Cindy Sheehan may run for US Senate

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Peace activist Cindy Sheehan considers challenging Sen. Feinstein

IAN JAMESAssociated Press

CARACAS, Venezuela - American peace activist Cindy Sheehan, whose son was killed in Iraq, said Saturday she is strongly considering running for office against U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein because the California lawmaker will not support calls to immediately bring the troops home.

Sheehan, who was visiting Venezuela for the World Social Forum along with activists from around the world, said she has been thinking of challenging Feinstein for her seat for some time.
"I think this is so urgent and necessary that this is what I have to do," Sheehan told The Associated Press in an interview, adding she would make a final decision on whether to run after talking it over with her three adult children in California in the coming days.

The Democratic primary will be held in June, and candidates must submit their statements by Feb. 14.

Sheehan, 48, who lives in Berkeley, Calif., accused Feinstein of being out-of-touch with Californians on Iraq.

"She voted for the war. She continues to vote for the funding. She won't call for an immediate withdrawal of the troops," said Sheehan, who gained international attention when she set up a protest camp near U.S. President George W. Bush's Texas ranch last year.

"I think our senator needs to be held accountable for her support of George Bush and his war policies," she added.
Feinstein's campaign manager, Kam Kuwata, denied that.

"She doesn't support George Bush and his war policies," Kuwata said by phone from California. "She has stated publicly on numerous occasions that she felt she was misled by the administration at the time of the vote."

But with troops committed, Feinstein believes immediate withdrawal is not a responsible option, Kuwata said. "Sen. Feinstein's position is, 'Let's work toward quickly turning over the defense of Iraq to Iraqis so that we can bring the troops home as soon as possible.'"

Kuwata said Feinstein and Sheehan appear to have a fundamental disagreement over whether troops should be pulled out right now. "That's why they have elections, and if she decides to file (paperwork to run), so be it," he said.

Sheehan, whose son Casey was killed in Iraq in 2004, said running in the Democratic primary would help make a broader point.
"If I decided to run, I would have no illusions of winning, but it would bring attention to all the peace candidates in the country," she said. "And I know I would be able to at least have some influence on policy."

Sheehan earlier had criticized the veteran senator for not immediately backing a filibuster of Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito.

Feinstein announced on Friday that would in fact support that filibuster, the same day Sheehan issued a statement saying she would run against the senator if she didn't take a harder line.
Democrats fear Alito would shift the court rightward on issues including abortion, affirmative action and the death penalty.
In a speech to more than 100 activists on Friday, Sheehan said Bush "should be tried for war crimes" and asked: "How many more American troops are going to be killed while we sit here waiting for spineless public officials to do something?"

Sheehan said she would head to Washington Sunday for protests against Bush's State of the Union address on Monday, and then return to California to discuss her idea of running against Feinstein with her son and two daughters.

"We're going to have a little family meeting about it," she said. "If any of them are diametrically opposed to it, I can't do it."
But, she added, her children have been fully supportive of her activism up until now, "so I can't see - if they think it's going to help peace - that they would be opposed to me doing it."

Link

karra

Ranter
Jan 3, 2006
here, there, and everywher
Sure he does, unless he decides to pull a quick one and try and convince those excellant peoples south of 49 and not support her - this is great news for Republicans the world over. . . .

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
The USA is supposed to be a Democratic Nation. She has principals and beliefs which many sypathize with. Unless your a wako right wing nut bar you shouldn't have a problem with her running. If I lived there I may not vote for her but I do not think it odd for her running. Like F*&k who's the governor of Caleefournya :twisted:

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Unfortunately F - she has neither principles nor beliefs the majority believe in - sadly for her, she's a tool. . . .

She wants out of Iraq, which the majority of Americans want out of. Unless you only count the ones who follow Bush and his Republicans with everything he says.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sheehan's Candidacy for the U.S. Senate

I am surprised at the assertion by some that Ms. Sheehan should not run for the Senate, since her views may not reflect those of the "minority." On this point, I have two comments; one, I would disagree, and would assert that her stance on the intervention in Iraq is similar to that of the majority of the population of the United States; two, anyone has the right to run for office, even if their views are unpopular with a minority, or a majority.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I think Cindy Sheehan is going to run into a psychological
wall in her own life. She won't be able to pinpoint her
own subconscious dissatisfaction. But she will go through
a journey of much thoughtless action that will lead
her to this vague sense of self-dissatisfaction.

Just a feeling.

Even Abraham Lincoln began as a very immature
politician who seized upon any contrary notion to his
opponent. Often Lincoln took very shallows positions
just to differentiate himself from his opponent.
For example before he got the name of Honest Abe,
his big nickname was SPOTTY LINCOLN, because he constantly asked in Congress: Show me the spot ? Show me the spot where Mexico invaded American territory?

Later this protester of the Mexican-American war of 1845
became, paradoxically so, the strongest man in prosecuting a continental civil war of such huge proportions that Europe gasped as it watched armies larger than its own continent could muster, and prison more harsh than it could fathom and so thus began the Geneva Convention.

But Lincoln is quite the shallow beginner, quite the
shallow contrarian to gain public recognition.

A lot of politicians and people in the public eye grow
up like this.

Later on they might mature and defy all our predictions.

We never know what material makes up greatness from
such shallow beginnings of contrary statements.

Although Lincoln had a much more steely and tougher
wilderness that forged his nature than Cindy Sheehan.

And so Cindy Sheehan might not have the stuff to overcome
her impending psychological malaise within her own soul when
her 15 minutes of fame expires because we the public get ennui so
much faster these days.

And by the way, Senator Feinstein is far more a developed
substantial soul than Cindy Sheehan is, and I say that as an
American conservative who rarely agrees with Feinstein, but I
do like the way she carries herself and talks on the talk shows.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mother Sheehan

There is a stage of grief - especially violent death grief - in which anger and unremitting rage takes over and the griever locks into a thing or object or reason to blame.

Cindy Sheehan was an activist before her son's death, and in dying he confirmed her reason for life, which she is now committed to continue like a never ending replay over and over.

I dislike her irrational behavior, but know it is something she cannot control, and therefore I feel sorry for her as well.

She does a disservice not only to her slain son, but to the families who have also lost loved ones and grieve in more personal and meaningful ways. And ultimately she does a disservice to herself because she is avoiding getting through the rest of her grief which will offer acceptance and peace for her personally.

Should she "get even" in order to get over her grief? It won't work because even if she attains her goal of becoming a senator from California, she will continue the message of "get even" - and this is not a healthy platform from which to make law.

And those who use her - shameful.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Well being elected anywhere I doubt highly she stands a chance, even on the democratic ticket with a lot of democratic support. I just don't find her a convincing speaker. I see her just as a victom *shrugs*. I think if the Democrats want to give a seat to the Republicans they should run behind her.