Bar owners lose battle in anti-smoking law war

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Good! I am very relieved that we didn't have to backtrack on this issue. Let smokers smoke outside, whatever they smoke!

gearheaded1

Never stop questioning
Oct 21, 2006
Alberta
Breath of fresh air

Too bad so sad... they should realize that having a cleaner environment will bring in new patrons. In reality, most smokers will simply hold off for a while if they actually like a place enough.

It is entirely possible that the only thing keeping patrons in this owner's particular bar, was the ability to smoke. Eh, and now he himself must exit his bar to light up a cancer stick. HA! :laughing7:

wolfking99

Nov 21, 2006
Totally true to all of you...we do need a cleaner environment badly. Plus this ban on smoking in pubs might keep the smokers from smoking so frequently

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Yes, but it is a growing and remarkable branch of social fascism. Good to see though more aggressive tactics to be taken in the war on obesity. Fast food outlets might soon see their media advertising curtailed at the same time their icons are removed from our public schools. But is that enough? Surely if we can have smokers smoke outside we can have the obese eat their fast food treats outdoors as well. I don't want to share a public place with giants while at Wendy's or Burger King. I expect gluttons and their mimics to be asked to eat outside so that they're aware this type of location should be the last they should be visiting in their condition. It's time. I also expect full public support.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LOL Government legislating morality and social habituation....

Lots of luck government.....spend all that money finding out people will "quit or obey" when they are good and ready to - not when laws are enacted to dictate it.

I can see a whole patrol of "puffer police" much like the Keystone Cops chasing a smoker down the street trying to
write a ticket for inside puffing....

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Yes, but it is a growing and remarkable branch of social fascism. Good to see though more aggressive tactics to be taken in the war on obesity. Fast food outlets might soon see their media advertising curtailed at the same time their icons are removed from our public schools. But is that enough? Surely if we can have smokers smoke outside we can have the obese eat their fast food treats outdoors as well. I don't want to share a public place with giants while at Wendy's or Burger King. I expect gluttons and their mimics to be asked to eat outside so that they're aware this type of location should be the last they should be visiting in their condition. It's time. I also expect full public support.

I quit smoking nearly 5 years ago. I woke up one day and just didnt want one. My soulmate joined me and neither of us had a single one since then. Now, a few weeks ago I was on Prudence Island with my sis and her friends 3 of them are chain smokers. We were stuck in this small cellar (its all the house thats built) and by the next morning (noone slept) I ended up in a severe asma attach. First one in years. Now if that was a bar I could have left and went on home. But why should I be punished because others want to ruin their lungs. This isnt a passive hobby, second hand smoke kills. Every pub Ive been to here at home Ive noticed if Im sitting at the bar and a male smoker walks up he puts it out. Im quite thankful and always say thank you.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Curiosity, Canada is developing a reputation - predictable natch since we house so many of the elite that trumpet PC - for legislating correct behaviour. The tongue troopers are famous in Quebec for browbeating any who would dare to challenge the province's sign laws. We have the 'puffer police' goonbeating legion members, bingo hall owners and attendants and bar and restaurant owners. We have all sorts of public safety police closing down playgrounds for safety violations and chasing bicyclists down the road who dare to ride helmetless. We are a country that loves to bully its citizens. Somewhere in the last many years someone tapped our brains, and like a giddy chorus of maple-syrupers, let all the good stuff treacle in their pots.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
LOL Government legislating morality and social habituation....

Lots of luck government.....spend all that money finding out people will "quit or obey" when they are good and ready to - not when laws are enacted to dictate it.

I can see a whole patrol of "puffer police" much like the Keystone Cops chasing a smoker down the street trying to
write a ticket for inside puffing....

I hardly fail to see why there would be "puffer police" in any Canadian city Curiosity. Ottawa has been wonderfully 100% smokefree since 2001 (iirc, it was the first Canadian city to do so), and while it saw a decline in business for the first 18 months (attributed to its close proximity to Hull), it has since rebounded and businesses are doing better now than before. I would be hard-pressed to believe that an individual would ever be charged unless there were police in the business at the time (and even then it seems unlikely); it would be the business being charged and fined, which has been the case in Ontario.

Those who claim that they will lose incredibly business are merely doing so as empty rhetoric. If someone is so addicted to cigarettes that they would rather stay at home and smoke out of spite than do any of the activities they enjoyed before (and that would be a lot of them, since Ontario has a province-wide ban now), they need to get a reality check on their priorities. The inverse to that scenario, though, seems far more likely, and thus the bans seem to help.

There is a plethora of article supporting my arguement here - note the 2003 article "181 New/Expanded bars and restaurants since [Ottawa] smoking by-law enacted." Further, according to Fair Air Canada (who are a pro-smoking lobby), there have been less than 100 charges laid province-wide since the ban took effect in Ontario this year. And, according to an article published in Blackwell Synergy, where they studied the trends in smoking areas before and after laws went into effect, "[o]utcome measures showed declining trends at baseline before the bylaw went into effect. Results from ARIMA intervention and regression analyses did not support the hypotheses that the smoke-free bylaw had an impact that resulted in (1) abrupt permanent, (2) gradual permanent or (3) abrupt temporary changes in restaurant and bar sales."

I remember 7 or 8 years ago, when people were all up in arms when bike helmets became mandatory for anyone under 18. Now that that (my) generation has passed that age, no young person even gives them a second thought - in fact, in my small, conservative town I've yet to see a young person in the past 5 years without one on.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Tamarin/Snowles

Fair arguments of course - where I live people are inclined to err on the side of healthy lifestyle so there are rarely problems here where smokers choose to practice their habits....

It seems more of a social thing too - you are a jerk if you light up in a non-smoking environment - and people are so hung up on "doing the right thing" they obey...which is good for everyone.

Don't get me wrong - being in a smoking environment could send me to the hospital...I prefer good air.

What I argue with is legislation rather than leaving it up to the people to make their rules ... when does it stop? When does it end for government telling us how to live?

Do you think it will never get out of control? Hmmmmm history would tell me otherwise.

Anyway I'm still working on the vast and acceptable number of drunks who pile in behind a wheel to drive themselves home - in a stupor. The laws are in place - but society still accepts it as "living". Oh me. We are all familiar with the drunk driver homocide rates....

Oopsie....forgot to mention one thing here about smoking /restaurants / bars. Because of the nature of California weather there are many outside patios where smoking is allowed - often there are convenient fans blowing the smoke
elsewhere and the smokers while getting fewer in number seem to gravitate to these places which still allow it...
Don't know if there is much outside eating or drinking in Canadian venues.

Last edited:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The anti-smoking laws are draconian and are the furthest thing from a grass-roots movement I have seen. This is more to do with the WHO than anything else as proven by this world wide pandemonium of nosey governments telling legitimate bar owners they can't have smoking in their establishments. Old men drinking brandy and having fine cigars in the "old man brandy and fine cigar bar" should be allowed to do so and if your some person who believes your going to die from second hand smoke from attending such establishments, don't attend them. Open the "nosey socialite bar" and don't allow smoking.

Now their talking about banning smoking on patios, and in cars....is there any limit to madness?

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
OK Self-activated

You first....strut your stuff!

I have no clue what your meaning is but even as a smoker I NEVER smoked around non smokers! I LIVE my beliefs. To the point Ive lost friends because Ive admitted my more blemished ego. I DO help old ladys to their cars I DO smile at people and make their day brighter! I DO house sit for a friggin WEEK while people are burying THEIR dead and Im STILL grieving for my own! I DO put others in front of my self on a HOURLY basis! MAYBE if others did TOO you wouldnt have to legislate what pagans live by!!! DO NO HARM!

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Thomaska

BINGO - makes little sense eh?

I'm a smoker too, by the way. I won't light up in a restaurant, because people "have" to go there to eat out. But the local pub down the street? Your favorite bar, where 99% of the people smoke? It's a bit silly to ban smoking there because one or two people don't smoke. I'm not talking about some big chain bar/grill. Some mom and pops tavern thats had the same customers for 30 to 40 years shouldn't have to conform because some yuppie doesn't like his clothes from The Gap getting a little stinky. Just my two cents tho..