Today's Kids are going to be Wimpiest Gen ever

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
As if todays kids aren't fat enough, lets ban further physical exercise at the schools. Heaven forbid some one might get a scrape, or even worse might be "IT"! What a sack of wussies...

ATTLEBORO, Massachusetts (AP) -- Tag, you're out!Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous. (Watch how second-grader Kelsey interpreted the rule -- 1:30)Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports."I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/18/no.tag.ap/index.html

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
My sisters coddled their children and what a bunch of babies. Some are in their mid-twenties now and they are still sniveling whiners, they had everything handed to them on a silver platter. No part time jobs, no summer jobs because my sisters believed they should stay children as long as possible, well it worked out of seven only one is employed and living on his own. The rest are still home with Momsey, I don't think they'll ever leave.

I survived child hood being chased by bulls, being hit by dried cow paddies, playing tag, roller skating without a helmet, driving a bike without a helmet, riding a horse bareback with out a helmet. What harm can playing tag cause a child, more political correctness. Most 12 year olds are bigger than I am and I don't mean in height but body weight. Children are getting heavier and heavier by the year, now is the time to get them back into outdoor activity before it's to late and obesity has set in.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I blame the anti fur, hunting and fishing people myself. Hunting on cold fall mornings, fishing the early winter streams for Steelies. Now that's where kids get som character building.

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
We are on the way to a generation that plays all sports on a TV or computer screen. If you ask a kid if he plays football or hockey these days they will want to know if you mean on a gameboy or the real thing.They will end up spending all thier time in front of a computer,hey,just like we are doing. Children learn from thier peers. Maybe we should all tear ourselves away and go out and do something. Myself.I am out of here in about 5 minutes to go throw some darts around. Now there's a real sport. Real steel,sharpened points,beer,no nylon tips or spritzers for this he-man.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Well, the kiddies better get a life if they think they can biggie-size, become couch pumpkins and then try to butt in line ahead of geezers in the medical queue in ten years. Granted, a lot of kids physically are monsters but that shouldn't make us forget to impose on them a little self-responsibility for their condition. If things continue as they are we'll need to reassess our longevity tables!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
learning to kill builds character?

i think not.

It runs a little deeper than that, CK.

One of the things we seem to be missing in this society of Forever Adolescence is a rite of passage from childhood into the practices of adults......when I was a kid, the passage was hunting. First you were allowed a .22 or shotgun for rabbits and grouse at 14 while accompanied by an adult, on your own at 16, ...........then the rifle for deer or bear at 18......

Being allowed weapons is a great responsibility, and is recognized as such by anyone with an IQ higher than their hat size......and most kids qualify. Responsibility needs to be taught..........and demonstrated.

Moreover, time in the forest is good for the soul, and hunting allows one to take part in nature.....not simply be an observer.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh yeah......

Everybody knows what the first, and surest sign of middle age is, eh?

When you STOP criticising the older generation, and START criticising the younger generation.

GUESS WHAT?

:)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It runs a little deeper than that, CK.

One of the things we seem to be missing in this society of Forever Adolescence is a rite of passage from childhood into the practices of adults......when I was a kid, the passage was hunting. First you were allowed a .22 or shotgun for rabbits and grouse at 14 while accompanied by an adult, on your own at 16, ...........then the rifle for deer or bear at 18......

Being allowed weapons is a great responsibility, and is recognized as such by anyone with an IQ higher than their hat size......and most kids qualify. Responsibility needs to be taught..........and demonstrated.

Moreover, time in the forest is good for the soul, and hunting allows one to take part in nature.....not simply be an observer.

That is great, for the 6 percent of Canadians who want to go hunting. Most of our population are in an urban setting where hunting is not an option. Hunting is a very exclusive hobby for a very small percentage of the population. Can you imagine giving Toronto fourteen year olds rifles? If one lives in an area where game is plentiful, and the meat is needed to suppliment the budget, I suppose hunting is acceptable, but shooting animals as a hobby is becoming harder to justify. When I was growing up, up north, my family put a moose in the freezer every year, but that was many years ago. Maybe we should raise moose for the table, like we do cattle.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Colpy wrote: One of the things we seem to be missing in this society of Forever Adolescence is a rite of passage from childhood into the practices of adults......when I was a kid, the passage was hunting. First you were allowed a .22 or shotgun for rabbits and grouse at 14 while accompanied by an adult, on your own at 16, ...........then the rifle for deer or bear at 18......

I agree Colpy, but as Juan pointed out only a small percentage of us were raised in "Hunting" families. I think my generation spent so much time and money giving their children everything "The Parent" didn't have that the children never developed work ethic and they appear to believe they are entitled to what they want instead of working for it. I grew up on a working farm and we children were the work force, starting at age five I would pick apples from 5 am until the school bus came. I've dug potatoes, de-beaked chickens, the list is endless. It didn't kill me, but it did teach me the value of work ethic and money. None of my neices or nephews had part time jobs, or worked during summer vacation, my brothers and sisters were adament their children would not have to work as they did. Upon leaving post secondary Education they don't seem to want to work. Excuses regarding the rate of pay being unexceptable, complaints about having to get up at 6am to go to work, never reasons just excuses. Whine, whine whine, never ending whining.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
For every lazy young person I know, I also know several hard workers. There will be losers in every generation unfortunately.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
There are plenty of losers in the present younger generation and some magnificent winners too. But if the anecdotal has it right, there are far more losers today. Far more young people reach the end of high school without work experience than did 30 years ago. Everyone I grew up with in the sixties worked in the summer. I started when I was 12. That's just the way it was. You worked and you had your own money. You didn't depend on mooching from your parents. You grew up more quickly and hopefully with some semblance of self-dependence and personal autonomy. We could use more of that.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Colpy wrote: One of the things we seem to be missing in this society of Forever Adolescence is a rite of passage from childhood into the practices of adults......when I was a kid, the passage was hunting. First you were allowed a .22 or shotgun for rabbits and grouse at 14 while accompanied by an adult, on your own at 16, ...........then the rifle for deer or bear at 18......

I agree Colpy, but as Juan pointed out only a small percentage of us were raised in "Hunting" families. I think my generation spent so much time and money giving their children everything "The Parent" didn't have that the children never developed work ethic and they appear to believe they are entitled to what they want instead of working for it. I grew up on a working farm and we children were the work force, starting at age five I would pick apples from 5 am until the school bus came. I've dug potatoes, de-beaked chickens, the list is endless. It didn't kill me, but it did teach me the value of work ethic and money. None of my neices or nephews had part time jobs, or worked during summer vacation, my brothers and sisters were adament their children would not have to work as they did. Upon leaving post secondary Education they don't seem to want to work. Excuses regarding the rate of pay being unexceptable, complaints about having to get up at 6am to go to work, never reasons just excuses. Whine, whine whine, never ending whining.

Oh Sassy I do love you !!!!

Absolutely to everything you wrote!!! I live in the country, my kids have chores..REAL CHORES!! yep they complain and sometimes talk about kids they know who do nadda, but you know my kids will be health and know there place in the world...They will not need to be entertained constantly to be happy. The go to church and have duties there as well. They will understand that a society is a clooection of people and who they act.

Yep we all seem to have become scared of our own shadow...kids can't throw a snowball at school yipes. They tear down playgrounds because they pose a danger..Hell live poses a danger!! My Son has a bow.... is it dangerous..yes!! why does he have it then? Because it's a good skill to have and he knows he must be reponsible with it or he will lose it!

We've all gone to hell hehehe

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I agree with Bear and Colpy, and although I grew up in Texas, I'm sure the rites of passage to adulthood and responsibility bear striking similarities.

No one born after 1980 has known life without cable televsion. At least in the U.S. anyways...

My wife watches Laguna Beach on MTV...for anyone who hasnt seen it, it is about the perpetual teen angst that supposedly afflicts on "cool" teenagers. It makes me want to upchuck. I can honestly say that in high school, I never had the ego/self-image/peer relationship issues/parental conflict/...etc etc that these kids have.

I'm just ranting blindly i guess...I think the days when , if you had a disagreement with someone at school, you two just fought it out are over. Shooting everyone in sight at the nearest school now seems to be the flavor of the month for settling disputes and addressing perceived wrongs.

I too, blame the secularists and "love-everyone" crowds for the way society is. Instead of just giving kids some boxing gloves and letting them duke it out for 3 three minute rounds like my high school did, lets just shove a bottle of ritalin up their ass, tell them to turn the other cheek, and then lock the handles down on the pressure cooker, and wait for the inevitable...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I agree with Bear and Colpy, and although I grew up in Texas, I'm sure the rites of passage to adulthood and responsibility bear striking similarities.

No one born after 1980 has known life without cable televsion. At least in the U.S. anyways...

My wife watches Laguna Beach on MTV...for anyone who hasnt seen it, it is about the perpetual teen angst that supposedly afflicts on "cool" teenagers. It makes me want to upchuck. I can honestly say that in high school, I never had the ego/self-image/peer relationship issues/parental conflict/...etc etc that these kids have.

I'm just ranting blindly i guess...I think the days when , if you had a disagreement with someone at school, you two just fought it out are over. Shooting everyone in sight at the nearest school now seems to be the flavor of the month for settling disputes and addressing perceived wrongs.

I too, blame the secularists and "love-everyone" crowds for the way society is. Instead of just giving kids some boxing gloves and letting them duke it out for 3 three minute rounds like my high school did, lets just shove a bottle of ritalin up their ass, tell them to turn the other cheek, and then lock the handles down on the pressure cooker, and wait for the inevitable...

There's a lot in what you say thomaska.
I never had the ego/self-image/peer relationship issues/parental conflict/...etc etc that these kids have.

When was growing up I had conflicts with my parents, but the program was, "Do as you are told and then we will talk about it". If I had talked to my parents the way some of the TV kids do, I might not have survived. The thing is, I never felt hard done by, or abused.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thinking back to my very first job when I was still in high schoool.....

.... I worked on the playgrounds during the summer months and then in community centers through the winter and almost all of the activities we had in our sessions for gym play and exercise workouts are now
removed as too dangerous....unless one is in a private setting with parents' liability consent.

The governments have created such an anxiety driven population we are all going to be raising kids with ulcers who are afraid to leave their home without a parent guardian or become drug/alcohol users to gain
the courage they need to have some freedom in their lives.

Sitting at a computer is not the way to grow a healthy nation.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Siting at a computer or or constantly on video games can develop all thoses needed skills so when you are ready to snap after being Bullied while doing nothing in the playground you will be able to hit all those targets in the school cafeteria....

We are all going to die..what is so wrong with living until then?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
When I was going to public/high school there were computers, they were a tool then, not an entertainment device which they are now.

The internet has made it much too easy for kids to take the lazy route with things... do your school research on the net instead of the library, instant message people instead of talking to them or seeing them and so on. Destroy the internet!!!

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
When I was going to public/high school there were computers, they were a tool then, not an entertainment device which they are now.

The internet has made it much too easy for kids to take the lazy route with things... do your school research on the net instead of the library, instant message people instead of talking to them or seeing them and so on. Destroy the internet!!!

Lol...after years of fighting the good fight, I finally got a cell phone two years ago..in addition to the very short electronic leash it puts on you, I have also discovered the joy of fighting with the wife via text-message. No more going to work to cool down and think about what a tool I'm being, now we can fight all day long non-stop!