Judge strikes down part of Anti-Terrorism Act

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
A superior court judge has struck down a portion of the Anti-Terrorism Act which defines terrorism, saying it's in violation of the Charter of Rights.

More...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Good.

Let's dump the whole bloody, unnecessary, undemocratic act.

Either charge 'em with treason, or chuck 'em out of the country.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
but we don't chuk em out since the second they are on Canadian soil..they have Canadian rights!!

I agree that the terrorism laws go to far..The U.S. has put laws in place that really go against my grain as they are suppose to be the free world leader..seems they are slowly going towards police state status.

We need a way to just trurf someone out the min he/she arrives if we have reason to believe they are undesireable

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Ottawabill

How can you tell that a man or a woman for whatever reason may at some point join an organization and be overwhelmed by some line of propaganda and eventually be involved in a violent conflict involving that circumstance or event?

Should we start by having all the black ones line-up in that line then have all the yellow ones line up in that line and so on so we can keep the records accurate?

Why bother with all this and simply close the doors and draw the blinds and turn up the hockey game!

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
As the Charter of Rights has caused this country untold problems, let's just get rid of it..somehow we all got along fairly well before it.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
This is good news, I like to see those accused of Terrorism get a fair trial. Canadian Police forces have a dismal record of arresting and convicting innocent people for murder.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
I agree Sassy

Are you thinking of Stephen Truscott or do you have somone else in mind?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Donald Marshall Jr, a native Nova Scotian innocent but spent years in prison for a murder he didn't commit. There was also the fellow in Manitoba--David Milgard, he was also innocent and I'd go as far as saying the police framed him.

Mike if you want to read a book that details the life of a non-violent petty criminal read Go Boy by Rodger Caron, he spent most of his life in prison. He was a youth when he first went to prison and with each release he would commit petty robberies and be sent back to jail. After writing his book he managed to stay out of jail, but I heard on the news a few years ago that he was arrested for holding up a Zellers store in Ontario. It appears he has MS and he couldn't function outside of prison with this desease, sooooooooo sad. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand what "Prison" is really like, it's a great read.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
These anti-terrorism laws are blank cheques for taking away the rights of anyone. Way too much unaccountable power. If we accept the notion that our government can do this it's an admission that the terrorists have won. I'd much rather take one on the chin every now and then from terrorists than throw the principles of our society out the window. Our brave service men and women have fought and died for our principles. Principles that respect fundamental legal rights, and people are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If this is no longer the case we might as well stomp on the graves of anyone who ever fought and died for us. Are we just a bunch of chicken***ts? We're prepared to give up our personal rights and the rights of our family members and neighbours just to reduce the chance of us getting knocked off by a terrorist in odds that are still and will always be in the arena of the 6/49?

So many talk tough on the war on terror and don't give a damn about bombing out children in some obscure region of the planet, but afraid they could be, by incredibly rediculous odds, hurt by terrorists they are willing to f up the lives of other innocent people. I find the whole damn thing appalling.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
but we don't chuk em out since the second they are on Canadian soil..they have Canadian rights!!

I agree that the terrorism laws go to far..The U.S. has put laws in place that really go against my grain as they are suppose to be the free world leader..seems they are slowly going towards police state status.

We need a way to just trurf someone out the min he/she arrives if we have reason to believe they are undesireable
The biggest problem with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, IMHO. That Notwithstanding cluase sure would do wonders on the removing the ablity to use our system against us.

These laws are scary, does anyone actually think they are neccessary?