Pope visits Blue Mosque in Istanbul

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Pope Benedict made a special trip to Istanbul's Blue Mosque in Turkey on Thursday in a move seen as a conciliatory gesture toward Muslims as part of his visit to the predominantly Muslim country.

More...

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Pope Benedict made a special trip to Istanbul's Blue Mosque in Turkey on Thursday in a move seen as a conciliatory gesture toward Muslims as part of his visit to the predominantly Muslim country.

More...

Regardless of your religious convictions, surely most of you must admit that the Pope is a very brave man for entering a Muslim country at this time!

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
yes sanctus, I think it is good to see a further attempt for the children of abraham to try to find a peace amungst themselves. Such a "small jesture" could have giant ripples throughout the world.

Now I will just wait for that papal apology for the church trying to exterminate my ancestors.... yeah, we know it isn't coming.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
yes sanctus, I think it is good to see a further attempt for the children of abraham to try to find a peace amungst themselves. Such a "small jesture" could have giant ripples throughout the world.

Now I will just wait for that papal apology for the church trying to exterminate my ancestors.... yeah, we know it isn't coming.

And those ancestors would be? Children of Abraham?? Surely you are not working on the assumption that their false religion is comparable to the Christian faith!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Regardless of your religious convictions, surely most of you must admit that the Pope is a very brave man for entering a Muslim country at this time!

He should get a medal of bravery for this....I wouldn't advise him to walk past a Muslim on the side walk let alone go to one of their countries.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
And those ancestors would be? Children of Abraham?? Surely you are not working on the assumption that their false religion is comparable to the Christian faith!

Bravo Sanctus, I couldn't of said it better myself, I seem to remember something about worshiping false gods from Sunday school. Could that be you know what his name who married a six year old?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Pope Benedict XVI Islam controversy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Pope Benedict XVI, January 2006The Pope Benedict XVI Islam controversy arose from a lecture delivered on 12 September 2006 by Pope Benedict XVI at the University of Regensburg in Germany. The Pope had previously served as professor of theology at the university, and his lecture was entitled "Faith, Reason and the University — Memories and Reflections".

The lecture received ample doses of both condemnation and praise from political and religious authorities. Many Islamic politicians and religious leaders registered protest against what they said was an insulting mischaracterization of Islam,[1][2] contained in the quotation by the Pope of the following passage:

Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.[2]

The passage originally appeared in the “Dialogue Held With A Certain Persian, the Worthy Mouterizes, in Anakara of Galatia”[3], written in 1391 as an expression of the views of the Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus on such issues as forced conversion, holy war, and the relationship between faith and reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI_Islam_controversy

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Ya I know, I was kidding....I just don't think it was all that bad.

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
The actual speech is here, and it is important to note the setting which was in a university, to students...and the Pope had to go so far back in time because there is virtually no peaceful, tolerant passages in which he could use as examples of how violence was not the will of Allah.

The former referance in this thread is an example of how people didn't bother to read the speech before they jumped on the bandwagon to tar and feather the freedom of speech that the Pope happened to exercise.

The reaction was violence, murder and destruction...l always say that actions speak louder than words.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/b...vi_spe_20060912_university-regensburg_en.html
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/b...vi_spe_20060912_university-regensburg_en.html

the seventh conversation (διάλεξις - controversy) edited by Professor Khoury, the emperor touches on the theme of the holy war. The emperor must have known that surah 2, 256 reads: "There is no compulsion in religion". According to some of the experts, this is probablyone of the suras of the early period, when Mohammed was still powerless and under threat.

But naturally the emperor also knew the instructions, developed later and recorded in the Qur'an, concerning holy war. Without descending to details, such as the difference in treatment accorded to those who have the "Book" and the "infidels", he addresses his interlocutor with a startling brusqueness, a brusqueness that we find unacceptable, on the central question about the relationship between religion and violence in general, saying: "Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.”[3]

The emperor, after having expressed himself so forcefully, goes on to explain in detail the reasons why spreading the faith through violence is something unreasonable. Violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul. "God", he says, "is not pleased by blood - and not acting reasonably (σὺν λόγω) is contrary to God's nature. Faith is born of the soul, not the body. Whoever would lead someone to faith needs the ability to speak well and to reason properly, without violence and threats... To convince a reasonable soul, one does not need a strong arm, or weapons of any kind, or any other means of threatening a person with death...".[4]
The decisive statement in this argument against violent conversion is this: not to act in accordance with reason is contrary to God's nature.[5]

Interesting how, when you have the ACTUAL words he used, it makes NO sense at all that the Muslims Murdered an old woman who cared for sick children simply because she was a nun, and it makes NO SENSE that the Muslims destroyed impoverished Christan buildings, and the Muslims burned a priest effigy and violently protested, and beat up two old priests, simply due to the fact that no one bothered to actually read the speech and pass on the positive message to other Muslims...

The Pope made an error, however, he told the students that Islam was non-Violent in an effort to hold out an olive branch to those Islamists that were trying to distance themselves from the violent and intolerant religion [which many call a cult]...this was a mistake, because it is clearly violent, intolerant and the actions of the reaction speak louder than words...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The Pope's visit to Turkey and his quest for peace and reconciliation between Catholics and Muslims is not unprecedented. In 1997 Pope John Paul II established diplomatic relations with Libya against the ardent wishes of Reagan. It is this which compelled Qaddafi to mellow out his harshness towards the West.

Dialogue, tact, and diplomacy has its rewards.

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
The Previous Pope also visited Turkey and the Violent and intolerant Islamists Shot him...Pope John Paul...in other words, they simply HATE CHRISTIANS...

another reason why the Pope was visiting the Blue Mosque was to be a good role model and show respect and tolerance for other religions. Unlike the Turkish Islamists, who were rude, medievel and demonstrated violence and hatred for Christians.

In fact, the way they treat Christians has been the barrier between Turkey being accepted into the EU, and although the DISCRIMINATION and shameless violence is something the Christians have been froced to endure, the atrocities are even worse in those who dare to convert to Christianity, or even venture into publication of anything that might rightly describe the opinion that Mu's story might be invalid. There are many examples but here is the latest-

ISTANBUL, Turkey — Two men who converted to Christianity went on trial Thursday for allegedly insulting "Turkishness" and inciting religious hatred against Islam, the Anatolia news agency reported.

The trial opened just days before a visit to Turkey by Pope Benedict XVI. During his visit, the pontiff is expected to discuss improved religious rights for the country's tiny Christian minority who complain of discrimination.

Hakan Tastan, 37, and Turan Topal, 46, are accused of making the insults and of inciting hate while allegedly trying to convert other Turks to Christianity. If convicted, the two Turkish men could face up to nine years in prison.

The men were charged under Turkey's Article 301, which has been used to bring charges against dozens of intellectuals _ including Nobel Prize-winner Orhan Pamuk.

The law has widely been condemned for severely limiting free expression and European officials have demanded Turkey change it as part of reforms to join the EU.

They also are charged under a law against inciting hatred based on religion.

Prosecutors accuse the two of allegedly telling possible converts that Islam was "a primitive and fabricated" religion and that Turks would remain "barbarians" as long they continued practicing Islam, Anatolia reported.

The prosecutors also accused them of speaking out against the country's compulsory military service, and compiling databases on possible converts.

Tastan and Topal denied the accusations in court.

"I am a Turk, I am a Turkish citizen. I don't accept the accusations of insulting 'Turkishness,'" Anatolia quoted Tastan as telling the court. "I am a Christian, that's true. I explain the Bible ... to people who want to learn. I am innocent."

In the past Turkey has a long, long history of Human Abuses that have been and are being investigated, the problem is that since everything is justified as correct in the Quran, and the leaders and majority of population is Islamists, there has to be a serious look at exactly how the Quran can be revised to meet with the simple standards of the civilized world---need l say it---torture is not allowed anymore, and people have the right to be free in any religion they chose, child brides amounts to peophilia and rape, and no you may not murder innocent Christians as a part of a protest...

There are more than 5,000 cases against Turkey at the European Court for Human Rights
--humanrightswatch.com

In fact, this act of the Pope is a huge concession given the previous historical facts of hatred towards Christians, which have included Illegal expelling and violence including beatings, and murder and robbery.

This in fact has served the Turkish Muslims with wealth and revenue as homes and businesses were taken over, lock, stock and barrel..

In Turkey and Turkish occupied Cyprus the position of the Orthodox continues to deteriorate. Despite international guarantees contained within the 1923 Treaty of Lausanne, the Turkish government continues to enforce the closure of the famous Halki Orthodox Theological Academy in Istanbul. Families of those Orthodox illegally expelled in the 1950's and 1960's have never been allowed to return to their homes, again in contravention of the 1923 treaty guaranteeing their right to do so.

In Cyprus, 450 Orthodox Churches on the northern part of the island have been desecrated; some have become night clubs while others have been turned into public toilets. Other churches and historical monuments, some dating back to the 5th century, have been looted and left to rot away. There is a sustained campaign to remove entirely the last traces of the 2000 year old Orthodox presence from occupied Cyprus.
http://www.orthodox-christian-comment.co.uk/orthodox_christian_holocaust.htm

Perhaps the Pope had to chose the Mosque, understanding that God is everywhere, simply due to the fact that Christian Churches have been stolen by the Islamic Government to be made into public toliets. And the robbery included looting and destruction...very profitable and of course, this is an act of Allah...yes indeed it is fine and dandy with the Quran. Mu's motto was in verse after verse about how it is okay to steal, rampage, destroy and take slaves...hi-ho,hi-ho, it's off to loot we go...

So the Pope was the role model for the Islamists...the Christians are still hoping for their family homes to be restored by a government who is trying to portray and image of civility and join the EU. A government who allows discrimination, protests threatening violence, murder and distruction...well only allowable if it against the infidels that is....

Last edited: