US Executes 1000th person

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Convicted killer Kenneth Boyd has been executed - the 1,000th person to be put to death since the US restored the death penalty in 1976.

so tell us......America , has the death penalty deterred your crime rate???

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: US Executes 1000th pe

no1important said:
Man 1000 state sanctioned murders. :evil: They must be so proud. I wonder how many were innocent?

Or mentally handicapped? Either way I'm sure there's statistics for both of those. Many others though I'm sure may have deserved it, but if the system isn't 100% foolproof it really should be reconsidered.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Innocent man free after 24 years in prison

A teaser:

MARIETTA, Ga. -- A judge Thursday freed an inmate whose claims of innocence in a kidnapping and rape went unheeded for nearly a quarter of a century, until DNA evidence proved him right.

At the end of the 15-minute hearing where Robert Clark was finally granted his freedom, his attorney, Peter Neufeld, patted him on the back and said, "You're free to go, fella."

Clark's mother died and his children grew up and had families of their own while he sat in prison for a 1981 attack on an Atlanta woman. His lawyers said DNA from another man matches not only that rape, but two others that were committed later.

Clark, 45, was convicted and sentenced to life plus 20 years after a woman identified him as the man who carjacked her in Atlanta and raped her. But recent DNA tests showed that Clark did not commit the crime. [/end teaser]

I know he was not in jail for murder, but this is similar enough. Another reason to abolish the death penalty. I wonder how many people were to be freed today if they lived long enough for DNA to clear them.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Although Mexico outlaws the death penalty, there are thousands of incidents where a village has taken upon its own hands to mete out the justice of death, as there are the corrupt police who also take it upon themselves to execute the final penalty.

So okay Mexico is better.

And then there's those recidivists who kill again, rape again and how many have they killed ? More than 1000 in Canada ?

Nobody's collating those statistics. Because a society that lets those recidivists out to kill again are just as responsible and damned.

A Society gives the govt the right to execute, and so another society allows the death of its own citizens by early release of life sentences that run only 20 years.

I'm not sure either society escapes the judgement of the damned.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

no1important said:
Man 1000 state sanctioned murders. :evil: They must be so proud. I wonder how many were innocent?

Yep, there's the rub.

Probably about one in twenty at least.

It doesn't make sense, especially when it costs much more to execute a man than it does to warehouse him for his entire life.

At the same time, I think our policy of refusing to send killers back to the States without a garauntee of no execution is nuts.

The Americans have a system of justice much like our own, and the accused get a fair trial. Their crimes were commited in the USA, and it is simply not our place to second-guess what is American justice.

At the same time, we could not incarcerate a murderer from the USA, until he commited a crime in Canada. The Supreme Court now will not let us deport anyone who might be executed.

This is insanity.

Remember Charlie Ng?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: US Executes 1000th pe

and the accused get a fair trial

Only if they have the resources to afford a good lawyer, otherwise they fry.

The Supreme Court now will not let us deport anyone who might be executed.

So it should be. We do not practice barbaric practices like America. We are also not the only country that refuses to extradite people to America(or any other country that has death penalty) for a death sentance. In that reguard we are a lot more civilized.

I remember Charles NG quite well. I do not believe in death penalty and never ever will. Life in prison is the better option. Like you say 1 in 20 could be innocent and that is 1 too many. Even one in a trillion tenfold is one to many.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

no1important said:
and the accused get a fair trial

Only if they have the resources to afford a good lawyer, otherwise they fry.

The Supreme Court now will not let us deport anyone who might be executed.

So it should be. We do not practice barbaric practices like America. We are also not the only country that refuses to extradite people to America(or any other country that has death penalty) for a death sentance. In that reguard we are a lot more civilized.

I remember Charles NG quite well. I do not believe in death penalty and never ever will. Life in prison is the better option. Like you say 1 in 20 could be innocent and that is 1 too many. Even one in a trillion tenfold is one to many.

I do not agree with the death penalty the way it was administered in Canada, nor the way it works in the USA either.

The criticisms you make of the American justice system also apply to Canada.

If Charlie Ng had been around today, he would be free in Canada. This is a guy that tortured babies to death in front of their bound mothers, and filmed it for his enjoyment later.

Guys like this NEED to be executed.

My proposal..........mass murderers get three trials, for three different offences, in front of three different juries, with three different judges, sort of triple jeopardy.......on their third conviction they are executed immediately.

Bye Bye Clifford Olsen

Bye Bye Robert Picton

There are some crimes that are so evil that society should not even tolerate the existence of the perpetrators.

BTW, for the sake of debate, what would your solution be to the Charlie Ng problem? I mean if he were in Canada now.

capebretoner

Dec 6, 2005
Halifax
www.hosernews.ca

I don't agree with the death penalty, sure it keeps the really bad ones from re-offending, but so would keeping them in jail for the rest of their natural life.

Canada needs to have a true LIFE SENTENCE, not one that means x number of years.

jimmoyer said:
And then there's those recidivists who kill again, rape again and how many have they killed ? More than 1000 in Canada ?

Nobody's collating those statistics. Because a society that lets those recidivists out to kill again are just as responsible and damned.

Yes, you may be right, but does that mean that killing an innocent man or mentally challenged individual who can't control their actions, makes it better.

Also I don't think that it is right to kill a man because he "might" and I must stress the "might", re-offend. I do not believe in fate, or a planned future. I truly believe that we have free-will therefore if someone has paid their debt they should be released.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

It was just this year the US Supreme court banned the executions of minors. I guess old "W" was not too happy about that, after all when he was governor of Texas he was executing people left right and centre. What a barbarian.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

no1important said:
It was just this year the US Supreme court banned the executions of minors. I guess old "W" was not too happy about that, after all when he was governor of Texas he was executing people left right and centre. What a barbarian.

You never addressed my question:

If Charles Ng was in Canada today, and you were Justice Minister, what would you do?

Forget about seeking garauntees from the USA they would not execute him, they would (understandably) not give them.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I would not send him to the US to be executed. I would work very hard to send him to the US provided they would not execute him, if that failed I would try to deport him elsewhere.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

no1important said:
I would not send him to the US to be executed. I would work very hard to send him to the US provided they would not execute him, if that failed I would try to deport him elsewhere.

Sorry, No1.

No one else would take him, I promise. Why would they?

The choice would be send him to the USA to be executed, or set him loose on Canadian citizens.

This is probably the only time I have ever agreed with a decision made by Alan Rock.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
no1important said:

This guy co-founded the Crips, responsible for hundreds, if not thousands of murders over the last 30 years.

He blew four people to death with a shotgun, not in a fit of rage, but in two separate instances, both robberies.

I have problems with the death penalty as well, but you could pick a better case to champion.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Colpy said:
no1important said:

This guy co-founded the Crips, responsible for hundreds, if not thousands of murders over the last 30 years.

He blew four people to death with a shotgun, not in a fit of rage, but in two separate instances, both robberies.

I have problems with the death penalty as well, but you could pick a better case to champion.

there is NO VALID reason for a death penalty .....and the humanoid must evolve beyond that. It is too close to eye for an eye , blah blah to even be considered semi civilized.

The law must remain HUMAINE.......as that is what separates the barbarians from civilization.

( why does one get the impression that arnie kind of "enjoyed" this decision. ??? It is that POWER thing again. He married power, he performed in POWER type movies and is now in POWER in politics. )

these blokes are just about as hardened as the criminals now. But heck........this should get him a few brownie points with the bushgang.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Ocean Breeze said:
Colpy said:
no1important said:

there is NO VALID reason for a death penalty .....and the humanoid must evolve beyond that. It is too close to eye for an eye , blah blah to even be considered semi civilized.

The law must remain HUMAINE.......as that is what separates the barbarians from civilization.

( why does one get the impression that arnie kind of "enjoyed" this decision. ??? It is that POWER thing again. He married power, he performed in POWER type movies and is now in POWER in politics. )

these blokes are just about as hardened as the criminals now. But heck........this should get him a few brownie points with the bushgang.

My big problem with the death penalty is the chance of executing an innocent person.

Also important, IMHO, is the idea that a person is capable of a mistake, and that person might still have a contribution to make.

However, when it comes to mass killers that do their evil over and over, I say they gotta go.

There are some acts that society can not tolerate in any way. There are some people so evil that their existence should not be tolerated.

The only problem is proving their guilt beyond ANY doubt.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Colpy said:
Ocean Breeze said:
Colpy said:
no1important said:

My big problem with the death penalty is the chance of executing an innocent person.

Also important, IMHO, is the idea that a person is capable of a mistake, and that person might still have a contribution to make.

However, when it comes to mass killers that do their evil over and over, I say they gotta go.

There are some acts that society can not tolerate in any way. There are some people so evil that their existence should not be tolerated.

The only problem is proving their guilt beyond ANY doubt.

well..........at some point , one has to ask.....what makes some people so dysfunctional?? One CANNOT just label them "evil" and write them off. IF nothing more ,many ......can be part of forensic pyshiatric research. We need to learn more about why people end up this way and work towards PREVENTION.

(IMHO)