Western Hemisphere Trade Initiative

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
http://www.csis.org/component/option,com_csis_events/task,view/id,1144/

The link provided will give an overview of a meeting held yesterday between Canadian and U.S.
agencies regarding the new "documentation requirements" for cross-border travel.

While dull as dry toast, I sat through it this morning because they broadcast it at 3am.... and the people on the link page were all interesting speakers - in fact the "dull" forum became pretty interesting except for a few who pontificate as some will do....

As their is an audio link feed thought if some were interested...I'd share it. Sorry - link not up yet - it was actually broadcast on CSPAN live on Wednesday and rebroadcast this morning. I'll try and get it later - guess everyone is
off work today...

BUT.... I have a question:

If you will read the speakers' list there is one gentleman from Quebec who speaks as if Canadian, U.S. and Quebec are all separate entities. I am confused. Does Quebec believe itself to be a separate unit from Canada? He is listed in the Third Group - Eric Marquis "Government of Quebec".... I feel as if I have missed something here.

The complexities of acceptable identification for all the various groups who flock back and forth across our common border seems to be highly complicated (or is being made complicated)....and I see yet another great bureaucracy being birthed.... but I only contribute financially to these governmental quirksians....

Hope you can link to the audio feed if you have time...

Last edited: