Bono says; Bush Generous

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
U2's Bono Lavishes Praise on President Bush and American Generosity to the Poor

By John-Henry Westen

WASHINGTON, February 10, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The lead singer of the famous rock band U2 which just this week claimed an incredible five Grammy awards, has praised President George W. Bush and Americans for their generosity, especially post 9-11. His remarks came at the February 2 National Prayer Breakfast.

The rocker began, with good humour, expressing the oddity of his appearance at the prayer breakfast. "You know, one of the things I love about this country is its separation of church and state. Although I have to say: in inviting me here, both church and state have been separated from something else completely: their mind." Before continuing he added, "Mr. President, are you sure about this?"

Adding also, "It's very humbling and I will try to keep my homily brief. But be warned-I'm Irish."

Bono offered some personal remarks about his struggle with faith and journey with God, and how he was led to be an advocate for the poor and those afflicted with AIDS. But unlike his colleagues in the entertainment field he did not condemn President Bush for efforts at poverty and AIDS alleviation but rather praised him.

"Here's some good news for the President," said Bono. "After 9-11 we were told America would have no time for the World's poor. America would be taken up with its own problems of safety. And it's true these are dangerous times, but America has not drawn the blinds and double-locked the doors."

While countless Hollywood types bellow about Bush's approach to the fight against AIDS which favours treatment for victims and abstinence over pushing condoms, Bono praised the efforts so far and challenged America to do even more.

"In fact, you have double aid to Africa. You have tripled funding for global health. Mr. President, your emergency plan for AIDS relief and support for the Global Fund-you and Congress-have put 700,000 people onto life-saving anti-retroviral drugs and provided 8 million bed nets to protect children from malaria."

Without doubt, he said, there remains much to be done. He challenged America to give an additional one percent of the federal budget to fight poverty. But as to the efforts of the President and the American people thus far since 9-11, he said, "Outstanding human achievements. Counterintuitive. Historic. Be very, very proud."

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
http://afgen.com/bush_clinton.html

President Bush’s unsung liberal agenda

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Anthony Livingston Hall

Many people throughout the Caribbean believe - as rapper Kanye West declared recently - that President Bush “hates black people.” They invariably cite the erroneous charge that Bush has offered relatively little foreign aid to our region and the continent of Africa as evidence of his hatred. And, unfortunately, his presiding over the U.S. government’s egregious neglect of black Americans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina only confirmed their beliefs.

But ever since Bush launched his Millennium Challenge Account for African development (in March 2002) and his $15 billion Emergency Plan for AIDS relief (in January 2003), I’ve been arguing that Bush has done more to help relieve the suffering of poor black people than any other leader in modern history. Yet, one would be hard-pressed to find a black politician in America, Africa or, indeed, the Caribbean who has publicly acknowledged this salutary and indisputable fact.

Therefore, since rock stars and actors have become the more credible statesmen of our time, perhaps their endorsement of my argument will inspire Bush’s die-hard critics (especially those who actually benefit from his political largesse) to suspend their visceral hatred of him and show due regard for his good deeds in this respect.

Live 8 organiser Sir Bob Geldof – easily the most recognized, informed and passionate campaigner to make poverty history (in Africa) – has been adamant in his praise of Bush’s efforts. And, in an interview published in the 27 June 2005 issue of TIME magazine, Geldof echoed my frustrating attempts to disabuse critics of their ignorance and political biases concerning Bush’s support for Africa with the following remarks:

America doesn't have a lack of empathy; they just don't know the issues as well. Actually, today I had to defend the Bush Administration in France again. They refuse to accept, because of their political ideology, that he has actually done more than any American President for Africa. But it's empirically so.

Geldof then punctuated his praise of Bush’s generosity, as only a rock star would, by declaiming that “President Bush is a bloody hero to Africa - no matter what ungrateful Africans, jealous Europeans or stupid Americans say!”

But this was not Geldof’s first public declaration of support for or defense of Bush’s demonstration of compassion for poor black people. In fact, more than two years ago he joined a small chorus of AIDS activists who were extolling the amount of funds Bush allocated to fight HIV/AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean versus the paltry sums allocated by his predecessor – the liberal President Clinton. The lead vocalist in this regard was Melvin Foote, executive director of the nonpartisan constituency for Africa, who observed that:

“[Bush’s] $15 billion commitment is unparalleled. Clinton offered $300 million, parking-meter money, even though he knew it was a tremendous challenge."

And, in this context, Geldof harmonised his views as follows:

“Clinton talked the talk and did diddly squat; whereas Bush doesn't talk but does deliver....You'll think I'm off my trolley when I say this, but the Bush administration is the most radical, in a positive sense, in the approach to Africa since Kennedy.”

Then, there’s the rock star Bono - perhaps the most visible member of this chorus – who has been diplomatic though no less adamant in his acknowledgement of Bush’s leadership:

“I believe the president is sincere in his convictions to put America up front in a way that hasn't been done before on these issues....If the Millennium Challenge Account and the AIDS initiative go through, we have to be prepared to really stand up and applaud this president's leadership because it is potentially life changing and life saving for millions of people.”

But not to be drowned out by rock stars, actor and AIDS activist Richard Gere became an apostate within the ranks of President Clinton's Hollywood worshippers in 2003 when he stunned the audience at an AIDS benefit - at which Senator Hillary Clinton was guest of honor - by delivering this daring and now notorious line:

“Senator Clinton, I’m sorry, your husband did nothing for AIDS for eight years.”

Impolite, but relatively true!

Now, I can’t imagine anyone will ever accuse Geldof, Bono or Gere of being right-wing nuts or converts to Bush’s Forest Gump crusade to transform the world according to the dictates of his compassionate conservatism. Therefore, where my assertions on this point have been summarily dismissed, perhaps their praise of Bush will help his detractors appreciate the importance of being earnest when it comes to recognizing those who are truly helping the poor (and not just talking about feeling their pain).

After all, starving Africans or Caribbean natives suffering for HIV/AIDS couldn’t care any less how anyone feels about Bush’s war in Iraq or his apparent lack of concern about global warming. Moreover, the only thing that should matter to anyone concerned about their plight is that Bush is providing the most aid whilst insisting that the leaders of recipient countries treat their people humanely and stop hording national resources for their personal use.

Finally, it is understandable that the imperious French President Jacque Chirac would begrudge the utterance of anything positive about Bush’s leadership – especially on matters involving the African continent where the French retain delusions of colonial noblesse oblige. But it is incomprehensible that so many African and Caribbean leaders seem loath just as much as Chirac is to recognize Bush’s unprecedented generosity.

But perhaps the endorsement of these rock stars will help Bush’s critics see that their political prejudices are blinding them to (and making them resentful of) the moral and political authority Bush has earned when it comes to global strategies to fight poverty and HIV/AIDS. And, this acknowledgement is especially critical when one considers the improbability of European leaders following through on their grand G8 Plan for Africa (a $55 billion package) when they can’t even agree on a budget to fund the operations of the EU.

NOTE: Since confession is good for the soul, I don’t mind confessing that, despite my upbringing, my politics are informed more by secular humanism than religious dogma. But I challenge my holy-rolling, church-going fellow Caribbean natives to confess – given the facts delineated above – that the born again, anti-gay, anti-abortion, faithful, conservative George W. Bush is clearly more worthy of their respect and admiration than the backsliding, pro-gay, pro-abortion, unfaithful, liberal Bill Clinton….

Caicos, a Turks Islands descendant, Washington lawyer and consultant to the former President of the United States, Bill Clinton, who publishes his own Internet Weblog at http://ipinions.blogspot.com offering a Caribbean perspective on international events.

10/11/05

Copyright© 2005 Caribbean Net News at www.caribbeannetnews.com All Rights Reserved

License is granted for free print and distribution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Martin deserves all the shit he got. I phoned his office after Bono told people his number. I think it's embarassing that Canada won't live up to their 0.7% promise.

I also agree that Bush has done some great things when it comes to aid....

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
“Clinton talked the talk and did diddly squat; whereas Bush doesn't talk but does deliver....You'll think I'm off my trolley when I say this, but the Bush administration is the most radical, in a positive sense, in the approach to Africa since Kennedy.”

Clinton was rather busy, getting busy.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Bono says; Bush Generous

tracy said:
.I also agree that Bush has done some great things when it comes to aid....

Tracy you "neo-con"....how could you use the words "Bush" and "great" in the same sentence. :wink:

Martin deserves all the shit he got. I phoned his office after Bono told people his number. I think it's embarassing that Canada won't live up to their 0.7% promise.

Dammit....if I woulda had his number I woulda of called him too. Paul Martin makes me angrier than Scott Brison in one of his hissy fits.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I'm a centrist Hank... That means I see the good and the bad in both sides. Unfortunately when it comes to politicians it's mainly bad ;)

I will say I also think Bush could do more. Not encouraging condom use because of some outdated sense of morality is stupid when people are dying.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Proudly so ITN. I think anyone who would describe themselves as a member of a party is just showing a lack of independent thought. I'm conservative in some ways, more liberal in others.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

tracy said:
Proudly so ITN. I think anyone who would describe themselves as a member of a party is just showing a lack of independent thought. I'm conservative in some ways, more liberal in others.

:D :thumbright:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I usually don't have praise for Bush...

But if it's true that the US has indeed given more than Canada as a proportion of its total wealth (in terms of Government and personal capital, time, expertise, etc.,) then it certainly would be shameful for Canada. I haven't checked official statistics for that, but certainly seeing that Canada is not so heavily involved in Iraq, it certainly can give more than the US overall. There is no excuse. There are plenty of ways Canada can contribute, and I'm sure we could help in at least one of them:

Providing funding.

Providing expertise.

Accepting more refugees.

etc. etc. etc.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Machjo said:
But if it's true that the US has indeed given more than Canada as a proportion of its total wealth (in terms of Government and personal capital, time, expertise, etc.,) then it certainly would be shameful for Canada.

I never understood comments like these, why on earth should Canada be ashamed? Is this a competition with the US on who gives more? Canada like everyone else, gives to the best of their abilities. And while we are on topic, do you know how much aid Africa has received since WWII from developed countries? Over $1 trillion, ya, that's not a typo, it's trillion, but corruption runs so deep if everyone would stop giving aid to Africa the people woud probably not notice. Teach them how to fish, don't give them the dam fish.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I think not said:
Machjo said:
But if it's true that the US has indeed given more than Canada as a proportion of its total wealth (in terms of Government and personal capital, time, expertise, etc.,) then it certainly would be shameful for Canada.

I never understood comments like these, why on earth should Canada be ashamed? Is this a competition with the US on who gives more? Canada like everyone else, gives to the best of their abilities. And while we are on topic, do you know how much aid Africa has received since WWII from developed countries? Over $1 trillion, ya, that's not a typo, it's trillion, but corruption runs so deep if everyone would stop giving aid to Africa the people woud probably not notice. Teach them how to fish, don't give them the dam fish.

I fully agree. But you still need to feed them while you're teaching them. Students don't learn well on an empty stomach.

But yes I agree it would be better for the money to go to the grassroots. I think religious organisations could be useful here too since they are already organised at the grassroots in Africa.

As an example, a Christian organisation in the US could give money to local Christian organisations in Africa, and volunteer experts could be sent to help them. But in the end, the locals would use the money acoording to the best interests fo the community as a whole. I know this is already happening, at least to some exten. But I think the government could help too by allowing for more tax cuts to those who do give such money. Again, I know the government already grants such tax cuts, but it could perhaps grant deeper ones. If that means that the government cannot give as muchmoney as a result, it wouldn't matter because the increased money given by religous organisations at the grassroots would be, with less money being transered from government to government.

Since not everyone is religious, though, I think organisations such as UNICEF could be good places to contribute for them too.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

I think not said:
Machjo said:

Sorry, but there is no way we give to the best of our abilities. We give what we want.

You have the number for how much aid money has gone to Africa. Do you have the number for the debt repayments they've sent us and other developed nations? It would probably surprise you.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think not said:
There is alot more to aid than money tracy, food, medicine and training personnel to name a few.

Of course there is, but you realize all of those things cost money right? If third world countries are spending more on debt repayment than health for their people, that's a problem IMO.

It's taken me a long time to realize how connected money and health really are. I didn't want to see it, which is probably why I was drawn to nursing and not to business.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Yes, I realize they cost money, but that money is spent on supplies and assistance before it gets to where it's going and in my opinion it is the best way to handle it.