Muslims Sue Over Cartoons

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Danish Muslims sue newspaper over cartoons
Lawsuit seeks $16,100, claims drawings were ‘defamatory and injurious’

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - A group of 27 Danish Muslim organizations have filed a defamation lawsuit against the newspaper that first published the caricatures of Islam’s Prophet Muhammad, their lawyer said Thursday.

The lawsuit was filed Wednesday, two weeks after Denmark’s top prosecutor declined to press criminal charges, saying the drawings that sparked a firestorm in the Muslim world did not violate laws against racism or blasphemy.

Michael Christiani Havemann, a lawyer representing the Muslim groups, said lawsuit sought $16,100 in damages from Jyllands-Posten Editor in Chief Carsten Juste and Culture Editor Flemming Rose, who supervised the cartoon project.

“We’re seeking judgment for both the text and the drawings which were gratuitously defamatory and injurious,” Havemann said.

The lawsuit was filed in the western city of Aarhus, where Jyllands-Posten is based.

The newspaper published the 12 cartoons on Sept. 30, saying it was challenging self-censorship among artists afraid to offend Islam. The drawings were later reprinted in other Western media, mostly in Europe, in the name of free speech and news value.

The Danish newspaper apologized for offending Muslims after violent protests erupted throughout the Islamic world, but stood by its decision to print the drawings, citing freedom of speech.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Since death and destruction is apart of this cartoon result. The 27 organizations shoud sue for a lot more, not just 16,000 +. They should be sueing for millions. All money going to charity of course.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Jersay said:
Since death and destruction is apart of this cartoon result. The 27 organizations shoud sue for a lot more, not just 16,000 +. They should be sueing for millions. All money going to charity of course.

Actually, since the Muslims in question were the ones who rioted, and caused the death and destruction... they should get squat.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
No they only rioted because they were provoked by the cartoon. So the cartoon publishers should pay up.

And it is the Danish muslims who are sueing and I don't believe they rioted. However, some piece of crap murdered a Muslim man in Denmark during this controversy.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
have you heard about the muslim group or Imam in Canada attempting to take the Western Standard to the human rights commission because of the printing of the cartoons. THE WESTERN STANDARD COULD BE FORCED TO APOLOGISE to fanatical muslims who advocate islamic censorship in Canada!!!!!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I could be wrong but I see normally sensible posters on the side of the great unwashed muslim masses who flew off the handle over the damn cartoons. I want to see the Muslims apologise en mass to the west for the shearcrap of their unreasonable foolishness.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
At least these people are trying something lawfully, rather than beheading the people at issue. I see this as positive. Something other than a stone age reaction is light at the end of the tunnel. There is hope for humanity afterall.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
The time line of these cartoons being shown is more then a year before the riots, so the reaction to these cartoons was planned. These Muslims who are suing have no case, if anyone should sue it should be the Danish Government among other countries.

There are images of Jesus being parodied even on South Park and you have yet to see Christians Rioting burning down Embassies.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
The Arab press has shown a ton of anti Semite cartoons for decades. They should be sued as well. All Danish and Western property that has been destoyed should be compensated for out of Western foreign aid slated to those countries.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
At least this is being sought through a peaceful measure; if someone is seeking damages, then so be it, so long as they go through the proper process to make their grievances. As for the Muslim protesters who would take The Western Standard to court, so be it; if a human rights commission indicates that some sort of wrong-doing has been done according to Canadian law, then by all means, there should be an apology.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Trouble is all someone has to do is make a complaint. Then the Human Wrongs Rights activists swing into action. The other party has to spend money on lawyers defending themselves. This cost cannot be recovered.

A similar complaint occurred with the North Shore News. Some Bernie somebody laid a complaint then sat back. HR Lawyers paid by taxpayers went after Doug Collins and the NS News. Seems Collins questioned the numbers killed in the Holocaust.
Their defence bill was over $200,000 before Collins died. A indirect fine if you ask me.

Who appointed the big wheels at the HRC? What are their qualifications?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jersay said:

I found your post to be defamatory and insulting to all those that believe in freedom of speech. I will be setting up a class action suit.

you'll be hearing from my lliar....er...lawyer.

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
No they only rioted because they were provoked by the cartoon. So the cartoon publishers should pay up.

What the hell Jersay, you're condoning violence over a religious issue? It's a freaking cartoon, that doesn't give you recourse to riot and kill people. The Muslims should get squat, freedom of speech was exercised, yes perhaps in poor taste, but if they don't like it, back to dirkaland for you.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It doesn't matter what Muslims do, Jersay will support them. It's the new favorite religion of Liberals.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Jersay said:

And it is the Danish muslims who are sueing and I don't believe they rioted. However, some piece of crap murdered a Muslim man in Denmark during this controversy.

Jersay, that's the same as claiming you only burnt down..say, Jay's house because you were provoked by an anti-ndp post of his. Posting the pictures was the choice of the Danish paper, rioting, killing and burning embassies was the choice of those that engaged in such activities.

The 12 Danish Imams were the ones who brought 200 "anti-muhammed" pictures to the Middle East... even though only 12 were actually shown by Jyllands-Posten. They are more at fault for these damages than anyone else.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I have some points to make, to convey my opinion.

(a) I think that the cartoons were published in extremely poor taste; however, I do not think that the publishing of these cartoons violated the reasonable limits on freedom of speech in a free and democratic society.

(b) Notwithstanding point (a), Muslims should continue to have the right to attempt to challenge the publishing of the cartoons at human rights commissions and the appropriate superior and supreme courts, because that is a right that should be safeguarded (namely, the protection of our judicial institutions).

(c) Muslims should continue to have the right to protest the publishing of these cartoons — freedom of speech is a right, but it is also true that this right can be exercised to express disapproval of the use of this right in other contexts. Notwithstanding whether or not the majority of citizens concur that the publishing of the cartoons was appropriate, a minority of citizens must retain the right to protest and assemble in a free and democratic society.

Now, in conclusion, I think that the publishing of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed (peace be upon him) was abhorrent. However, I think that if I had been older at the time of the publishing of the often-referenced parodies of Jesus Christ, I would have been just as staunchly opposite to their publishing. I don't think that newspapers should have published these cartoons; however, I don't think that they should be barred from making such publications.

However, I would suggest that there are limits to the types of cartoons that can be published in a free and democratic society — for example, cartoons that would promote genocide or any sort of harm to anyone, should not be tolerated. I don't care whether or not that would be known as "censoring", but my opinion is that such publications (in any medium) are, and are rightly, unlawful.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
good points, 5paradox, but the problem lies in who's going to decide what's harmful... common sense should provide some parameters, but apparently this is also open to interpretation...
freedoms carry responsibilites - but unfortunately there are still many who want one without the other