Freedom Tower Construction Begins

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
World Trade Center rebuild clears final hurdle
Port Authority reaches agreement with developer for Freedom Tower

NEW YORK - The rebuilding of New York’s World Trade Center cleared its last major hurdle on Wednesday, setting up construction of the Freedom Tower and other high rises where the mighty Twin Towers once stood.

The landowner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, approved the deal that developer Larry Silverstein had agreed to on Tuesday, ending four years of often acrimonious debate over what to do with the site destroyed by the Sept. 11 attacks.

Construction on the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, the tallest and most symbolic of the buildings on the site, could begin within a few days of board approval, officials have said. It should be completed by 2011.

Three other new office buildings and a residential tower will eventually surround a memorial, museum and cultural center dedicated to what relatives of the Sept. 11 victims consider a sacred site.

Controversy dogs project
The project has been a source of contention since the immediate aftermath of the suicide hijacking attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

The architectural master plan and memorial have sparked often emotional debate, although the more recent battle had more to do with dividing the billions of dollars at stake.

The Port Authority board unanimously approved a “conceptual framework” calling for Silverstein to build the Freedom Tower, but hand it over to the authority once it is completed.

Silverstein will build and keep three other office towers on the site, and the Port Authority will take over a damaged bank building on a neighboring parcel that will be rebuilt for residential use.

The two sides also agreed to a 62/38 split in Silverstein’s favor over the two main sources of funding for the project: the $3.4 billion in tax-exempt Liberty Bonds and Silverstein’s $4.6 billion in insurance proceeds.

Separate New York state and city agencies will be responsible for releasing $1.7 billion each in the Liberty Bonds, a low-cost form of financing created to rebuild Lower Manhattan.

Agency agrees to reduce rent
The Port Authority also agreed to reduce the rent in Silverstein’s 99-year lease, which he signed two months before the attacks.

Silverstein has already built 7 World Trade Center, a tower on the site of a building that collapsed on Sept. 11.

A source familiar with the issues said Port Authority approval became possible thanks to some last-minute tinkering after Silverstein announced on Tuesday that he had accepted what the Port Authority called its final offer.

One assurance granted Silverstein capped his liability for infrastructure costs at $140 million, the source said.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
RE: Freedom Tower Constru

With all due respect to those who were lost and those who lost a loved one in the tragedy of 9/11, may I just say that that is the biggest phallic symbol I have ever seen in my life.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I am happy to see progress on developing the property being made!

I think that the completion of the Freedom Tower, as it has been so referred to, is going to be a major day for the United States of America (and indeed, for its friends and the entirety of the Western and free worlds). I think that its completion is going to be sort of "symbolic", if you will, of the victory of the United States over the terrorists who had so threatened, and continue to threaten, their very existence.

¹ I think that the construction and completion of the Freedom Tower is going to signify that the terrorists' efforts to break the spirits of our American friends to the South were in vain; its completion would be proof that the United States has continued on with a strong resolve — and that it takes more than terrorism to² destroy the spirit of a free nation.

Hear, hear.

:!: Revisions : (1) Added a paragraph. (2) Corrected a typing error.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
I think not said:
World Trade Center rebuild clears final hurdle
Port Authority reaches agreement with developer for Freedom Tower

NEW YORK - The rebuilding of New York’s World Trade Center cleared its last major hurdle on Wednesday, setting up construction of the Freedom Tower and other high rises where the mighty Twin Towers once stood.

The landowner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, approved the deal that developer Larry Silverstein had agreed to on Tuesday, ending four years of often acrimonious debate over what to do with the site destroyed by the Sept. 11 attacks.

Construction on the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, the tallest and most symbolic of the buildings on the site, could begin within a few days of board approval, officials have said. It should be completed by 2011.

Three other new office buildings and a residential tower will eventually surround a memorial, museum and cultural center dedicated to what relatives of the Sept. 11 victims consider a sacred site.

Controversy dogs project
The project has been a source of contention since the immediate aftermath of the suicide hijacking attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

The architectural master plan and memorial have sparked often emotional debate, although the more recent battle had more to do with dividing the billions of dollars at stake.

The Port Authority board unanimously approved a “conceptual framework” calling for Silverstein to build the Freedom Tower, but hand it over to the authority once it is completed.

Silverstein will build and keep three other office towers on the site, and the Port Authority will take over a damaged bank building on a neighboring parcel that will be rebuilt for residential use.

The two sides also agreed to a 62/38 split in Silverstein’s favor over the two main sources of funding for the project: the $3.4 billion in tax-exempt Liberty Bonds and Silverstein’s $4.6 billion in insurance proceeds.

Separate New York state and city agencies will be responsible for releasing $1.7 billion each in the Liberty Bonds, a low-cost form of financing created to rebuild Lower Manhattan.

Agency agrees to reduce rent
The Port Authority also agreed to reduce the rent in Silverstein’s 99-year lease, which he signed two months before the attacks.

Silverstein has already built 7 World Trade Center, a tower on the site of a building that collapsed on Sept. 11.

A source familiar with the issues said Port Authority approval became possible thanks to some last-minute tinkering after Silverstein announced on Tuesday that he had accepted what the Port Authority called its final offer.

One assurance granted Silverstein capped his liability for infrastructure costs at $140 million, the source said.
Thanks for posting this, it's good to see this project getting started. Hopefully when it's completed it will start the process of healing the wounds of 9/11.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
They should have just rebuilt the towers bigger and better than before to say, "Screw you" to the terrorists.

I get so tired of the over use of the word 'freedom' in the US as if this was the only free country in the world.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

I think thecdn has hit the nail on the head there, and I think thats what most other countries get a bit annoyed about, but the problem so I see it is that this is just gonna stand out even more, and become and even BIGGER target for suicide bombers.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
To cdn and Daz, I'll repeat, if you want to stop hearing about the Yanks and their "freedom", turn off American television. It's really that simple.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

how would that work then ITN?......American tv is all we get in canada and the uk

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: RE: Freedom Tower Construction Begins

thecdn said:
They should have just rebuilt the towers bigger and better than before to say, "Screw you" to the terrorists.

I get so tired of the over use of the word 'freedom' in the US as if this was the only free country in the world.
The name "Freedom Tower" is fitting in everyway. It's a shame you can't see that.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
It's the Tower of Babel metaphor.

It's Hegel all over again.

Out of the ashes rises a THESIS, a new tower.

Inevitably a rebel Anti-Thesis appears, to tear down
this Thesis, this tower.

This clash may bring a new Synthesis between the
forces of Taoistic opposites.

The forces of expansion and contraction, the
forces of right and wrong, the forces of vitality
and atrophy are inextricably linked on a more
emtional, metaphysical level, like incestuous cousins.

Success breeds contempt.

And those who live by contempt are hypocrites,
because they forgive themselves for how far short
they fall in any job or endeavor, but hold a standard
for others they themselves don't meet.

So have contempt for a new tower.

Bless the builders of this world.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca

Johnny Utah said:
thecdn said:

The name "Freedom Tower" is fitting in everyway. It's a shame you can't see that.

the term "freedom tower" is bordering on asinine.

freedom indeed! americans are not free, not in the least.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

freedom for who exactly?....now dont get me started, but that happened a long time ago, lots of things have changed, the freedom the US is talking about today could justly be used for canada or the UK, but I just think that theyre giving the muslim extremists (who I might add are actually linked to the nazi's) target to aim at.

I just think it's time for a new radical pr promo for the us.....something new

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Any name gets a beating, Daz_Hockey.

We got sports stadiums named after a sponsor.
The Fedex Stadium. And then if another company
buys it out, it's called the UPS stadium.

Glad the damn tower wasn't named after a company.

Freedom tower, the name, does have SOME pretension,
but overall, it is still worthy because of the fire and
ashes it will grow from.

My wish was to name it the PHOENIX.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
I think not said:
To cdn and Daz, I'll repeat, if you want to stop hearing about the Yanks and their "freedom", turn off American television. It's really that simple.

Check out my location - North Lauderdale, FL. So I'm supposed to throw out my tv's and cancel my newspaper so I stop hearing Americans use the word freedom in every sentence?

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL

Johnny Utah said:

Fitting for what? Bush's over the top rhetoric and the american fetish for the word freedom? Is seeing the flag supposed to melt my cold heart?

Sorry, there could have been many more appropriate names for this tower.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Likewise there could have been a lot more worse
names for that tower.

Personally, better than the name PHOENIX,
I think I would have subscribed for a name that
simply said "F.U."

Named after the Odd Couple that played in New York.

Felix Unger Tower.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
thecdn said:
I think not said:

Check out my location - North Lauderdale, FL. So I'm supposed to throw out my tv's and cancel my newspaper so I stop hearing Americans use the word freedom in every sentence?

if you hate it so much why dont you leave and go back where you came from?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Aren't we getting sort of off-topic here, folks?

:arrow: Re: Freedom Tower Construction Begins

The start of the construction of this tower, whatever the name, is going to be a victory, of sorts, in terms of the efforts-to-date of the United States of America in combatting terrorism — while the name "Freedom Tower" is perhaps somewhat uncreative, it serves the purpose and conveys the type of message that the parties involved would like to express.