Charles to build mansion for Wills and Kate

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A house in a place called Harewood Park could become the future King and Queen's countryside home.....

The Sunday Times
December 17, 2006

Charles plans a mansion fit for lovebirds

John Elliott

Beaming ... proud Kate, right, watches the Prince's passing out parade

THE Prince of Wales is building a new home fit not so much for a king as a daughter-in-law. He has put in plans to build a country house that some say would be a suitable “starter palace” for a young couple looking to settle down.

The six-bedroom classical mansion is to be built in an isolated valley on the Welsh border, less than an hour’s drive from Highgrove House, his home in Gloucestershire.

Although the palace maintains the property will be rented out commercially, the plans will fuel speculation that Prince William is being “kitted out” with his first country home in preparation for marriage.

Rumours that William will soon propose to Kate Middleton, his girlfriend of three years, were fuelled by her appearance at his passing out parade at Sandhurst on Friday. She and her parents were accompanied by Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, the private secretary to Princes William and Harry.

According to lip-reading experts, Middleton, 24, said of her boyfriend: “I love the uniform. It’s so sexy.”

The event marked the first time Middleton has been Prince William’s guest at a high-profile event attended by the Queen.

Robert Lacey, the royal historian, said: “All the signs are that the senior members of the royal family not only approve of the girl but approve of the way the relationship is developing — rather cautiously.”

During William’s leave from Sandhurst the couple have spent much of their time at Middleton’s flat, owned by her parents in a block in Chelsea. They became flatmates while students at St Andrews University in 2002.

Ever since the Duchy of Cornwall acquired Harewood Park, a 900-acre estate in Herefordshire, six years ago observers have believed it will become the country seat of Prince William when he eventually marries.

In 2004 the duchy submitted plans for a 14,855 sq ft mansion on the banks of the River Wye, which it said was destined for the letting market. New plans have now been submitted by Craig Hamilton, Prince Charles’s architect, for a “starter home”, better suited for a young prince anxious to avoid ostentation. It will be a two-storey, six-bedroom home of 8,500 sq ft.

Harewood House, in Harewood Park, Herefordshire, is home to the Queen's cousin, the Earl of Harewood. Another house for Prince William and Kate Middleton will be built in this park.

The house is designed to be as eco-friendly as possible. Solar panels are planned for the roof, natural sheep’s wool will insulate the loft, and recycled bricks will be used for the walls. “Salvaged” Welsh slate will be used for the roof.

Central to the new plans for Harewood Park, lodged with Herefordshire council, are a series of large arches that dominate the front and back of the house and frame the windows. In another nod to antiquity, friezes of winged lions supporting a lyre will decorate the outside walls.

Inside, the house will boast a double-height central hall dominated by eight Ionic columns. The four-bay garage to be built under a terrace is inspired by a 4th century BC Greek monument on the southern slopes of the Acropolis.

There will be an orangery and a chapel in the grounds is to be converted into an artist’s studio.

Should William and his future wife move in, he will be required to obey a strict regime of recycling and energy conservation. A “sustainability report” accompanying the plans states that energy can be saved if “showers are taken instead of baths” and “low flow showers and spray taps are fitted so that less hot water is required”.

“Energy efficient light fittings” and recycling bins are included in the scheme, while trees are to be planted to compensate for pollution created by builders’ lorries driving to and from the site.

Stone for the building will come from a quarry on the estate within a mile of the house.

A spokesman for Prince Charles said the previous set of plans for a larger house at Harewood had been shelved because the projected rental income did not justify the financial outlay. “The property has always been one the duchy wanted to let. Scaling it down makes it easier to let,” he said. Earlier this month Middleton made her first public appearance at Sandringham — on previous visits she has taken care to avoid being photographed — and she has reportedly been invited to Christmas lunch there, an unusual honour for a royal girlfriend.

timesonline.co.uk

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Doesn't this Royal Family wealth entitlement make you ill?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Kreskin

Yes yes and yes.

I am so glad I was born on this side of the pond. What a bunch of foofaw.....

What is so awful to me is they claim entitlement still belongs to them as inherited ....

Bloody nerve.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Curio, it amazes me that this small group of people live in extreme wealth on the backs of the public and basically do nothing for it. They live in public paid fairy tale. What amazes me even more is the people haven't ransacked their palaces and sent them off in exile.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Kreskin

The largest bunch of freeloaders who think nothing of the stupidity in these times.

I equate them with the useless movie and rock stars but at least those people "earn" their living.....

The royals do nothing but prance around....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I relate to what the above posts say, but I'm not sure if I would want them abolished.

I wonder what the british would think if asked, about the positive or negative thoughts toward the
monarchy

The british seem so proud of their royal family, and of course since we were children, we have followed
their lives.

Aren't they like ambassadors for the british. With all the drugs, crime and just plain crap we have
flung at us through the tv every day, don't they represent a truly respectable side of life, and proper
behavior and manners and dress. I don't follow that manner of dressing, but I certainly do respect
every aspect of their appearance, as there doesn't seem to be much left in that department being
shown to us each day. The examples that are shown to our children each as they grow up, don't
show much of a traditional manner, and the monarchy was done away with, that be would be about it, nothing traditional left to view.

And, of course I know they are not perfect, who is, but the kind of people that are admired in n. america, rock stars, (drugs), movie stars, (shallowness), politicians (dishonesty),so, I kind of like the royal
family, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I don't view them the same as I veiw entertainers, or sports celebrities, I view them as "tradition",
true to life, related to people many many generations ago, who we can read about in our history
books.

My grandfather had freedom of the city of London, and was truly loyal to the king/queen, and felt
so much admiration for them, and of course any mention of Canada being slightly connected to the
U.S. would make his blood boil.

This thread just made me think about all the conversations that took place in our house when I was
a little girl, and in my family the royal family was so "loved", and I think the british people probably
still feel that way about them, as any time they are out in public for an event, thousands of people
show up to see and cheer them.

I don't feel the same as my grandfather, but if they were gone, I would miss them.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I relate to what the above posts say, but I'm not sure if I would want them abolished.

I wonder what the british would think if asked, about the positive or negative thoughts toward the
monarchy

The british seem so proud of their royal family, and of course since we were children, we have followed
their lives.

Aren't they like ambassadors for the british. With all the drugs, crime and just plain crap we have
flung at us through the tv every day, don't they represent a truly respectable side of life, and proper
behavior and manners and dress. I don't follow that manner of dressing, but I certainly do respect
every aspect of their appearance, as there doesn't seem to be much left in that department being
shown to us each day. The examples that are shown to our children each as they grow up, don't
show much of a traditional manner, and the monarchy was done away with, that be would be about it, nothing traditional left to view.

And, of course I know they are not perfect, who is, but the kind of people that are admired in n. america, rock stars, (drugs), movie stars, (shallowness), politicians (dishonesty),so, I kind of like the royal
family, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I don't view them the same as I veiw entertainers, or sports celebrities, I view them as "tradition",
true to life, related to people many many generations ago, who we can read about in our history
books.

My grandfather had freedom of the city of London, and was truly loyal to the king/queen, and felt
so much admiration for them, and of course any mention of Canada being slightly connected to the
U.S. would make his blood boil.

This thread just made me think about all the conversations that took place in our house when I was
a little girl, and in my family the royal family was so "loved", and I think the british people probably
still feel that way about them, as any time they are out in public for an event, thousands of people
show up to see and cheer them.

I don't feel the same as my grandfather, but if they were gone, I would miss them.

Do they?....*slight touch of infuriated sarcsm* and WHO are these "British" people?....."the british people" like their all one bunch of people.....HELLO!!!!.....there is a Welsh assembly, a Scottish Parliment...oh no English parliment.....YES our taxpayers pay for them, but We LIKE traditional, we respect the past, WE do NOT want some megalo-maniac head of state killing thousands at a whim whereever the mood takes him....we've seen Genocidal maniacs head of state, ours can do nothing, but keep our prime minister in check, so I prefer that thank you very much, and the money.....well, we DONT SIMPLY put up with it or give it to them freely......there hasn't been a referendem on how the public feel about our money being spent on them...but I'd rather give it to them than have some monkey-looking-texian-who-by-the-way-is-distantly-related-to-them have the money.

What makes me sick is the VAST, and I do mean VAST, Gigantic amount of Land that north America has and still complains about immigration and over-popultion when little countries like mine have to cope with over a million immigrants a year.

Oh and please dont deny it...the use of the word "British" is ignorant and outdated.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
Do they?....*slight touch of infuriated sarcsm* and WHO are these "British" people?....."the british people" like their all one bunch of people.....HELLO!!!!.....there is a Welsh assembly, a Scottish Parliment...oh no English parliment.....YES our taxpayers pay for theme word "British" is ignorant and outdated.

theres something wrong with one family having so much wealth. these people should be sent packing..send them back to windsor castle..this is 2006--the age of kings is so dead..they are such parasites these elizabeth and her kids..i hate them

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Do they?....*slight touch of infuriated sarcsm* and WHO are these "British" people?....."the british people" like their all one bunch of people.....HELLO!!!!.....there is a Welsh assembly, a Scottish Parliment...oh no English parliment.....YES our taxpayers pay for them, but We LIKE and please dont deny it...the use of the word "British" is ignorant and outdated.

I opologize for using "british", didn't know it was inappropriate.

tell me what to replace it with. When discussing the monarchy, I thought that was the proper phrasing.

"British Subjects" at that time, included all of British Empire, isn't that right.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I opologize for using "british", didn't know it was inappropriate.

tell me what to replace it with. When discussing the monarchy, I thought that was the proper phrasing.

"British Subjects" at that time, included all of British Empire, isn't that right.

The British Empire was a very OLD establishment, over the last several decades (although I would suggest MUCH, MUCH further back than that...i.e. call a scotsman or welshperson British in the last 200 years and see you dont get a black eye, English people have, for the last 20 years been feeling like this also). Although, as CDNBear will tell you, it was IRISH people who marched on Washington in 1812, and if you dare come up to one of them and call em British...well.

My English culture is very much independent of what became Great Britain (or the United Kingdom as it's more often called now....removing the "Britain" bit all together), Alfred the Great heroically fought the vikings, made treaties with the Irish here, Celts worshipped at Stonhendge not 10 miles up the road.

Nope, I'm English, not British....I am also disgusted with people calling it "British English", it's "English" period. live with it, it's from my country of England, I hate it when people suggest it's just a variant.

Also, Chimps and Humans are so close in the gene pool many scientists have suggested they are indeed human.

And the monarchy are all Pretty much German, not British or English or whatever at all....theyre controlled by the government, and make too much touristy money for them to even consider removing them...simple as.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
My take on this bit of history.....with humble apologies to the Royalists or Traditionalists here.... my opinion only!

I do not believe in primogeniture - whoever thought it a valid concept was mad.

We should have stopped when we had a look see at what Victoria spawned and then stopped the whole procedure.

Let them have their castles into dotage but no more - there is enough "tradition" and why we have to
keep observing this Elizabethan tribe - I beg to ask "What have they done for the U.K. other than
prance around in uniforms and make rather dull speeches?"

Very few countries have suffered from demoting Kings and Queens to their rightful place in books and museums.

And while I am on my rant - dump the "House of Lords" for heaven's sake - that's another outworn continuation of a ridiculous practice.

I happen to believe men and women are self-made by their behavior and creative contributions to society
as individuals in their own right regardless of who their parents were, and their position of birth within a family.

It's a very expensive "tradition" and I wonder why the people of that Kingdom continue to allow it.

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
These people, this House of Windsor, makes me sick. They are obscene in this day and age! Their wealth and priviledge are an affront to the hard-working people of all the Commonwealth countries in the world.
They are parasites who prey on the misery of their people...parading about in their silly uniforms and presuming to know the "people". People are starving in the streets of London and all major Comonwealth cities and these poppycocks live in their palaces thinking they are somehow vital to daily life. We should be rid of all of them. Retire the monarchy and let its evil memory fade away. I rather like the way the Romanov's met their fate, and wish some British people would hold their own "royal shooting party".
And please do not make speeches abut how wonderful the Queen is! She is tainted with the blood of her people which her ancestors raped and pillaged to create the Windsor wealth.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
These people, this House of Windsor, makes me sick. They are obscene in this day and age! Their wealth and priviledge are an affront to the hard-working people of all the Commonwealth countries in the world.
They are parasites who prey on the misery of their people...parading about in their silly uniforms and presuming to know the "people". People are starving in the streets of London and all major Comonwealth cities and these poppycocks live in their palaces thinking they are somehow vital to daily life. We should be rid of all of them. Retire the monarchy and let its evil memory fade away. I rather like the way the Romanov's met their fate, and wish some British people would hold their own "royal shooting party".
And please do not make speeches abut how wonderful the Queen is! She is tainted with the blood of her people which her ancestors raped and pillaged to create the Windsor wealth.

i get it, you dont like monarchy??? i think they are way past their due date myself:)

hey, is windsor their lasdt name? i never knew that.so thats why we have like windsor ontario, right?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
MapleLeafGirl

Queen Victoria was a "Hanover" (House of Hanover)..

George VI (Elizabeth's Father I think) was a Sax-Coburg-Gotha (he changed it to Windsor - more British
sounding as the former was too European.)

Thus Elizabeth and her family are of the House of Windsor

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
we've seen Genocidal maniacs head of state, ours can do nothing, but keep our prime minister in check, so I prefer that thank you very much, and the money.....

Your monarch can't even do that. Your PM may not be a megalomaniac from Texas, but still a megalomaniac nonetheless. Oh ya, and did I mention your illustrious head of state didn't keep him in check?

Soooooo.....WHAT THE **** ARE YOU PAYING HER FOR? :wave:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Your monarch can't even do that. Your PM may not be a megalomaniac from Texas, but still a megalomaniac nonetheless. Oh ya, and did I mention your illustrious head of state didn't keep him in check?

Soooooo.....WHAT THE **** ARE YOU PAYING HER FOR? :wave:

AH but SHE could........do you know the difference between the German people and the italian people's in world war two?....do you?....The german people had nothing else, Hitler was their ruler, head of state, president if you will, he told them what to do and they had to follow....and they had no choice but to go to hell with him.

The Italians however, had a King, they could get rid of Musolini and know that their king would be their to keep an eye open and set up a new governement......who does America have to turn to if their president mucks up?...and dont say vote him out, because they pretty much didnt vote him in anyway, so effectivley he's the same as our king or queen.

No they didn't keep him in check, because we were all bought into the WMD rubbish.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Who cares?

Really?

Who?

Just replying to all this monarchy bashing, ok it was instigated by Blackleaf and his UK propoganda, which is even boring me to high heavens, but apparently I bash the US all the time, so I feel I must defend my country, also I just get fed up, England isn't merely a state, neither is Scotland, neither is Wales or Northern Ireland, so why, unlike every other country in the world do people feel they have to generalise these countries by calling them all "British"...it's ignorance.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Daz

When I refer to all of the countries I use U.K. or United Kingdom - is that ok?

I understand each country has its own heritage and traditions, but the Royals are considered Royalty in what countries besides England in the British Isles or the U.K.?