Canadaville opens in flood-ravaged Louisiana

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
CBC News

The newest housing project for victims of Hurricane Katrina opened on Saturday.

It's called Canadaville and the man behind it is Frank Stronach, chairman of auto parts maker, Magna International, who put up $10 million of his own money for the project.

Story continues at link.

A pretty good example of people helping people which is what Canada is all about in my opinion.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Canadaville opens in

I sure hope his daughter gets elected. :wink:

I saw this on the news. Mr. Stronach is doing a great thing. Too bad none of the US billionaires would do something similar.

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
Some of our American and European cousins know almost nothing about Canada. Some have suggested that we need to do a better PR job so that the rest of the world knows what we are about. I think they may be right. We are pretty quiet about our accomplishments. I think I'm going to change that. I've posted this on some international forums too.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Canadaville opens in

no1important said:

I saw this on the news. Mr. Stronach is doing a great thing. Too bad none of the US billionaires would do something similar.

If you are trolling, consider me hooked.

Belinda Stronach is useless. She proved that when she had the Ontario PCs present their budget in a TV studio. Seriously, that would have moved my vote elsewhere, had I been in Ontario.

I swore if she won the leadership of the CPC, I would quit voting.

She has no sense of loyalty, she is a mercenary opportunist, she has a sense of entitlement that knows no bounds......she belongs with the Liberals.

May she lose, and sink into oblivion.

Frank, however, deserves kudo for his actions.

BTW, on average Americans are MUCH more generous to charity than are Canadians.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Canadaville opens in flood-ravaged Louisiana

Timetrvlr said:
Some of our American and European cousins know almost nothing about Canada. Some have suggested that we need to do a better PR job so that the rest of the world knows what we are about. I think they may be right. We are pretty quiet about our accomplishments. I think I'm going to change that. I've posted this on some international forums too.

I LIKE the fact that our "neighbors" and European 'relatives" know very little about Canada. I don't believe in blowing ones horn or bragging or advertizing.

Prefer to have the actions speak for themselves , without a lot of self grandization. The last thing we need to do is to follow the US model in this regard.

A lot to be said for being understated, quiet, productive .......without drawing attention to oneself as it simply takes away from the achievements.

bragging never accomplished anything.......and sure as anything comes back to haunt one. LOUD MOUTHS ......we don't need.

but back to the original topic..........a very nice gesture indeed. And it DOES speak to the heart of what Canada/Canadians continually aim to be. Without fan fare............(and trumpets blowing ...)

Let's keep Canada and Canadians on the path of being a class act.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I LIKE the fact that our "neighbors" and European 'relatives" know very little about Canada. I don't believe in blowing ones horn or bragging or advertizing.

Hrmmm, unlike myself, I know very little people in Toronto with "European Relatives". I also know a lot of people in that regard who know very little about Canada, too.. and they live here.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Re: RE: Canadaville opens in

no1important said:

Excuse me, but Oprah Winfrey donated an equal amount, and also she set up a website where everyday people could donate furnishings. Plus she and several of her friends went IN PERSON to view the ruins and offer comfort.

Many Americans have given, but not all chose to publicize it.

Uncle

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Andem said:

Hrmmm, unlike myself, I know very little people in Toronto with "European Relatives". I also know a lot of people in that regard who know very little about Canada, too.. and they live here.

ain't' that the truth??? :wink: We might want expand our own knowledge about our own county first .......before trying to "sell" it to someone else. :wink: Mind you ........it IS one giagantic country... :wink: