Investigation into deaths of 5 British prostitutes intensifies

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The murders of five women in England who worked as prostitutes has prompted a "tremendous response" from the public, police said Wednesday.

More...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The original victims of Jack the Ripper were: Mary Ann Nichols, Annie Chapman, Elizabeth Stride, Catherine Eddowes, and Mary Jane Kelly. Other prostitutes were killed but what these women had in common was that they were all slashed and mutilated to some degree, Mary Kelly the worst.

There have been many murders of prostitutes over the years that the press wants to hang a Jack the Ripper tag on.
http://tinyurl.com/ykewps

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Ah, but none happened so quickly as there #Juan....these are particularly sadistic in nature too, the perp for this job is certainly trying to pretend to BE Jack the ripper.

No doubt.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I haven't seen any details of these recent murders, or the condition of the victims. It could be that police are withholding information which is only fair. A couple years ago I had occasion to do a bit of research on J the R, and whoever he was, he was an animal. The girls were all stabbed and slashed and Mary Kelly was literally eviscerated and butchered.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Ah, but he generally left a pretty long gap between killings, this fellow (because invariably it's a man) seems to like his thrills much sooner, could be his undoing methinks

(obviously apart from one example where he was caught in the middle of a killing, scarpered and killed another hooker on the way home...or wherever)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You might be right Daz

Modern technology might help to end this latest monster as well. The original didn't have to contend with car radios, television, and DNA, for starters.

Funny, not being familiar with the word,"scarpered", I plugged it into my on-line dictionary and the first definition that popped up was,"cut and run".....:roll:

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
You might be right Daz

Modern technology might help to end this latest monster as well. The original didn't have to contend with car radios, television, and DNA, for starters.

Funny, not being familiar with the word,"scarpered", I plugged it into my on-line dictionary and the first definition that popped up was,"cut and run".....:roll:

I apologise, it's the English in me, yep scarpered generally means to run away very quickly.

But as I see it, this Ipswich ripper fellow wont be anything like people's traditional view of the Whitechapel murderer, for a start, I think he'll sound like a character from "Great expectations". To be honest though, I think, if he had any sense, he'd be out of the country by now....although no doubt interpol are looking for him also.

* Definition scarper
verb UK SLANG
to leave very quickly, often to avoid getting into trouble:
The police are coming! We'd better scarper.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Britain
travelBreadcrumbsArticle();

The Times December 13, 2006
Suffolk murders

Sex worker killer matches toll of Victorian Jack the Ripper

Stewart Tendler, Crime Correspondent
In little more than a month the Ipswich murderer has managed to equal the grisly record of Jack the Ripper more than a century ago. Jack the Ripper, like his modern counterpart, struck in red light areas, picking up prostitutes who worked in the gaslit streets of East London in the 1880s.

NI_MPU('middle');
His five attacks took place through the summer and autumn of 1888. Despite his appearances on the streets of Whitechapel the women continued to ply for trade.
Each of the girls was killed and eviscerated. In one frenzied night in September 1888, the Ripper struck twice.
He taunted Scotland Yard but he was never caught. Criticism of the police failure was even voiced by Queen Victoria and the commissioner of the day was forced to retire.
In the early 1960s, Scotland Yard failed to track down another killer, named Jack the Stripper, who attacked prostitutes in West London and who may have killed at least seven. All were picked up in red light areas, murdered, stripped and stored possibly in a garage before being left in the Thames or alleyways.
The struggle to catch Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, who struck in red-light areas in the 1970s and early 1980s was also dogged by police failures. Sutcliffe killed 13 women, often striking them with a hammer and gouging or stabbing them.
Almost all were prostitutes working in Bradford, Leeds, Manchester and Huddersfield. Police repeatedly blundered and in the aftermath of the capture of Sutcliffe, now in Broadmoor, a highly critical report led to a national overhaul of major investigations.
In 2003 Tony Hardy, the Bin Bag Killer, was caught after luring three prostitutes to his council flat. He was also nicknamed the Camden Ripper and was eventually jailed.
John Haigh, the Acid Bath Killer, horrified Britain in the post-war 1940s. He admitted killing nine times, often to steal cash. Victims bodies were dissolved in a bath of acid.
Twenty years later the Moors Murderers, Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, killed five.
In the 1970s Dennis Nilsen killed 15 young men after luring them to his homes in North London.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
To be honest though, the sickest of murderers isn't usually caught for a very long time?...You guys know who Fred and Rose West are right?..sadistic serial killers both of em, it took decades to catch them, and when they did, it was about another matter.

I only mention them because a friend of mine used to park in the local council car park and spoke to them nearly every day, and he never, ever (according to him anyway) noticed anything strange about them.

As far as the Swede goes, I wondered what Sven Goran Eriksson was doing with his evenings these days, ipswich is afterall a favourite haunt for ex-England managers!!!....although perhaps he did think he was in Victorian times, where a (£) Pound could get you a harem!!!.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
:( This kind of savagery (sp) makes me physically ill. It leaves me with no answers and all questions.

Especially if you consider that Prostitutes were once considered to be working in a noble profession that was commended by the Pope for their *ahem* services to the Christian menfolk.

How low they have fallen.

I blame the respective western goverments for making them hate figures for sickos like this one.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
Of course this sad part of the world takes the cake. As you are probably aware of our Robert pickton---not yet convicted but probably will be of murdering---what? 20 , 30 some even say 40 or more sex trade workers.

Hey prosititutes are people too---a many of them better people than much of the crap that leads many nations.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Of course this sad part of the world takes the cake. As you are probably aware of our Robert pickton---not yet convicted but probably will be of murdering---what? 20 , 30 some even say 40 or more sex trade workers.

Hey prosititutes are people too---a many of them better people than much of the crap that leads many nations.

You have absolutly no idea. DC would fall apart without stress management from a few of my friends. Believe me.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
You have absolutly no idea. DC would fall apart without stress management from a few of my friends. Believe me.

Ok, I'm gonna admit this cus no-one here knows me.........

2 of my cousins were, and still are prostitutes (mainly to feed their drug addictions), they were pretty much sold onto the game by their everloving, evercaring mother (my mother's sister), it stems back a long, simply put their mother was a spoilt brat who was (unlike the rest of his daughters) safe in the hands of their child-molesting father..

and as luck would have it, because of the kindness he and his loving wife heaped upon her, she turned out just like them....

Yes, I have no love for my deceased grand parents on my mother's side.

But back to the point, it's a number of things, it's a vicious circle really, they work (mostly) to pay off their drug habit, the drugs are produced (usually out of the country) and brought in via highly illegal means....effectivly, surely the best way to stop sicko's like the one mentioned would be to target the drugs cartel?.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
That would be a nice plus but not all of these girls are drug adicts, my friends are proffessionals and have reputations for being clean and sober and see doctors on regular basis. Im not talking about girls that walk the streets. These girls literally keep the stress rate down in DC.

This guy targets "street walkers" Want to save these girls from freaks? Legalise it and make it mandatory they carry health cards. Nevada does it.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
That would be a nice plus but not all of these girls are drug adicts, my friends are proffessionals and have reputations for being clean and sober and see doctors on regular basis. Im not talking about girls that walk the streets. These girls literally keep the stress rate down in DC.

This guy targets "street walkers" Want to save these girls from freaks? Legalise it and make it mandatory they carry health cards. Nevada does it.

A VERY large percentage of them are you know....there are very few who do it simply for the money or sexual gratification.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Ok I get that but my suggestion stands. Make it legal and freaks will have less to slaughter. To me its just another way to make a living.

I kinda implied that earlier with my lament of Governments who have transformed a respectable industry into a sleezy underworld...completely agree.....now where did that native indian go and what was he doing round urs? ;)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Im sorry sweety I didnt see it earlier :) And My Sweet Indian KNOWS when to give a girl a bit of pouting space after a bad day ;) Thats why I keep him around but I DONT introduce him to my friends! ;)