I Watched a Public Execution Today

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
On the News this morning ,I saw a group of New Orleans policeman ,lined up with guns aimed at a Black with a small knife in his hand. Did they try to disarm him? Or use their guns to wound him? no,they fired en masse into him until he died.This was totally unnecessary, as there are many methods to take a knife away from a suspect without the use of lethal force, and just another example of the brutality and racism of that city's "finest".

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
missile said:
On the News this morning ,I saw a group of New Orleans policeman ,lined up with guns aimed at a Black with a small knife in his hand. Did they try to disarm him? Or use their guns to wound him? no,they fired en masse into him until he died.This was totally unnecessary, as there are many methods to take a knife away from a suspect without the use of lethal force, and just another example of the brutality and racism of that city's "finest".
:x :evil:

but not surprised. ( and that is even worse)

Golly, and how the US "condemned" public executions done in other nations, claiming them to be barbaric. All they have to do is look inside their own borders. Public beatings, public executions , torture and gosh knows what else. ....seems to be the coming fabric of the new USO. (US Order)

Let's see how they spin /"explain" this one.... :x

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Before the advent of small video recorders that most everyone seems to have,things like this horrible event were not shown or even mentioned. Actions like this one have gone on in the US since it began, and were just hushed up.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
missile said:
Before the advent of small video recorders that most everyone seems to have,things like this horrible event were not shown or even mentioned. Actions like this one have gone on in the US since it began, and were just hushed up.

very true. When I first read the item........my first thought was :

LYNCHINGS.

Not only hushed up.......but actually condoned , encouraged.

Something lethal/predatory about that entire society. ( a generalization....I know. But the "tone" is there. :cry:

Dig cams that take videos have been a big help in bringing this type of information to light.

(there are many places in the US that are quite scary to travel to. They are so encapsulated that strangers can be made to feel very unwelcome. The "image" that is presented is for commercial use only. The reality is something else .

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
missile said:

I don't know whether this was justified or not. I didn't see the video.

But I am going to play the Devil's advocate.

We are taught that a young man in average condition can cover 25 feet in 1 1/2 seconds. Bullet proof vests, believe it or not, do not stop knives. So, our training is, if he has a knife, is within 25 feet of us, and is threatening, shoot him. Until he is no longer a threat.

One NEVER shoots to wound. You shoot to stop, which means centre body mass.

These things are unfortunate, and I didn't see the video, but I understand that people react how they are trained to react, and police are trained to take no risk.

Mind you, they do have night sticks and pepper spray, options we do not have.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Ocean Breeze said:
missile said:
:x :evil:

but not surprised. ( and that is even worse)

Golly, and how the US "condemned" public executions done in other nations, claiming them to be barbaric. All they have to do is look inside their own borders. Public beatings, public executions , torture and gosh knows what else. ....seems to be the coming fabric of the new USO. (US Order)

Let's see how they spin /"explain" this one.... :x

:roll: How would you have disarmed this guy? Lets not run to judgement on their actions from the comfort of our living room couch. There will be an automatic review of the officers' actions, and it will be determined if they acted correctly or not.

It's a good thing police brutality does not exist in Canada, huh? :roll:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Since you asked! I would have shot him in the arm or leg to put him down,then used my baton to control him. As a trained policeman with a certain degree of marksmanship[and he was at close range],no problem to not take his life. The 5 policeman were not in any real danger from this man with his small knife.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Let us not forget that a knife is categorized as a "deadly weapon", as is a gun. As such, deadly force is rightly justified in neutralizing someone posing a threat with a deadly weapon of any kind.

These officers had tried pepper spray on this individual, with no effect. Therefore they had no choice but to resort to deadly force.

If someone has another solution, please let me know.

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)
RE: I Watched a Public Ex

Well, what would have been wrong with shooting him in the arm that had the knife? And maybe in the other one too so he couldn't switch hands? That would have neutralized him effectively.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: I Watched a Public Ex

Summer said:
Well, what would have been wrong with shooting him in the arm that had the knife? And maybe in the other one too so he couldn't switch hands? That would have neutralized him effectively.

Officers are trained to aim for the body when threatened with deadly force. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, they are more likely to neutralize the suspect. Secondly, the chances of missing their shot is far less than aiming for the arms/hands/legs. If they would have fired at this individuals arm(s)/hand and they missed, this guy would have surely charged them with the knife. Even if the officers would have hit him in one hand, he still had another free hand.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

So a bunch of them fired several shots into him? What, they were afraid he might get up after the first shot? A group of men with clubs and mace and who knows what else can't deal with a single man with a knife?

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
So a bunch of them fired several shots into him? What, they were afraid he might get up after the first shot? A group of men with clubs and mace and who knows what else can't deal with a single man with a knife?

Rev, they had tried pepper spray which had no effect on this individual. They played this by the book. There was a threat of deadly force present and they put a stop to it.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

They shot a man multiple times even though they had him outnumbered and he didn't have a gun. They have a history, well-documented, for using excessive force and practicing brutality.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Reverend Blair said:

That is simply human nature. Your buddy starts shooting your enemy, you start shooting. Happens every time. Remember Kent State?

I guess, just from what I've read here, that the guy had already been pepper sprayed, to no effect. Closing to baton range is pretty risky.

As for shooting to wound, it is not done for another reason. Anyone that carries is taught they are fully responsible for every shot they fire. You never shoot to wound, as arm shots are very hard to make, or your bullet will inevitably go directly through the arm, and in either case, wind up somewhere unintended.

As for shooting at legs, that is unacceptable for all the above reasons, as well as the fact that leg shots kill if the prominent femoral artery is hit.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
They shot a man multiple times even though they had him outnumbered and he didn't have a gun. They have a history, well-documented, for using excessive force and practicing brutality.

A knife is categorized as deadly force, as is a gun. They acted as they would if this guy had a gun.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That is simply human nature. Your buddy starts shooting your enemy, you start shooting. Happens every time. Remember Kent State?

Yeah, actually, I do remember Kent State. "Human nature" is the defence for shooting unarmed student protestors? Does that mean I can grab somebody I don't agree with by the throat and shake him until he accedes to my wishes? That's human nature too.

A knife is categorized as deadly force, as is a gun. They acted as they would if this guy had a gun.

He didn't have a gun though, he had a small knife. Acting as if he had a gun is only appropriate if had a gun.

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)

Nascar_James said:
Summer said:

Officers are trained to aim for the body when threatened with deadly force. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, they are more likely to neutralize the suspect. Secondly, the chances of missing their shot is far less than aiming for the arms/hands/legs. If they would have fired at this individuals arm(s)/hand and they missed, this guy would have surely charged them with the knife. Even if the officers would have hit him in one hand, he still had another free hand.

Hence my saying they should have gone for both hands. Remember, there were multiple officers there, it's different from if there'd only been one. With multiple, if one misses, chances are another won't.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Reverend Blair said:

Yeah, actually, I do remember Kent State. "Human nature" is the defence for shooting unarmed student protestors? Does that mean I can grab somebody I don't agree with by the throat and shake him until he accedes to my wishes? That's human nature too.

He didn't have a gun though, he had a small knife. Acting as if he had a gun is only appropriate if had a gun.

Whoa there, Rev. I was not defending the Guard at Kent State, who had NO reason to open fire at all. I was just using it as an example of one shoots, everybody shoots. In Mitchner's book on the subject, there is an interesting picture of an officer beating the firing Guardsmen on the head with what looks like a swagger stick, trying to get them to stop. I bet the Guardsmen never even were aware they were being struck.

25 feet, Rev. Within that distance, they are taught to shoot a man with a knife. I've had the training, and it is pretty well universal. They reacted as if he had a deadly weapon.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Bringing a knife to a gun fight?

Sounds a little crazy to me. In close quarters, I could understand a good bit of urgency to get the guy stopped, but outside in the open with five men to one, there were other options. two or three policemen with batons should have been able to swarm one man with a knife and disarm him. All five policemen standing back and shooting is more than a little cowardly. Maybe it was just lack of training or lack of leadership.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

If that's the way they are trained to react, then the training sucks and needs to be changed.

Colpy, I don't really care how they wer trained or if they were just reacting to what somebody else did. If we are giving people guns and telling them not to think for themselves, then we have a real problem as a society. If some try to justify or defend such actions, then we have an idea of the mindset where the problem is coming from.