Harper calls off summit

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is no reason why he couldn't attend that summit. By not going, he is damaging Canada's reputation. He should go and explain his position. Running away and hiding never solved anything.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is no reason why he couldn't attend that summit. By not going, he is damaging Canada's reputation. He should go and explain his position. Running away and hiding never solved anything.
You know what, I like to be accountable for my actions. I like people to take accountablity for their actions, but in this case, the EU can stuff it. I here you all jump up and down claiming Canada is the US's puppet, but I would like to submit, we are actually and have been for some time a puppet of European powers. Why else would we pander to European arms dealers instead of purchasing better and cheaper equipment from the US? Why else we would we maintian a Monarch as our head of state, even if in symbol only?

Personally, I would have submitted my un-invitation with a "stuff it". We should not listen to American leaders chastise us on issues according to you guys, why is it you feel we should give the EU a chance to chastise us. Are we only a sovereign Nation when it suits your agenda?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
My problem is, he was allready committed to it and then he up and says he can't go. The story says he cited his reason for absence is because of the minority government and he wants to be here as much as possible, yet he has two trips upcoming this month, one in Asia, and one in Latvia, at the end of the month. November 27 is very close to the end of the month is it not? He's ducking criticism.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
My problem is, he was allready committed to it and then he up and says he can't go. The story says he cited his reason for absence is because of the minority government and he wants to be here as much as possible, yet he has two trips upcoming this month, one in Asia, and one in Latvia, at the end of the month. November 27 is very close to the end of the month is it not? He's ducking criticism.
If he was ducking American criticism for something agreed with, would you have a problem with it?

If he was ducking American criticism for something you didn't agree with, would you still have a problem with it?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Absolutely. Ducking criticism is not the actions of a good leader. Any good leader can stand up to the actions of their party. Whethor or not I agree with him is besides the point. I expect more from our Prime Minister, especially one who carries a supposed accountability in his pocket.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The country was committed to Kyoto. Harper was committed to that summit. The E.U. is not one country. It is twenty five countries who are all buyers, or potential buyers of Canadian goods. Do we really want to alienate them because Harper doesn't want to be criticised?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The country was committed to Kyoto. Harper was committed to that summit. The E.U. is not one country. It is twenty five countries who are all buyers, or potential buyers of Canadian goods. Do we really want to alienate them because Harper doesn't want to be criticised?
But you have insinuated he do the same towards the US. OUR BIGGEST trading partner. How is that Ok?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ummm, you brought the US into this thread, it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else, as trade relations between two parties involve a completely different set of circumstances. Maybe Juan has said it in other threads, but not here.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ummm, you brought the US into this thread, it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else, as trade relations between two parties involve a completely different set of circumstances. Maybe Juan has said it in other threads, but not here.
My point was that, Juan brought up our trading with the EU. If that is so important as to make Stephens absence such a huge issue, then where is the outrage over the anti American sentiment from the NDP or liberals.
I am merely pointing out the hypocracy.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What do the NDP or the Liberals have to do with this topic? I just think it is important that our government deal with other countries in a respectable manner. We cancel attending the summit and then decide to visit another country that is what, an hour's flight away. It is downright insulting and unnecessary.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What do the NDP or the Liberals have to do with this topic? I just think it is important that our government deal with other countries in a respectable manner. We cancel attending the summit and then decide to visit another country that is what, an hour's flight away. It is downright insulting and unnecessary.
My question, to which I thought your post was in answer too, was...

If he was ducking American criticism for something agreed with, would you have a problem with it?

If he was ducking American criticism for something you didn't agree with, would you still have a problem with it?

If your post was not an answer to that, then I most humbly with draw, if it was, well then try answering the question directly.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That question you posed was after you quoted me, and I did answer it, and you haven't responded to that except to change the course of conversation. That being you continued on the US focussed topic, which is irrelevant to the content of this thread.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That question you posed was after you quoted me, and I did answer it, and you haven't responded to that except to change the course of conversation. That being you continued on the US focussed topic, which is irrelevant to the content of this thread.
I'm posting to Juan.

And you didn't answer the question, my point is, you all cry when even Steven doesn't hop to your ideology, but if he were to snub some one that you didn't like or an issue you didn't like you would not shead a tear.

The hypocracy is deafening.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My question, to which I thought your post was in answer too, was...

If your post was not an answer to that, then I most humbly with draw, if it was, well then try answering the question directly.

Again, we are not talking about the U.S.. My point is still that if we commit to attend a summit, we should keep our word. If we cancel out with hastily contrived reasons and then go to another meeting just a little ways away, our credibility goes down the drain. This is really my only point. Why wouldn't Harper attend the summit and cut his visit short rather than just stay asway?

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
hmmmmm

Isn't the point more about our accountability and committment as a nation to the problem of global warming? Mr. Harper represents us. So does his abdication from any discussion about this issue.
It doesn't matter who's criticizing us - be it the US or Europe... if our policies are derailing important strides towards progress on an issue that affects ALL of us, we should be present and accountable for that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Again, we are not talking about the U.S.. My point is still that if we commit to attend a summit, we should keep our word. If we cancel out with hastily contrived reasons and then go to another meeting just a little ways away, our credibility goes down the drain. This is really my only point. Why wouldn't Harper attend the summit and cut his visit short rather than just stay asway?
You know Juan, I was beginning to appreciate your views, but you are damaging my perception of you by not answering the question directly. I fear that it is because my assumption is correct. The only time that this would be an issue is when it involves an issue that does not involve the anti American sentiment. If it were the US and not the EU, with their feathers ruffled here. You would not post a peep.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Now you're interpretting my own views of Harper, in which you are woefully inaccurate. I did answer the question, look at post # 7, which follows your post with the question. I support Harper's view of our role in Afghanistan, I do not support his environmental startegy.

I by no means am hypocritical in my statements regarding Harper, though I do find his accountability and this ducking of criticism to be hypocritical.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
hmmmmm

Isn't the point more about our accountability and committment as a nation to the problem of global warming? Mr. Harper represents us. So does his abdication from any discussion about this issue.
It doesn't matter who's criticizing us - be it the US or Europe... if our policies are derailing important strides towards progress on an issue that affects ALL of us, we should be present and accountable for that.
I'm not going to start debating the accord in here, we have that thread already. It's flawed, we're out so why go?

Why cry? I know why, it's an issue you support. If it wasn't you could careless. If it was a snub at the US, it wouldn't even rank a blip on your radar, or if it did, it would fuel you to add, "Good, who are these American's to tell us how to run our country!" Right?