World must do more for 'desperate' Sudan: Harper

CTV News

Executive Branch Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.ctv.ca
The world must do more to help the "desperate" people of war-ravaged Sudan, Prime Minister Stephen Harper told the 11th summit of the Francophonie on Thursday.

More...

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
This one's an easy one. We know who is oppressing, terrifying, raping and killing these people. Send in crack troops with one order only: Kill as many of the abusers as possible.
This one has been going on way too long. Tolerance, the need to observe international protocol, hang your head in shame!

Last edited:

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
Quote: "Sudan President Omar El Bashir recently rejected a UN proposal to deploy a UN peacekeeping mission in Darfur, calling the offer "imperialistic."

Based just on this one quote, I would tell Sudan to go to hell.

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
Quote: "Sudan President Omar El Bashir recently rejected a UN proposal to deploy a UN peacekeeping mission in Darfur, calling the offer "imperialistic."

Based just on this one quote, I would tell Sudan to go to hell.

Based on what the President of a country with no control says? He calls anything that the UN does "imperialistic". His views do not reflect those of the millions of people who have no homes and of the other hundreds of thousands of people who have already lost their lives in Sudan. Maybe we should ask all those people if they want foreign intervention?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Just so I'm clear here, it's a good idea to send Troops to Darfur, to help straighten the country out, but the consensus says we shouldn't do the same thing in Afganistan?

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
Based on what the President of a country with no control says? He calls anything that the UN does "imperialistic". His views do not reflect those of the millions of people who have no homes and of the other hundreds of thousands of people who have already lost their lives in Sudan. Maybe we should ask all those people if they want foreign intervention?

In other words you are promoting something similar to what the Yankees have done in Iraq?? Look at the mess there.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
? wumpy

Just so I'm clear here, it's a good idea to send Troops to Darfur, to help straighten the country out, but the consensus says we shouldn't do the same thing in Afganistan?

That's right, because the US isn't there already, so we won't be seen to be doing the US' bidding.

Now, if this was an idea out of the US, it would be WRONG.

yballa09

Electoral Member
Sep 8, 2005
Rexburg, Idaho
In other words you are promoting something similar to what the Yankees have done in Iraq?? Look at the mess there.

so you're all for sitting idly by as hundreds of thousands more peope are innocently killed? I find the situation to be a lot different than Iraq.

Last edited:

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Of COURSE, it's different to Iraq.. Unfortunately for Darfur, it is NOT the area with oil.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's right, because the US isn't there already, so we won't be seen to be doing the US' bidding.

Now, if this was an idea out of the US, it would be WRONG.

You are kidding? Right?

That's your reason for not supporting our actions in Afganistan? The American's started it?

Oh please say this isn't so!!!

Hotshot

Electoral Member
May 31, 2006
so you're all for sitting idly by as hundreds of thousands more peope are innocently killed? I find the situation to be a lot different than Iraq.

Not entirely different: Iraq was ruled by a butcher as his current trial is showing.
The problem there was that the invasion was based on a lie. The US are not world police, so Hussien's capture was illegal. If someone steps into the Sudan, it would be illegal, too. It is not up to any one country or organization to determine if the government in any particular country is running the country in a civil or democratic fashion.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Using that logic, if Hitler hadn't been an expansionist but had still insisted on death camps for Jews inside territorial Germany it wouldn't have been the world's responsibility to step in and stop it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

I agree with you CDNBear 100%.The left wing fanatics will lead you to believe that the only "problems" in the world are the one's the UN declares ( usually after the point of fixing).

Dafur is a horrible, tragic mess. which the UN can take blame for due to their inaction and ignorance.

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
Just remember , this will not be a peacekeeping mission by any stretch. Since the Sudanesse government opposes UN forces in the country it would mean outright war.