Breaking News:4 Canadian Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

4 Canadian Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan
Last Updated Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:27:10 EDT
CBC News
Excerpt:
Four Canadian soldiers have been killed in a roadside bomb explosion in southern Afghanistan, the Department of National Defence has confirmed.

The four were travelling in an armoured jeep called a G-wagon when it struck an improvised explosive device, 70 kilometres north of Kandahar city, around 7:30 a.m. local time Saturday.

Three of the men died at the scene, near Gumbad, a small outpost established by the Canadians two months ago. The fourth died en route to the hospital at the coalition air base in Kandahar.

The defence department has identified three of the Canadians:

* Cpl. Matthew Dinning, born in Richmond Hill, Ont., and stationed at Petawawa, Ont.
* Bombardier Myles Mansell, born in Victoria and stationed at Victoria, B.C.
* Lieut. William Turner, born in Toronto and stationed at Edmonton.

The identity of the fourth soldier is being withheld at the request of his family.

The four soldiers were all in the same jeep, which was part of a mixed convoy made up of more heavily armoured vehicles, such as LAVs and Bisons.

"It's a sad day for Task Force Aegis and the coalition," said Brig-Gen. David Fraser, commander of the forces in Kandahar. "Those soldiers were conducting operations to enhance the security of the Shah Wali Kot [district].

"They were doing outstanding work, having positive effects. I had actually been in the area yesterday myself, talking with the local leaders [who] indicated that security has improved since we've arrived in the area."

Canada has 2,300 soldiers in southern Afghanistan and took command in February of a multinational force fighting Taliban and al-Qaeda members.

Taliban militants have been stepping up attacks in recent weeks against coalition and Afghan forces across southern Afghanistan, a former Taliban stronghold.

Sixteen Canadians, including a senior diplomat, have been killed in Afghanistan since 2002.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/04/22/afghanistan-deaths060422.html

A very sad day for the Canadian Military, the families of the fallen and for Canada as a whole. Canada will continue it's Mission in Afghanistan, these deaths as the deaths before were not in vain. God Bless Them RIP.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
It's sad whenever we lose troops. However we should learn from this and if the deaths could have been prevented by simply having our troops ride in area's where there could be land mines our attacks in armored personal carriers. Of course perhaps this loss could not have been prevented. Either way I still think we need a stronger mission statement and objectives in the Islamic republic

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Breaking News:4 Canad

Thier death was a senceless waste, for a mission that has no chance, all in the service of the privilaged class.
Prayers and condolance to the loved ones are empty and hollow, maudlin sentiment that can never replace or pay for the loss. However the prayers and righteousness always makes it easier to send the next lot to thier death.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
darkbeaver; Well I think the mission to the Islamic Republic is somewhat misguided right now, how many lives has the Canadian presance in the Republic achieved. Even though the current government leaves a bad taste in my mouth the last government was much worse and keeping those basterds out of power makes a mission in Afghanistan worth it. It's the planning behind the mission I don't like and I'd rather this be a peace keeping mission.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton

It's sad whenever we lose troops. However we should learn from this and if the deaths could have been prevented by simply having our troops ride in area's where there could be land mines our attacks in armored personal carriers. Of course perhaps this loss could not have been prevented. Either way I still think we need a stronger mission statement and objectives in the Islamic republic

There is no way to prevent an RCIED from going off next to a convoy.

It's the planning behind the mission I don't like and I'd rather this be a peace keeping mission.

And what peace would we be keeping there? It's cliched I know, but; in order to keep the peace, peace has to exist first. I sometimes envy civilians. Ignorance must be bliss.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Re: RE: Breaking News:4 Canad

darkbeaver said:
Thier death was a senceless waste, for a mission that has no chance, all in the service of the privilaged class.
Prayers and condolance to the loved ones are empty and hollow, maudlin sentiment that can never replace or pay for the loss. However the prayers and righteousness always makes it easier to send the next lot to thier death.

Pretty Cruel Beav

We know your feelings about the military .... but these forces died even for you whether you acknowledge it or not. They didn't sign on saying they would only take care of the people who wanted them in Afghanistan.

This wasn't a very appropriate place for all your anger to shine....
Lots of other threads you could write on about the waste of it all...without demeaning a few messages for the slain soldiers cut down in their prime.

Or do you feel they should have no place here at this table? On this forum, or in our hearts?

Censor away.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
DarkBeaver wrote: Thier death was a senceless waste, for a mission that has no chance, all in the service of the privilaged class.

First and for-most these young men died Serving Canada, and second their families would be mortified with what you wrote Beaver. Insulting to say the least, have you no shame Beaver. I hope none of their family members wonder into this site, can you imagine how they'd feel reading what you wrote Beaver?

Rest in Peace Lads, "Lest we forget."

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

darkbeaver said:
You just insulted the Canadian Soldiers who died, their families and the Canadian Military. :evil:

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
The Taliban are trying to pull a "Black Hawk Down" on the Canadian Military and people by trying to kill enough Canadian Soldiers to force Canada to cut & run.

That may have worked in Somalia with The United States under Bill Clinton but it won't work here. The Taliban should google "Juno Beach and Canada's role in World War II" to see how far the Canadian Military and people are willing to go to defend Freedom.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006

Wednesday's Child said:
darkbeaver said:

Pretty Cruel Beav

We know your feelings about the military .... but these forces died even for you whether you acknowledge it or not. They didn't sign on saying they would only take care of the people who wanted them in Afghanistan.

This wasn't a very appropriate place for all your anger to shine....
Lots of other threads you could write on about the waste of it all...without demeaning a few messages for the slain soldiers cut down in their prime.

Or do you feel they should have no place here at this table? On this forum, or in our hearts?

Censor away.

its trully sad news

and i dont think you are fair in deriding beaver for perhaps indicating the possible futility of their deaths

its quite a legitimate opinion

the death of these 4 people--- does not in any way belong uniquely to you

we as fellow citizens are entitled to ponder the meaning of their death as you are

and of course-- there will be more

and --- no amount of

rest in peace young warriors--- will make it clean

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

The world is littered with the graves of dead soldiers, we always forget.
The Taliban are rotten, so are the pricks who form the puppet Afghan government.
If it were the intention of Afghan people to form a Nation then why don't they fight thier own battles?
The familys of the dead are already mortified, many of them are just as angry at the government as I am, they've lost thier sons do you really think they will give up others
willingly for a nation that will never be.
There won't be any freedom in Afghanistan, there'll only be rule by drug lords and oil companys.
I insulted the idiots who think we're doing a freedom and democracy mission not the dead soldiers who don't give a damn what I think or say, or what you think or say.
And if you think I'm cruel, too bad, it's people like you who make stupid wars posible in the first place, you love it, you live for it.

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
well of course you are correct

its always struct me as --- cruel---
that slogan we always hear around remembrance day

lest we forget

when really

we HAVE forgotten

what the estblishment fears-- is-- lest we remember

for if we all remembered

they probably wouldnt be any more war

they count on the naivete and innocence of ---
children ----to do their dirty work for them

cortezzz

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2006
before you get on my case--utah and the gang

just be clear that news like this is just as sickening and painfull to me as it is to you

i have in fact a close family member who was--- a member of the canadian armed forces ---
who served on various peacekeeping missions
including cypress

so dont think i dont care about these people

i do

and thats the point

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
As per normal you need to sink to insults as a rebuttal Beaver, what would you know about the suffering of the Families of Military Members? They stand for Something, while you do Nothing but talk and talk and talk.

You spend your days Orating the Commie Mantra and all you post is someone elses ideals, why? Are you not capable of independant thoughts.

I'll will gladly show your posts, above, to as many Military Members as I can, I'm sure they will be delighted by your kindness and intelligence. If your lucky Beaver I may be able to get it printed in the local Military Papers.

P.S. Mogz if you read this thread print it and show your co-workers.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Cortez

To me Beaver's post would have had more impact had he started a topic on his own about the death of the four Canadian military men. He has every right to say what he feels and to believe he can inform us of his reasons and perhaps anger at such a waste.

My argument is simply he chose the wrong place and time to do so.

Would you go to a funeral and in the midst of the ceremonies, stand up and deride the dead?

The topic we were addressing was to express our sorrow for their loss and for their family members - at least I thought that is why we were informed. It is customary is it not to express condolences or have we now gone past that humility of humanity in deference to all the people who now insult those who are sent into battle?

What is so mandatory about turning a silent moment of respect into yet another statement of "rights" which could not wait for a more appropriate time thus displaying the selfishness of a warthog ruining a birthday party.

Anything deriding the clear and simple plainsong of our messages of sympathy such as the validity and waste of giving up one's life, etc. is for another topic for another time.

My message to Beaver was:
Pick your appropriate arenas for making the point you wish - this thread was not a wise choice.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

My deepest condolences go out to the families of the soldiers.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Going to effect the military hard. I heard that one was stationed in Victoria so since the base I work at and Victoria are closely connected I wonder if we will be called down to the funeral.