Postal workers refuse to deliver 'anti-gay' mail

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
Canada Post plans to go ahead with the delivery of controversial booklets this week, despite protests from Vancouver postal workers who refused to distribute mail they called "homophobic."

More...

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
Good for the Postal Workers.

I think it is disgusting that Canadian Post has accepted the job.

Again this is one of these issues that require clearer laws that spell out that hate mail will not be tolerate.

I think it is okay if this church wants to believe these beliefs, and keep it in their church, but to distribute flyers to all homes is invasive.

And that is completely wrong.

Canadian Post should take a stand and refuse the work, it might end up in court, but that is infinately better than to be left to individuals who have families to support.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
As long as the phamplets are not considered hate material, they have to deliver them, regardless of it offending them.

Canada post "employees" can't selectively choose which mail it will deliver. There job is to deliver mail, not cast judgement on what is acceptable.

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
Good for the Postal Workers.

I think it is disgusting that Canadian Post has accepted the job.

Again this is one of these issues that require clearer laws that spell out that hate mail will not be tolerate.

I think it is okay if this church wants to believe these beliefs, and keep it in their church, but to distribute flyers to all homes is invasive.

And that is completely wrong.

Canadian Post should take a stand and refuse the work, it might end up in court, but that is infinately better than to be left to individuals who have families to support.

"Homophobic" material is not hate material. If the postal workers refuse to deliver it, they should be fired. If I refuse to do my job, I would be, and probably you, too.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm a believer in free speech, regardless of how offensive it is. I might not like the message or the medium but I respect their right to say or write it.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
I am a postie. It's our job to deliver. If it was left up to me I would never deliver another wal-mart flyer,but you take the man's money,you do the man's bidding.We had a householder delivery for a company that was obviously a scam,we protested but still had to deliver it.The postie union is very left-wing and I am sure this latest walk-out is just a way of showing thier solidarity with the "progressive" people of Canada.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Nice to see ya Wally, as always a voice of reason. I also hate Walmart flyers, burn them I say burn them. Wait are they on recycled paper? Wally do I smell an agenda perhaps?

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
I believe anti-gay mail is hate mail. Would everyone be okay if they were to deliver anit-jewish mail? Of course not, because it's hate mail. I'm not gay, but I don’t want anti-anything delivered to me.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I believe anti-gay mail is hate mail. Would everyone be okay if they were to deliver anit-jewish mail? Of course not, because it's hate mail. I'm not gay, but I don’t want anti-anything delivered to me.

This is a freedom of speech issue rather a religious one. Bible Thumpers are stating how they feel, which they are allowed to do. If you are so offended by the possibility of recieving something in the mail which doesn't mesh with your beliefs, I suggest you build your self a underwater fort and deprive your self of oxygen.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
This is a freedom of speech issue rather a religious one. Bible Thumpers are stating how they feel, which they are allowed to do. If you are so offended by the possibility of recieving something in the mail which doesn't mesh with your beliefs, I suggest you build your self a underwater fort and deprive your self of oxygen.

Jeeez Burka-Burka, you seem to get right pissed when people don't agree with you. The man has a right to say what he doesn't like.

Your'e yelling freedom of speech, then telling him to shut up.

Bad Burka-Burka

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
If the laws of the land don't call it Hate then it's not for a postal worker to decide.

You can have an opinion one way or another but that should not prevent you from doing your job. If I have a moral problem with my work, I can bring it up..if nothing is do I either shuddup and do it or I leave and find a new job.

Opinions are not alway fact. A leeter calling for Marriage to be between a man and a women is not Homophobic no matter the twist put on it. A pro choice letter sent to homes is not a "Kill babies" hate mail. It's an opinion.

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
I think the Gay Rights Activists ---there is such a group isn't there, l am not gay so l don't know---should take it up as a constitutional argument. l bet they would win.

I appreciated hearing the comment about the anti-jewish hate mail not being allowed, l know this isn't a racial slurr, but it is significant in that Canada has made a big deal about it's equal rights to gays, and the marriages etc.

For this reason alone, the Gay Community can see a court injunction and win a precident setting case that will elimate such garbage coming to our doors.

If l get this mail l am going to complain to my MP about hate mail and l might write to the newspaper.

If we tolerate hate, and discrimination, that is what our country will fill up will. If we just roll over and do nothing then we are as guilty of hate as those who send it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I think the Gay Rights Activists ---there is such a group isn't there, l am not gay so l don't know---should take it up as a constitutional argument. l bet they would win.

I appreciated hearing the comment about the anti-jewish hate mail not being allowed, l know this isn't a racial slurr, but it is significant in that Canada has made a big deal about it's equal rights to gays, and the marriages etc.

For this reason alone, the Gay Community can see a court injunction and win a precident setting case that will elimate such garbage coming to our doors.

If l get this mail l am going to complain to my MP about hate mail and l might write to the newspaper.

If we tolerate hate, and discrimination, that is what our country will fill up will. If we just roll over and do nothing then we are as guilty of hate as those who send it.

Ah, perhaps you should actually SEE the document in question before you censor it and denounce the writers as hate-mongerers?

My God, if people like this ever gain power there will be NO liberty.......

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I also find the material printed against gays offensive, but the Holy Rollers have to the right to practice freedom of Religion. It's in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, it we take this fundamental right from the Fundies who's next? Me, you- the politically correct crowd has gagged free speech half to death I'm not going down without a fight.

Northstar when I get leaflets that I find offensive in the mail, I buy a purdy envelope and type a short message as to why I find the leaflet offensive and then I mail it Special Delivery COD. I don't post a return address, so the Fundies are out 6/10 dollars paying for the pleasure of reading what I think of their literature. Sometimes it's the little things that mean the most.

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
What are you saying Coldpee, that you think hate mongers should have liberties that allow them to discriminate???

I believe that is against our human rights and freedoms, we have laws to protect ohters from slander and defimation of character, as well as laws against discrimination based on gender, race etc.

Do you think that hate mongers that our imposing their views on us have more rights than those that they are targeting.

Instead of just rudely replying in such a derogory manner, why don't you contribute with some clarity.

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
Ohhhh, now that is a great idea, SASSYLASSIE. And good points too, it isn't our fight anyway, nor the postal workers with families to feed, nor the post office, that can't discriminate...

I was just pointing out that the gay community could take it up with the courts, and the way this country is going with the word 'freedom', they would probably win a constitutional point.

Last edited:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
I find gay parades offensive. Doesn't mean I can stop them or have the right to. The sight of half dressed, semi-nude, almost nude, approximately nude, close to nude and other folk traipsing down a street and basically giving local community standards the finger is now a growing fixture in larger Canadian centres. If this is acceptable then I don't see a thing wrong with a bunch of bellyaching bible thumpers expressing their views. Time to wake up! If we are going to hell in a handbasket I want everyone there for the ride.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What are you saying Coldpee, that you think hate mongers should have liberties that allow them to discriminate???

I believe that is against our human rights and freedoms, we have laws to protect ohters from slander and defimation of character, as well as laws against discrimination based on gender, race etc.

Do you think that hate mongers that our imposing their views on us have more rights than those that they are targeting.

Instead of just rudely replying in such a derogory manner, why don't you contribute with some clarity.

I thought I was quite clear.

You want this stuff censored, or at least the distribution of it stopped (which amounts to the same thing).

Have you SEEN it?

I didn't think so.

So, only people that agree with you are allowed to spread their views, right?

Like I said, if people like you get into power, we will have no liberty..........

BTW, who exactly is imposing their views on you?

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
It's funny how righteous the left really is...almost like err..A HIDDEN AGENDA... but scarier since they are so sure that all will agree..They are so completely right you know....