FLQ letter threatens new attacks

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazet...=58280176-9d90-4b78-b7d5-725e4549ad40&k=89853

MONTREAL - A letter claiming to be from a new cell of the Front de liberation du Quebec and threatening to take action for what it describes as ''Anglo-Saxon imperialism'' in the West Island and west-end Montreal is being investigated by police.
The letter, from a group or someone identifying themselves as the ''Camille Laurin Cell'' of the FLQ, was sent last week to media outlets and city halls in the western part of Montreal Island.
The letter, dated Nov. 15, threatens ''the hits will begin very exactly in three months,'' an apparent reference to Feb. 15, the anniversary of the day when five members of the Patriotes rebellion against British colonial authority were hanged in 1839.
The author claims French-speaking Quebecers are ''systematically ridiculed by a local anglophone majority who scorn the French language and the rights of francophones.''
In 1970, members of the FLQ kidnapped British trade commissioner James Cross and kidnapped and murdered Quebec Labour Minister Pierre Laporte, setting off the October Crisis.
''All these types of threats are taken seriously and are investigated,'' RCMP Cpl. Sylvain L'Heureux said.
''It's an ongoing investigation and at this point there is no indication they are going to go forward with those threats.''
Letters like the one sent out last week emerge every six months or so, L'Heureux said. But he added that even if their author has no intention to carry out the threat, he or she can still be charged with a Criminal Code offence.
A RCMP investigator who is a member of the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET), is in charge of the probe. INSET is a partnership among the RCMP, the Quebec provincial police, Montreal police, and federal agencies, who share information on possible terrorist threats.
Montreal Gazette

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Some people are never happy. No matter how good they have it.
The french get all the top jobs in government. You cant get a good job in Canada unless your french. What are they upset about now?
Natives have a right to be upset in Canada. But the french? No.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Some people are never happy. No matter how good they have it.
The french get all the top jobs in government. You cant get a good job in Canada unless your french. What are they upset about now?
Natives have a right to be upset in Canada. But the french? No.
For obvious reasons, I'm with Gonzo on this one.

F**K the FLQ, bring it on. It will only fuel the annomostity in English Canada.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Canada has to stop pandering to the french. The FLQ knows they'll get something out of it, and if they get caught, they're off the hook. At least in the US they dont put up with separatist crap. Thats why it's not an issue. In Canada we give in. Now Harper recognizes Quebec as a nation! Give an inch, and they'll take a mile.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The FLQ member who strangled Pierre LaPort used to work for Lucien Bouchard. We probably pay the bastard a pension now.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I wouldn't doubt it Juan.

What did they get when they all came back from Cuba, a couple years in jail?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hey those were crazy times ITN. My Dad pulled security detail during the FLQ crisis, when he was in the RCMP. He carried a friend to a waiting Ambulance, with a huge gash in his chest, because the FLQ protestors were using sharpend hockey sticks to hold up their plackards and they were not afraid to use them.

That, on top of the kidnappings and bombs. I'm thinking the War Measures act, wasn't the worst thing PET ever did.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Wanna bet it's some pimplely face nar-do-weller who gets his/her kicks out of sending those letters. I hope they catch this person before they act on their threats.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I hope to God this FLQ **** isn't serious...

Except for a few deluded lunatics, they would not get ANY support in Quebec. Quebecers do not support violence.

Mr.Roboto

Ballroom dancing champion
Nov 24, 2006
Quebec City
I hope to God this FLQ **** isn't serious...

Except for a few deluded lunatics, they would not get ANY support in Quebec. Quebecers do not support violence.

I agree with you. We should take this with a grain of salt, probably some noname kid. But if it turns out to be real (we never know, but I doubt it), you can be sure that the population will massively deplore these acts of violence.