Innocent Man Executed: Texas

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Innocent Man Executed

no1important said:
Exactly why the death penalty needs to be abolished.

absolutely.!!! Takes just ONE situation like this.......to bring THAT home loud and clear.

and then there is "texas justice".......a whole different and lethal ballgame.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Ocean Breeze said:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1121-05.htm

is that just grand??? :evil: :evil: (sarcasm) :x

Makes one wonder why teens had /have to grow up in such "tough" street situations to begin with. --particularly in a "civilized" nation.

Still, Barrera said he found it suspicious that Garza would speak out now despite having had "the responsibility and the opportunity and every reason for the number of years that his best friend stayed on death row."

"In my opinion, he failed to do it because what he told you is not true," said Barrera, who is now a defense attorney. He did it "because he has nothing better to do and he wants to put everybody on a guilt trip."

Despite that damaging statement, none of the three boys was arrested. For nearly three months, the investigation stalled.

Then Cantu shot an off-duty police officer at a neighborhood bar on March 1, 1985.

Detectives quickly arrested Cantu and reopened the murder investigation.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
"He did it "because he has nothing better to do and he wants to put everybody on a guilt trip."

That sounds very familiar. Wasn't a similar type of response used against rape victims. Good lawyer tactic: Blame the victim.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Jo Canadian said:
"He did it "because he has nothing better to do and he wants to put everybody on a guilt trip."

That sounds very familiar. Wasn't a similar type of response used against rape victims. Good lawyer tactic: Blame the victim.

yes, indeedie....Jo.C.

more like BAD lawyer TACTIC.......;-) but tactic just the same.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Nascar_James said:
Ocean Breeze said:

Makes one wonder why teens had /have to grow up in such "tough" street situations to begin with. --particularly in a "civilized" nation.

Still, Barrera said he found it suspicious that Garza would speak out now despite having had "the responsibility and the opportunity and every reason for the number of years that his best friend stayed on death row."

"In my opinion, he failed to do it because what he told you is not true," said Barrera, who is now a defense attorney. He did it "because he has nothing better to do and he wants to put everybody on a guilt trip."

Despite that damaging statement, none of the three boys was arrested. For nearly three months, the investigation stalled.

Then Cantu shot an off-duty police officer at a neighborhood bar on March 1, 1985.

Well, my Canadian friend, are you a US citizen? Can I be frank with you?

Percy

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
unclepercy said:
Nascar_James said:
Ocean Breeze said:

Well, my Canadian friend, are you a US citizen? Can I be frank with you?

Percy

Yep. You bet, Percy.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
You will never be able to convince someone who is in favor of the death penalty that this man could be innocent. They can't admit that to themselves. It's one reason I prefer the lock em up and throw away the key punishment.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I do agree that execution is not necessary in most of tghe cases it is used in the United States, especially in light of the millions it costs to get through all the appeals first. It is cheaper just to warehouse them.

And, according to some of the stuff I've read, as many as 10% of convictions are wrong.

What do you do after you've executed the wrong person? Dig him up and apologize?

However, I also believe the Americans have a justice system based on English Common Law, and that they have the right to sentence their criminals as they see fit. I would have no problem extraditing wanted US citizens.

Remember Charlie Ng?

I believe some crimes are so horrendous, so evil in nature, that the perpetrators should not be allowed to live.

Here's my proposal. If some person is suspected of committing mass murder, they should be tried for each murder individually. Different trial, different judge, different jury. After their third conviction, they should be executed ASAP.

Any "not guilty" decision would remove the possibility of execution.

So the worst, the most evil, are not tolerated, but removed. Permanently. With a sort of triple jeopardy clause to protect against wrongful conviction.

Just a thought.