Now we have a white poppy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As much as I would love to see world peace. The lead up to Nov. 11 is not the time to begin political statement debates.

The Poppy is a National Rememberance symbol and registered trademark of the Royal Canadian Legion. The creation and distrobution of a white version is an infridgement.

You'ld think that would be the end of the debate, bot sadly, no.

I heard all sorts of people call in to radio shows today and cry fowl, "how dare the Vets tell me what to wear!"

Really the never of some people! It is not about what you can and can not wear, it is about what you should or should not wear on Nov. 11.

The "you're not the boss-o-me" line used so cutely in grade 1, really looks and sounds stupid, coming from an adult.

Far to often in these modern days people have begun to take these issues on a personnal level and totally negated what is right. I don't care if you do not want to buy a Poppy. It is your choice, but to infridge, both legally and morally on the Rememberance of our fallen, is just rude. Grow up people, have some respect.

If you want to wear a white poppy for peace, you can have World Peace Day, all to yourselves, hell, I'ld even drop 10 bucks in the box and grab 4 for the family.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
On world peace day sell your white petunia the Legion ownes the rights to the poppy. Leave Rememberance Day alone, it's a special day for some Canadians.

I'd buy a white petunia or what ever on peace day by the handful for World Peace Day.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
An American, Miss Moina Belle Michael, read In Flanders’ Fields and wrote a reply.

Oh! You who sleep in Flanders’ fields,
Sleep sweet - to rise anew,
We caught the torch you threw,
And holding high we kept
The faith with those who died.
We cherish too, the poppy red
That grows on fields where valour led.

It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies,
But lends a lustre to the red
Of the flower that blooms above the dead
In Flanders’ fields.

And now the torch and poppy red
Wear in honour of our dead.
Fear not that ye have died for naught
We’ve learned the lesson that ye taught
In Flanders’ fields.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
On world peace day sell your white petunia the Legion ownes the rights to the poppy. Leave Rememberance Day alone, it's a special day for some Canadians.

I'd buy a white petunia or what ever on peace day by the handful for World Peace Day.

Amen. Leave the red poppy alone.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Have to agree. Remembrance day poppies are red, and only red.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
On Saturday I will be at the memorial service shivering with my dog, I never miss a service. Yes Harley sports a poppy on his scarf.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thats wonderful Easty, give him a kiss on the cheek as a thankyou from me will ya. I lost my Great Uncle in Korea he was only 18 and the only male in that blood line.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006

I hate to break this to you but the legion owns the rights to nothing, red, white or black poppies.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
interesting, bear.

People are habitual and ritualistic, thus one of the ways to change a culture is to keep the "cerimonies" but change the content to suit your new agenda. I wonder if that is the intent of the "white poppy". Will nov 11 eventually become "world peace day" where we "think of the future" rather than "remember the past"? In the middle of WW1 troops on both sides stopped fighting on Dec 25. Maybe we should use that as a motivator for making Dec 25 "world peace day".

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think December 25th is already taken.... December 26th as well........I would prefer to leave the hollidays as they are thank you...;)

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I hate to break this to you but the legion owns the rights to nothing, red, white or black poppies.

Frankly, it rather seems to me that if the red poppy supposedly symbolizes the fight vets did to give us freedom, that freedom should also include the right to wear whatever colour poppy one wants to wear at any time of year, November 11th or not.