This is just sick. Wow, Just wow

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Teen Mother Accused of Killing Baby in Clothes Dryer

It's a Louisiana crime so cruel that it's making newscasts and newspapers around the world. It's the mother in Bogalusa, Louisiana who put her three-month-old baby in a clothes dryer and started the machine, tumbling and burning the baby boy until he was dead. The young mother is now being charged with first degree murder.

Lakeisha Adams is 18-years-old, and until Monday, she was the mother of two young children. But police say at some point that day, she killed her 3-month-old baby boy by placing him in a clothes dryer and turning it on.

"It's probably one of the worst I've seen," said Sgt. Daryl Darden, Bogalusa Police. "When we got to the house, to see the baby like that... it really got to a lot of the policemen. I guess they thought about their own children."

The young mother's best friend, Nicole Walker, says she can't understand it. "I just can't believe she's done that," she said. "I mean, we were always so cool and we were friends... I can't believe she's done that."

Police say they first learned of the tragedy just before 7:00 p.m. Monday when they got a call from Lakeisha. According to Sgt. Darden, "She claimed that somebody had come in the house and placed her baby in the dryer of the house, and when she came to the house, she found her baby in the dryer, got the baby out and called the police department."

When the police arrived at the mother's house, they found the infant lying dead on her sofa. The baby was badly burned. There was no hope of saving the child when officers arrived; the baby had been dead for several hours. Investigators say Lakeisha Adams later confessed that she was the one who put the baby in the dryer. The biggest and most difficult question that people in Bogalusa, and the police, now have is "why?"

Reporter: Did the mother offer any explanation why she did this?

Darden: No, she didn't. She didn't talk very much. Just to the fact that, after we talked to her for a while, she gave us, you know, what happened to the child.

When questioned, Lakeisha's best friend says she had seen no indication that she was abusing her children.

Reporter: Was she having any trouble caring for the babies?

Walker: Ah... no.

Reporter: She didn't sound like she was depressed or anything like that?

Walker: No, she ain't telling me.

And people who have known Lakeisha Adams all of her life are puzzled, too. "It's terrible," said her long-time neighbor Ethel Henry. "It just couldn't sleep last night. I just couldn't get it out of my mind, you know?

Another neighbor, Reverend Mertis Fortenberry said, "It's sad... and I hate it... because they've been my neighbors for a long time."

"A lot of people are concerned," said Joel Miller, a community activist. "They're shocked because they know this is a nice family, and its shocking to us all."

Adams' other child, a one-year-old girl, is now in state protective custody. Tuesday morning, Lakeisha Adams hugged her own mother and grandmother as she was led back to jail. If convicted, she could face the death penalty.

The St. Tammany coroner, who performed the autopsy on the baby, says the infant had third degree burns over 50 percent of his body, along with blunt-force head trauma caused by the dryer. Bogalusa Police say they are not aware of any previous complaints of child abuse against the mother.

Link

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
That is horrible. I don't know why an 18 year old has two babies to begin with, but I find it really strange that she hadn't abused the other baby.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An 18 year old having babies?

That's nothing. Here in Britain, girls as young as 12 have babies.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
BABIES FOUND INSIDE BOX

The babies were
blue with cold

By ANDREW PARKER

A SEARCH was under way last night for a young mum whose twin babies were found blue with cold abandoned in a cardboard box.

The “adorable” brother and sister were in a sleeping bag inside the 2ft by 1ft cartoon-covered supermarket box in a hospital car park.

The boy, who weighed 6lb 13oz, and the girl, who was 4lb 5oz, amazingly survived near freezing temperatures.

But while the boy was “doing fine”, his sister was described as “poorly” in a stable condition.

Maternity staff believe the white babes — who they have called Holly and Joseph — had been born only an hour before they were found outside Birmingham’s Heartlands Hospital just before 9.30am yesterday.

Hospital spokeswoman Lisa Dunne said: “It may have been fortuitous or planned, but they were left just yards from a maternity unit with the best hi-tech equipment in the region for looking after newborn babies.

“There are some concerns over the little girl’s health, but the boy is doing well.”

Fay Baillie, head of midwifery at the hospital in Bordesley Green, added: “The babies are in incubators and breathing on their own. They are very small. We will know within the next 24 hours whether they have any problems.”

She added: “We have temporarily named them Holly and Joseph because of the Christmas season.”

Doctors were “extremely concerned” for the welfare of the twins’ mother, who they believe is probably a single teenager.

They think part of her womb may have been damaged and infected during what would have been a traumatic double birth.

Ms Baillie said: “We are concerned for her health and welfare and that she needs medical care.

“Her babies also need her support and she is not in any trouble. We would like to make contact with her or anybody who is caring for her.”

Detective Inspector Simon Vowles added: “Our chief concern now is to find the mother.

“We would reassure the mother that the babies are OK and getting the appropriate medical treatment. There is a chance the mother has an infection that needs medical attention. She will be treated with compassion and there are people here to help.”

A security guard found the babies after Kenneth and Sheila Randall — both 79, of Knowle, near Solihull — told a receptionist they had seen what they thought was a “tramp’s bag” in the hospital car park.

Sheila had tapped it with her foot as they walked by — and saw something move.

She said: “Police told us there were two babies found inside the sleeping bag and that they were blue with the cold, but thank goodness they are alive.”

Police sealed off the car park to search for clues to the mum’s identity. They were studying CCTV footage at the hospital, hoping the mum will be on it.

thesun.co.uk

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Re: RE: This is just sick. Wow, Just wow

Blackleaf said:

It happens here too. My youngest patient in L&D had just turned 12. The father of the baby was in his 40s. My record for most births at a young age was a 20 year old having her 6th baby. It's absolutely sick, and unfortunately all too common.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth

tracy said:
Blackleaf said:

It happens here too. My youngest patient in L&D had just turned 12. The father of the baby was in his 40s. My record for most births at a young age was a 20 year old having her 6th baby. It's absolutely sick, and unfortunately all too common.

:blackeye:

OUCH!!!!.... that hurt! I was a mother at 16, and had my second before I was 20, do I make you sick too?
Don't judge these girls for their age at which they became a parent , but for the crimes that have been commited. Any mother regardless of her age can( and have) murder their children not just the teen ones.
Maybe you could look upon your teenage patients, with some compassion , understanding and support,instead of disgust .
I'm sure glad you were not my caregiver while I birthed my boys.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Maybe you could look upon your teenage patients, with some compassion and understanding and support, instead of

would go with that one. .........and toss in some genuine heartfelt education while attending to these that you find so "sick"...and pass judgment on. (something medical staff are trained NOT To do)

each young parent has his/her own story......and listening to them is imperative.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

bhoour said:
tracy said:
Blackleaf said:

OUCH!!!!.... that hurt! I was a mother at 16, and had my second before I was 20, do I make you sick too?
Don't judge these girls for their age at which they became a parent , but for the crimes that have been commited. Any mother regardless of her age can( and have) murder their children not just the teen ones.
Maybe you could look upon your teenage patients, with some compassion , understanding and support,instead of disgust .

I don't think the patients are sick, I think it's sick that society or parents would allow or encourage this. I'm sorry for my poor choice of words. I have never had anything but compliments on my care for teen moms and the many moms that are not approved of by society and I take great pride in that (drug users, prostitutes, gang members, criminals, moms who are HIV or Hep C positive, we see them quite often at my hospital). I am the result of a teenage mother, so I'm not disgusted by them at all.

One baby at 16 and another before you're twenty is doable as far as mothering. Starting at 13 and having 5 more by the time you turn 20... Can you really say that it's possible for any girl to mother all those children at that age? I can tell you that this girl couldn't (a few were already in foster care) and yes I think it's sick and sad that there was no one in her life who cared about her enough to stop this from happening to her again and again and again and again and again. A 13 year old isn't making a conscious choice to have babies, and more often than not the father of the baby is a grown man. These girls need some protection. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could think that having one at 12 by a 40 something year old man isn't sick (on his part and her mother's part for allowing this man to sleep with her daughter). This has nothing to do with juding the girl.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

tracy said:
bhoour said:
tracy said:
Blackleaf said:

I don't think the patients are sick, I think it's sick that society or parents would allow or encourage this. I'm sorry for my poor choice of words. I have never had anything but compliments on my care for teen moms and the many moms that are not approved of by society and I take great pride in that (drug users, prostitutes, gang members, criminals, we see them quite often at my hospital). I am the result of a teenage mother, so I'm not disgusted by them at all.

One baby at 16 and another before you're twenty is doable as far as mothering. Starting at 13 and having 5 more by the time you turn 20... Can you really say that it's possible for any girl to mother all those children at that age? I can tell you that this girl couldn't (a few were already in foster care) and yes I think it's sick and sad that there was no one in her life who cared about her enough to stop this from happening to her again and again and again and again and again. A 13 year old isn't making a conscious choice to have babies, and more often than not the father of the baby is a grown man. These girls need some protection. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could think that having one at 12 by a 40 something year old man isn't sick (on his part and her mother's part for allowing this man to sleep with her daughter). This has nothing to do with juding the girl.

fair enough Tracy. Understand the dilema one is faced with when one sees this and the pattern repeating itself. Sometimes even education does not help. Dysfunctional families come in all forms....and this is one of them. One has to ask......where were the parents of the 12 yr old. ?? Quite a complex societal issue. Most teens that age are already on their own and have been for some time.....but that does not imply that they are street smart .

but back to the original story on here......... this teen just might have snapped. (psychologically).

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Whew, had me worried that there we peope working in L& D that are sickened by teen Mom's. Touchy subject with me, lots of disaproval thru the years, even now 20 yrs later. :roll:

I agree that the Mom in the news article must of suffered some kind of break down.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

Ocean Breeze said:
[
fair enough Tracy. Understand the dilema one is faced with when one sees this and the pattern repeating itself. Sometimes even education does not help. Dysfunctional families come in all forms....and this is one of them. One has to ask......where were the parents of the 12 yr old. ?? Quite a complex societal issue. Most teens that age are already on their own and have been for some time.....but that does not imply that they are street smart .

but back to the original story on here......... this teen just might have snapped. (psychologically).

Thanks for getting what I was trying to say. I often word things poorly. The one 12 year old patient I looked after in Canada was removed from her home along with her baby by social services. Her mom thought it was fine to let a 40 something year old man sleep with her 12 year old daughter in her home. The 20 year old I spoke of actually delivered 2 of her babies with me- one at 19, another at 20- because I happened to still be working at that hospital and they asked for me ("Do you still have that red headed Canadian girl working here?"). She wanted her tubes tied after the 5th, but the doctor wouldn't do it because she was "too young". It was so sad to see her coming in pregnant with another baby she didn't want in the first place.

The mom who killed her baby is just tragic. I would have to wonder if she didn't suffer from some sort of PP psychosis or some other form of mental illness, along the lines of Andrea Yates. There was a mother in SF a few months ago who threw her children over the GG bridge. I think it was three kids. She was schizophrenic and off her meds. I can't feel anger when I think of someone like that because they obviously didn't know what they were doing. It just makes me sad that no one was able to help before that point.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
bhoour said:
Whew, had me worried that there we peope working in L& D that are sickened by teen Mom's. Touchy subject with me, lots of disaproval thru the years, even now 20 yrs later. :roll:

Again, I'm sorry about my wording. I have nothing but respect for mothers who step up to the plate and do the best for their kids, whether that means parenting them or placing them with another family as my birthmother did. I've seen some teen mothers who are better prepared to parent than some 30 and 40 year olds, and many other stigmatized mothers really rise to the occasion after becoming mothers.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
It usually is to late by the time help arrives. MY Best friend ( single Mom) asked r the CAS for help 11 times. It took a physical fight between her and her teenage boys for something to be done. She was arrested and charged with assault for head butting her son, after he pulled her hair and had her pinned to the wall, while the other hit her. The boys were not charged. They are still in care until June, and none of them have received any counselling.............. :dontknow: If she been given help 5 yrs ago, most likely this wouldn't of happened???
I too asked for my tubes tied from 19 after the birth of my boys>> until I was 35 . I even got prego @ 30 and didn't have it, and still they said I was too young. I had my daughter at 33 and it took a year but I finally convinced them to do it. It would save alot of unwanted pregnancies and heartache if it was the decision of the patient and NOT the Doctor.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
tracy said:
bhoour said:

Again, I'm sorry about my wording. I have nothing but respect for mothers who step up to the plate and do the best for their kids, whether that means parenting them or placing them with another family as my birthmother did. I've seen some teen mothers who are better prepared to parent than some 30 and 40 year olds, and many other stigmatized mothers really rise to the occasion after becoming mothers.

I definately had MORE patience as a teen . It was natural to play with them and somehow easier to relate to them. NOw @ 36 with a 3 yr old it is sometimes effort to play and remember that she is 3 and needs me, at this age I have LESS energy at the end of the day.