We're missing the issue here. The whole reason they are bringing the program back is because they have been shown to be weak on a issue many Canadians are keen on. Kudos for mitigating that mistake, obviously the parties will bicker over whose idea it was. If the Conservative minority wants to build more bridges, they should swallow a little more pride and fix up the Clean Air Act with the other parties, I'm not saying they should bow to all the concessions but they should focus on giving industry some incentives to change as well as the incentives for citizens.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Well there is only one taxpayer so it doesn't really matter where the money is channeled through it still comes from the taxpayers pocket.:|

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Well there is only one taxpayer so it doesn't really matter where the money is channeled through it still comes from the taxpayers pocket.:|

Not quite since if the Income trust was allowed for Bel Canada etc the extra money would come from the tax payer while you still paid the same rate for Bell Canada,

It was dumb to promise to keep the income trusts however if the conservatives didnt trash it the liberals would have...it is open knowledge that many Liberals are happy that it happened and they didn't have to pay the political price for it

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Not quite since if the Income trust was allowed for Bel Canada etc the extra money would come from the tax payer while you still paid the same rate for Bell Canada,

It was dumb to promise to keep the income trusts however if the conservatives didnt trash it the liberals would have...it is open knowledge that many Liberals are happy that it happened and they didn't have to pay the political price for it

Yes that sounds something loke the downloading the Feds did to the Provines and in turn Provinces to the Municipalities. I still pay the same rate to the Feds but much more to my Municipality. I guess the tax break for income trusts would have the same net effect.:pukeright:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We're missing the issue here. The whole reason they are bringing the program back is because they have been shown to be weak on a issue many Canadians are keen on. Kudos for mitigating that mistake, obviously the parties will bicker over whose idea it was. If the Conservative minority wants to build more bridges, they should swallow a little more pride and fix up the Clean Air Act with the other parties, I'm not saying they should bow to all the concessions but they should focus on giving industry some incentives to change as well as the incentives for
citizens.

I don't think"swallowing thier pride" is much of a problem to the Harpoconsuckalot new improved CanAMdian Government, I think they'll swallow anything Bush puts in thier mouths..:laughing7:

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
damn, here we go again...

If your not a bleeding heart Liberal you must be a Bush republican eh??

I like Harper and the conservatives but think Bush is a complete moron with no agenda other that to outdo Daddy...what slot do i fit in you thoughts then...

The truth is conservatives in Canada are generally no further right than the Democrats in the U.S.