british columbia news
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Malik says he'll answer questions at Air India inquiry
Ripudaman Singh Malik wants to expand his religious schools in Surrey, B.C. (CBC.ca image)
(CBC) - One of the men acquitted in the Air India bombing trial says he'll gladly answer all questions if he's called to testify at the public inquiry into the disaster.
Ripudaman Singh Malik was at city hall in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, looking for permits to expand his Khalsa school for Sikh boys and girls.
Asked about the possibility he might be called to appear at an inquiry into the 1985 bombing of Air India Flight 182, he said: "Of course … if I'm called, then I'll answer all the questions."
Malik was acquitted last year, along with Ajaib Singh Bagri, on all charges related to the bombing.
Canada's worst case of mass murder, the bombing killed all 329 people on board Air India Flight 182. Two baggage handlers at Tokyo's Narita Airport died in another connected bombing.
Inderjit Singh Reyat is the only person convicted in the attacks. He was sentenced to five years in prison in 2003 for manslaughter and assisting in the construction of the bomb.
Last week, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced a full public inquiry into the investigation of the disaster.
Calls for an inquiry became louder after Malik and Bagri were set free in March 2005 after a lengthy trial when the judge ruled the Crown's case was weak.
What a farce! Inderjit Singh Reyat was convicted of building the bomb for Malik, but Malik was aquitted of all charges.