Montreal store kicks out veteran selling poppies

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
A supermarket tossed a 76-year-old war veteran from his post selling poppies Wednesday in a scene that has nearly become a Remembrance Day tradition in Quebec.

More...

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
A supermarket tossed a 76-year-old war veteran from his post selling poppies Wednesday in a scene that has nearly become a Remembrance Day tradition in Quebec.

More...

Good. Personally I think we should get over our celebration of murdering one another and instead focus our national attention on peace and peace-makers. Instead of celebrating dead warriors, let's celebrate Jesus, Ghandi or Dr. King..John and Yoko even, anything not related to war and soldiers. We should be ashamed of having to murder one another to resolve our differences.

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
The legion is making a big stink about nothing. They allowed the legion to come but they are changing around so after several days they decided that the best way fr it to continue is for them to find a good spot. The veteran who was at the spot is not concerned about the issue, and the legion who are run by people who usually didn't go to war,ae making a stink about it.

I was offended when I read the headline but it is not a big freaking inciden at all.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
I can't believe you said that!

These men died for our FREEDOM. Wearing a poppy does not mean you support murder, it means you support the people who died for our FREEDOM. Why is it good that a 78 year old man was tossed out in probably a humiliating display?

Get out of my country.

(oops, researcher, we were posting together, I'm talking about Santus post, not yours,sorry)

Last edited:

Researcher87

Electoral Member
Sep 20, 2006
In Monsoon West (B.C)
can't believe you said that!

These men died for our FREEDOM. Wearing a poppy does not mean you support murder, it means you support the people who died for our FREEDOM. Why is it good that a 78 year old man was tossed out in probably a humiliating display?

Get out of my country.

The guy isn't even mking the issue so whatis the point of the legion making a big stink.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I can't believe you said that!

Get out of my country.

(oops, researcher, we were posting together, I'm talking about Santus post, not yours,sorry)

It's my country too. I happen to feel that hearing about past wars I did not participate in ad infinitim is tiresome. i couldn't give a dman about WW2 or WW1, not my war, not my issue.

Further, died for our freedom? When was it threatened. Studing history, I do not recall reading of the Axis plans to invade Canada?

My main point is war is legalized murder and we should not be celebrating our failure to resolve our differences in a peaceful fashion. It should be a source of national shame that we murdered other humans for any reason.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Further, died for our freedom? When was it threatened. Studing history, I do not recall reading of the Axis plans to invade Canada?

Mmmkay, you would wait till all of Europe was engulfed by the Axis powers and then sit around and wait to be invaded? Or do you think it would have stopped there?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Mmmkay, you would wait till all of Europe was engulfed by the Axis powers and then sit around and wait to be invaded? Or do you think it would have stopped there?

There is fact, and there is propaganda. you just quoted propaganda. Read history, there was not only no plans in the German hierarchy to invade outside of Europe, there were also no means for them to do so.

I would have done the same then as I would now, pray and adopt a non-violent position. War is evil, and a symbol of our failure to live as God intended us to live.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
There is fact, and there is propaganda. you just quoted propaganda. Read history, there was not only no plans in the German hierarchy to invade outside of Europe, there were also no means for them to do so.

I would have done the same then as I would now, pray and adopt a non-violent position. War is evil, and a symbol of our failure to live as God intended us to live.

Propaganda is misinformation, critical thought based on the available evidence (history) is not. Of course there were no immediate plans to invade Canada, but do you honestly think they would have stopped in Europe? Or better yet, where is your sense of morality when you allow a ruthless prick to take over hundrerds of millions of people and you stand idly by and do nothing about it?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Propaganda is misinformation, critical thought based on the available evidence (history) is not. Of course there were no immediate plans to invade Canada, but do you honestly think they would have stopped in Europe? Or better yet, where is your sense of morality when you allow a ruthless prick to take over hundrerds of millions of people and you stand idly by and do nothing about it?

so, to prove my sense of morality I have to pick up a gun and murder somebody who has done nothing at all to me? We could, and should, have adopted a non-violent response in the manner of Ghandi or King.

Besides, all that being said, and more to the point of the article,,yes, yes they did all these marvellous sacrifices, and yet, how many years do we have to have it beaten on our heads? Were you alive in 1939? I wasn't. It has nothing what-so-ever to do with me. It is history, it is over. We have enough problems today without worrying about **** that went on 60 odd years ago. Stop wasting your money on buying useless symbols respresenting some long gone war and spend it to help the people who need it today. I do.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

This is a photo of a long range bomber that was designed to attack North America. Fortunately, the allies overran Germany before this plane could be put into production. It sure as hell would have been used.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
German U-Boats were also active in the St Lawrence, they were not there for a pleasure cruise,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-boat
Battle of the St. Lawrence

Two significant attacks took place in 1942 when German U-boats attacked four allied ore carriers at Bell Island, Newfoundland. The carriers SS Saganaga and the SS Lord Strathcona were sunk by U 513 on September 5, 1942, while the SS Rosecastle and PLM 27 were sunk by U-518 on November 2 with the loss of 69 lives. When the submarine fired a torpedo at the loading pier, Bell Island became the only location in North America to be subject to direct attack by German forces in World War II.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

This is a photo of a long range bomber that was designed to attack North America. Fortunately, the allies overran Germany before this plane could be put into production. It sure as hell would have been used.

document please, from German sources of the period, any plans in work to invade anywhere outside of Europe. Have you read "Mein Kampf", for example, or statements Hitler or anyone in the German High Command made regarding their plans?

Anyway, re-arguing a long gone war is somewhat pointless. We know who won.

The point, the real point to my comments, is why must we have the events of that period constantly thrown into our collective faces? For example, aren't you, be honest, getting a little weary of hearing about the Holocaust?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
so, to prove my sense of morality I have to pick up a gun and murder somebody who has done nothing at all to me? We could, and should, have adopted a non-violent response in the manner of Ghandi or King.

Yeah that would of worked. We should have travelled in boats filled with chocolates and flowers and see if Hitler would have been pursuaded to give his quest for dominance.

Besides, all that being said, and more to the point of the article,,yes, yes they did all these marvellous sacrifices, and yet, how many years do we have to have it beaten on our heads?

As long as it takes for people who think the way you do.

Were you alive in 1939? I wasn't. It has nothing what-so-ever to do with me.

No, I wasn't alive in 1939, but today I live in freedom BECAUSE of those who died in 1939.

It is history, it is over. We have enough problems today without worrying about **** that went on 60 odd years ago. Stop wasting your money on buying useless symbols respresenting some long gone war and spend it to help the people who need it today. I do.

Look, I don't wear any poppies, simply because it isn't a tradition of remembrance in the US. Had it been, I would have. History may be over, but history repeats itself, in case you haven't noticed.

If you don't believe history has shaped our world today, if you don't believe that history is worth analyzing and possibly avoiding the same mistakes, if you don't believe you are who you are today BECAUSE of historical events, then there isn't much more I have to say to you.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Yeah that would of worked. We should have travelled in boats filled with chocolates and flowers and see if Hitler would have been pursuaded to give his quest for dominance.

Not at once, but eventually. Ghandi, through non-violence, brought the mightest empire in the entire history of the world to its knees. Martin Luther King forced an imperialistic, racist people to take a long and hard serious look at themselves, and he killed no one in the process.

The influence of Jesus and Christian values spread throughout the entire world, and Jesus killed not one person to spread His teachings.

Laern from history you write, fine. Learn from it. Of course it has an impact on our living today. But don't be so naive as to believe all the propaganda of the winning side. Do you really think they died for our freedom? Was that really the point of the war? Or was it a battle between ideologies and which ideology was going to dominate the world.

Did that war bring us freedom??? Really??? Than why does your country feel so free that it needs to maintain an impossibly expensive military?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Not at once, but eventually. Ghandi, through non-violence, brought the mightest empire in the entire history of the world to its knees. Martin Luther King forced an imperialistic, racist people to take a long and hard serious look at themselves, and he killed no one in the process.

Ghandi was "fighting" an imperial army within his own country. There is a vast difference between an uprising and a foreign army rushing into your borders with tanks and bombs.

The influence of Jesus and Christian values spread throughout the entire world, and Jesus killed not one person to spread His teachings.

He was also a God, not many Gods around in 1939 I'm afraid.

Laern from history you write, fine. Learn from it. Of course it has an impact on our living today. But don't be so naive as to believe all the propaganda of the winning side. Do you really think they died for our freedom? Was that really the point of the war? Or was it a battle between ideologies and which ideology was going to dominate the world.

Depending on which ideology "won" the war would equate to our freedoms. It isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Fascism = oppression, democracy = freedom. Your move.

Did that war bring us freedom??? Really??? Than why does your country feel so free that it needs to maintain an impossibly expensive military?

I'll make this short, because we have enemies.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
The SS Caribou was sunk by a German U-boat between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, It was a Passenger ferry!! not a millitary boat or mechant ship. Members of my family were killed on that boat. If it were not for members of our armed forces more and more Canadians on canadian soil would have been killed and we would not be sitting in the Country of Canada freely typing our thoughts and feelings on the internet. Don't think so..look at China, look at North Korea. In china the internet is partly blocked and completely monitored and in North Korea,,they never heard of it..ourside of the Government.

Agreed war is terrible, cruel and sick...be we have a free way of life...it didn't just happen...it was created and then defended...I am so proud that my forefathers defended my freedoms and paid so dearly for me to sit and type whatever I want to say today, and yes whatever anyone else wants to say, with the assurance that no one will knock on my door and take me away!!!

I don't care what Quebec thinks of Canada but the Canadian military fought for them to think freely and even talk of separation without being thrown in jail..Thats what we are remebering!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Absolute rubbish!

Was Holland pushing their ideology when they were invaded? Was Poland, Norway, Belgium, or any country that Hitler invaded? Ask people in those countries if their freedom was at stake.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
It's my country too. I happen to feel that hearing about past wars I did not participate in ad infinitim is tiresome. i couldn't give a dman about WW2 or WW1, not my war, not my issue.

My main point is war is legalized murder and we should not be celebrating our failure to resolve our differences in a peaceful fashion. It should be a source of national shame that we murdered other humans for any reason.
HAHAHA You, are a complete ****ing idiot. Yes Ill call names, you deserve to be called them.

There not your issue anymore that for sure, we arent under German Rule, so your right. The German advance on the world was quite real. At the end of the war and some cases durning the war, there were plans found for the Invasion of South America and North America. Plans made by Both German and Japanese.

The fact that you are disgraceing most of our Grandfathers, For something you clearly have no real knowlage of is wrong.

Reslove our issuse in a peaceful fashion....so what do we do once we failed asking the Nazis and the Imperial Army to leave us alone? Let them come and take our freedom away? Let them March on us with out fighting them? Perhaps we could offer our Jewish population to them? maybe then they would leave us alone.

You are an Idiot, One complete Idiot. You dont deserve to live in this Free Country if you think like this about World War 2 Of all things. Perhaps You would be better off living in a country thats opressed and overran by forigen influance.....where the Country is fighting back, why...because thats what people do...So I think you should move your ass off to Sadar City in Iraq. Or maybe we can sling you back to Taliban ruled Afganistan?

You are an Idiot.....thats the final time ill say it. So the Men who died for your freedom... they mean nothing to you, the men who died in Prinoner OF war camps years after the war, mean nothing to you? Men who died because of the effects of war years after mean nothing? And the men who fought and lived through hell on earth to keep you in a nice heated room where you can take for granted what they had put themselves through and their family trhough.

You can Dissagree with Afganistan, Iraq the Golf war.....You have no right or ligt way to argue World War 2 need never of happend. The fact that you know nothing about this war and how it worked and what the people at the time went through means you need to find a veterran and sit down and talk to him about what he saw, what was happening in the world at the time.

A source of National shame that we Murderd other humans? Interesting, Because we stopped the murder of many more Humans, British, Russian, Chec, Polish, Jewish, Hungaring, Slovak. Sometimes its nessasary for war. There is a time for war, That was Surely a time.

Read your history books, talk to some veterans, youll see WW2 was no sleezy exuse to kill others.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Amen Eastside!!!

You were more blunt then I but exact and to the REAL points!!

Damn it's upsetting to have people use the freedoms they have to bash the people who protected them!!!