Elderly Man Shot With Stun Gun For Swinging Cane At Officers

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa police said a stun gun was used to subdue a 69-year-old man who tried to hit two officers with a metal cane.
Authorities said Nathaniel Youman swung the silver cane at another person before two officers came to his home Wednesday.
Reports say Youman was warned to drop the cane, but he refused. The officer asked again and warned Youman that he would be hit with a stun gun if he didn't comply.
Police said Youman refused and tried to swing the cane at both officers. He was then hit by a stun gun and arrested.
Youman is charged with felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I know people immediately see the age and think the cops were using excessive force, but I have seen plenty of strong elderly people. A nurse in one hospital I worked in had her jaw broken by a nice 70+ year old.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I know people immediately see the age and think the cops were using excessive force, but I have seen plenty of strong elderly people. A nurse in one hospital I worked in had her jaw broken by a nice 70+ year old.

How true!

My dad could shimmy up a clothes-line pole, haul a deer out of the woods, or sling a chainsaw all day when he was 70.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
rediculous. in SOME countries, the police are trained in non-violent, non-hazardous methods of self defence. In others, they're given a stun-gun, a machine gun, three rifles and a big club.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
metal canes are made of aluminum. If you use force parallel to the shaft (such as in normal use) they are quite strong, but if you use force on them perpendicular to the shaft they're easily bent.
There's no excuse for not cimplying with the officers, but using a stun gun on an old geezer is unbelievably stupid (um, anyone heard of coronary problems in the aged?). They have their own batons and are probably waaaaaaaaaay more adept at fencing with them than some old geezer is with a cane, besides wasn't there more than one cop? :roll:

"Oh, well some old fogeys are really strong for their age". Well, do gov'ts hire wimpy cops?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Reading comprehension guys!

He wasn't driving 20 in a 45 zone, he had assaulted someone with the cane.

It wasn't aluminium, it was "silver", which I would assume means a wooden cane with a heavy silver handpiece..................

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Reading comprehension? Where does it say the cane was wooden with a silver handle? Aluminum is silver colored. Either way, police are trained quite well with their batons, there were two of them, and they showed up at his home after the incident. Anyway, I don't care if the cane was titanium; two trained, younger officers couldn't handle one old geezer with a cane? Gimme a break. Were I the judge I'd charge the two wimpy little donut munching flatfeet of misuse of authority and wasting court time, reduce the oldster's charge to a misdemeanor, and fine the guy $50.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
doesnt matter if it was a diamond cane with spikes on it. still doesnt warrent the use of a stun-gun. except in the USA where the police are essentially allowed to shoot someone dead for looking funny. i spent 45 minutes in the USA the other day and was relieved when i left

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well guys, I'm not completely sure you are wrong.............but, as I said earlier, I'd have put my old man up against most young guys when he was 70...........

Secondly, a stun gun is not lethal force.......I'd rather be shot with a Taser than hammered with clubs.

My people don't carry Tasers, batons, or pepper-spray. If they are in immediate danger of death OR grievous bodily harm, they SHOOT you. Some one attacking you with ANY weapon satisfies that prerequisite. That is what I teach them in a course approved by government.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well guys, I'm not completely sure you are wrong.............but, as I said earlier, I'd have put my old man up against most young guys when he was 70...........
Two of them that are trained in bodily take-down as well as more heavily armed? I wouldn't bet on him.

Secondly, a stun gun is not lethal force.......I'd rather be shot with a Taser than hammered with clubs.
Did they even ask the guy if he had ticker problems? Or a pacemaker? IOW, a stun gun or taser can be deadly.

My people don't carry Tasers, batons, or pepper-spray. If they are in immediate danger of death OR grievous bodily harm, they SHOOT you. Some one attacking you with ANY weapon satisfies that prerequisite. That is what I teach them in a course approved by government.
Shooting doesn't necessarily involve killing. I prefer the disabling bit. I've had 3 mugging attempts on me and one with a weapon (2 if you include the idiot with the 2x4), all 3 are still alive and kickin as far as I know and I kept all my stuff.

Last edited:

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Here's the man;

He was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. deadly weapon...hellooooo.
Only in the U.S.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Two of them that are trained in bodily take-down as well as more heavily armed? I wouldn't bet on him.

Neither would I.

Did they even ask the guy if he had ticker problems? Or a pacemaker? IOW, a stun gun or taser can be deadly.

True enough, but so can a baton.

Shooting doesn't necessarily involve killing. I prefer the disabling bit. I've had 3 mugging attempts on me and one with a weapon, all 3 are still alive and kickin as far as I know and I kept all my stuff.

Professionals shoot centre of visible mass......ALWAYS. That means centre of the torso, if you are completely visible, between the eyes if all I can see is your head. NEVER shoot to wound.

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Professionals shoot centre of visible mass......ALWAYS. That means centre of the torso, if you are completely visible, between the eyes if all I can see is your head. NEVER shoot to wound.

Thank for your confirmation that PROFESSIONALS ( like you qualify them) will always try to maximize the damages.
Shoot to kill. I'm not impressed by your professionalism

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Thank for your confirmation that PROFESSIONALS ( like you qualify them) will always try to maximize the damages.
Shoot to kill. I'm not impressed by your professionalism

Please don't take offense, but your attitude is completely typical of those who don't know what they are talking about.

First of all, you never shoot to kill, you shoot to stop. Your purpose is to prevent your assailant from continuing his attack, you want to stop him, whether he lives or dies is irrelevant. You are defending yourself.

There are numerous reasons one never shoots to wound:
1. A hit in the arm or leg does NOT incapacitate an attacker.

2. Hits outside of the centre mass area are extremely hard to score on a moving target, especially when under the extreme stress of an attack. It is simply stupid to waste your time shooting for a non-lethal hit while your attacker presses home his attack.

3. You may have more than one attacker, and while you are wasting rounds and time trying to wound one guy, another could be closing for the kill.

4. Hits on arms and legs over-penetrate, and the bullets continue on their merry way. Misses, of course, also go flying around. We try to avoid both by hitting the solidest, and largest parts of the body. We are responsible for every round we fire, and we don't want ANY winding up in innocent bystanders.

I teach armed self-defense to armoured car guards.

The first option taught is the best: RUN AWAY!

Police don't have that option.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Neither would I.
Not what you said a while ago.

True enough, but so can a baton.
Not very likely when you are using it to parry a cane or separate someone from their cane. Either way, that's irrelevant. You said a stun gun isn't deadly. You were wrong.

Pros like SAS or Seals? Funny I always thought they were the headshot type. A cousin of mine was a SF sniper in Viet Nam: never went for the body. Body shots are for the panic-stricken sort who isn't sure of the target nor their ability.