Arctic ice shelf collapse

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
This was on the news tonight about the damage of global warming was doing to the polarbears. IF they get them on the endagered list then they HAVE to clean up because its doing harm to an endagered species domain.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
This was on the news tonight about the damage of global warming was doing to the polarbears. IF they get them on the endagered list then they HAVE to clean up because its doing harm to an endagered species domain.
Read a Duck's Unlimited piece written by an economic ecologist or an environmental accountant or some such critter that it's more expensive to clean things up afterwords than it is to be careful in the first place.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada

I doubt big business and developing countries care about polar bears. Bush wants to drill on animal reserves and the developing countries are busy extermianting their own endangered species such as tigers, pandas and orangutans. If the polar bears have to die so that big industry can generate more profits by using an ice free NW passage then the polar bears are doomed. So much for cute teddy bears, majestic symbols of power and freeedom, and some of our closest relatives. But hey we still have our SUV's as symbols of power and majesty and TV and cheap consumer goods to keep us entertained.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I doubt big business and developing countries care about polar bears. Bush wants to drill on animal reserves and the developing countries are busy extermianting their own endangered species such as tigers, pandas and orangutans. If the polar bears have to die so that big industry can generate more profits by using an ice free NW passage then the polar bears are doomed. So much for cute teddy bears, majestic symbols of power and freeedom, and some of our closest relatives. But hey we still have our SUV's as symbols of power and majesty and TV and cheap consumer goods to keep us entertained.

Polar bears are facing threats from global warming and environmental contamination and need federal protection under the Endangered Species Act, Washington is expected to propose Wednesday.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...27/polar_bears_061227/20061227?hub=TopStories

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
A girl can dream ;) In the mean time I do a lot of letter writing. Im not all aery faery I know that if we dont start legislating more enviromentally friendly laws we ALL lose.........period!

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
That’s why I vote Green.
Most scientists agree that Global Warming is man made. Since 2001, no climate scientists have expressed skepticism that warming, of the magnitude described by the IPCC, has occurred.
Fred Singer is an atmospheric physicist who disputes that that there is a discernible human influence on global climate change. However, he has financial ties to oil and tobacco companies.
I think I'll go with the majority of scientists who say that climate change is caused by human influence.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That’s why I vote Green.
Most scientists agree that Global Warming is man made. Since 2001, no climate scientists have expressed skepticism that warming, of the magnitude described by the IPCC, has occurred.
Fred Singer is an atmospheric physicist who disputes that that there is a discernible human influence on global climate change. However, he has financial ties to oil and tobacco companies.
I think I'll go with the majority of scientists who say that climate change is caused by human influence.
I'll go along with a combination of factors, but not strictly that humans are the cause. There's too much tha we don't know about climate change to be able to say that.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
There is allot we do know. The atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and methane have increased by 31% and 149% respectively above pre-industrial levels since 1750.
An IPCC report states: "Emissions of greenhouse gases and aerosols due to human activities continue to alter the atmosphere in ways that are expected to affect the climate". The IPCC is the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Probably because human beings aren't motivated to believe anything until some form of destruction or disaster claims their attention...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
While I certainly agree that global warming is a fact, I remember a class lesson we had in junior high school over 40 years ago in which we were taught that Antartica was at one time a huge swamp land. Therefore, this is naturally occurring but aggravated by humankind.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
The planet will go on. It's just that the human race is screwing it up for us. We're not destroying the planet per say. We're destroying it for life on this planet now. We'll all die, kill all life on this planet, and a million years from now new life will form and evolve. I just want the planet to be enjoyable to live on in my time, and my children’s time. Think of how bad the air will be for your grandchildren? You think there is a cancer epidemic now? Just wait 40 years at the rate we're polluting!

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
This apparent catastrophe is quite common. It is how icebergs are formed.There have been much larger icebergs in the past and no doubt there will be much larger icebergs in the future. This has been going on since the ice age and will continue for many more years. I suggest that one googles icebergs and find out the facts. This is an example of how hysteria is fomented through manipulation of the truth. I have read a few times how this massive ice break happened in only one hour. Think about it. A huge chunk of ice sitting in frigid waters suddenly melts enough to separate in one hour. Impossible,but what is possible is that the seismic station first picked up the vibrations one hour before it separated. Even if Al gore and Dion had ruled the world for the last million years this natural phenomena would still have happened.Sorry to ruin a good rant with facts.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm still trying to figure out if GW is such a sudden and catostrophic event, then what happend to the Glaciers that scoured the North American Continent, as far south as the Ohio and Missouri rivers.

I know, I know, we Natives must have used them all up for out Gin and Tonic's.

Before I get the usual hoop stretching from the tree hugger clans men. I am for environmental clean up. But we have to be reasonable. Not spasmotic. If we follow the Green party or the nazi earth groups, we'll all be walking everywhere and commerce would near come to a screaching halt.