Don't mess with Texas Grandmas

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
I heard on the news that this Susan Buxton is being overwhelmed by national new media for interviews, including Geraldo Rivera.
She may become the poster child for the NRA... :wink:

Grandma shoots intruder
dailysentinel.com ^ | 10 nov 2005 | unknown

Posted on 11/10/2005 7:10:33 PM PST by nckerr

Woman says she aimed for intruder's leg

ARLINGTON, Texas — A woman who wounded an intruder hiding in one of her closets says she shot his leg because she didn't want to kill him.

Susan Gaylord Buxton, 66, said she's a good shot and could have killed the man because her gun instructors taught her well. Instead, she said, she aimed for his leg and fired a second shot to warn him as he hobbled off.

Buxton has a permit to carry a handgun and will not be charged with a crime because she was defending herself, police said.

"If I didn't have a gun to protect myself, I probably wouldn't be here," Buxton said.

When Buxton let her dog out about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, she noticed a muddy footprint on her back porch.

Buxton heard glass breaking and noticed that her cats were not in the room where they slept and that items in another room had been moved, police said. She told her 28-year-old granddaughter to call 911.

Clutching her gun, Buxton checked several closets, eventually opening one near the front door. She said she pulled a coat away and saw a man, then told him to get on the floor or she'd shoot.

He kept trying to grab the gun, but she fended him off, she said. He fumbled with the front door with one hand and reached for the gun with the other.

She fired once, striking him in the leg.

Buxton heard him cry, "Ow, you shot me!" she said. The gun was the one she keeps to scare away coyotes. She said she keeps the .38-caliber handgun loaded with hollow-point bullets.

In a 911 recording obtained by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Buxton is heard telling Lessner to lie on the floor before the first shot is fired. Before the second shot, Buxton said to her granddaughter, "Get the police out here or this is it for him."

She said to Lessner, who had retreated to the front yard:

"How dare you come into my house, you lousy (expletive). ... Shut up." A shot is fired.

"He got away, damn it," Buxton said on the 911 tape.

Christopher Lessner, 22, was treated for a leg wound at a Fort Worth hospital, said Christy Gilfour, Arlington police spokeswoman. Lessner faces charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, evading arrest, criminal mischief and criminal trespass, police said.

Lessner wound up in Buxton's sights after he fled from officers who had tried to ticket him for speeding in a stolen car at about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday on Interstate 30, Gilfour said. He jumped from a moving vehicle and fled into a wooded area before entering Buxton's house.

"That was the wrong house," Buxton said. "That was my house."

After officers arrived in Buxton's neighborhood, they found and captured Lessner at a nearby house.

Buxton is an artist who worked as a cartoonist for the Arlington Citizen-Journal and as a courtroom illustrator. She said she obtained her handgun permit after someone tried to kidnap another granddaughter 12 years ago.

Uncle

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Susan Gaylord Buxton is a hero, no doubt about it.

This guy was fleeing from the police, that is why he was stupid enough to hide in a Texas home. Home invasions in the south are far and few considering the chances of the criminal getting shot are pretty good.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
. . . Clutching her gun, Buxton checked several closets, eventually opening one near the front door. She said she pulled a coat away and saw a man, then told him to get on the floor or she'd shoot. . .
Even with a gun and official sanction to employ it, that was a remarkably stupid thing to do.

Smart, would have been to call 911 and leave the house until he was captured.

If the burglar had packed a gun, she might have got herself shot.

. . . She said to Lessner, who had retreated to the front yard:

"How dare you come into my house, you lousy (expletive) . . . Shut up." A shot is fired.

"He got away, damn it," Buxton said on the 911 tape . . .
The first shot, while the burglar was in her house, could be construed as defending herself. (He was reaching for her gun. Had he taken it away from her, he may have used it against her.) From the news report it appears that Lessner had no gun of his own.

Once he had been shot in the leg, and had RETREATED to the front yard, she had no excuse for shooting a second time, except as a form of “contagious gunfire.”

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
GL Schmitt said:
. . . Clutching her gun, Buxton checked several closets, eventually opening one near the front door. She said she pulled a coat away and saw a man, then told him to get on the floor or she'd shoot. . .
Even with a gun and official sanction to employ it, that was a remarkably stupid thing to do.

Smart, would have been to call 911 and leave the house until he was captured.

If the burglar had packed a gun, she might have got herself shot.

. . . She said to Lessner, who had retreated to the front yard:

"How dare you come into my house, you lousy (expletive) . . . Shut up." A shot is fired.

"He got away, damn it," Buxton said on the 911 tape . . .
The first shot, while the burglar was in her house, could be construed as defending herself. (He was reaching for her gun. Had he taken it away from her, he may have used it against her.) From the news report it appears that Lessner had no gun of his own.

Once he had been shot in the leg, and had RETREATED to the front yard, she had no excuse for shooting a second time, except as a form of “contagious gunfire.”

Here in the US we have a right by law to defend ourselves and our property with whatever force necessary.

She did the right thing.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
So, GL, you would retreat leaving your granddaughter sleeping in the house? That's actually what happened. You are assuming she was in the house by herself. Even if her husband had been asleep upstairs - how could she have taken the chance?

Nascar, I think she did the right thing too. I am hearing nothing but positive comments.

Uncle

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Don't mess with Texas

The man was hiding in a closet. There is no indication that he was at all violent or that he was even going to steal from the home. He was HIDING. He was reaching for the gun that was BEING POINTED AT HIM and the front door at the same time. He was TRYING to get AWAY.

You guys likely laugh when you hear about cops firing warning shots into peoples' backs too.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Don't mess with Texas

Reverend Blair said:
The man was hiding in a closet. There is no indication that he was at all violent or that he was even going to steal from the home. He was HIDING. He was reaching for the gun that was BEING POINTED AT HIM and the front door at the same time. He was TRYING to get AWAY.

You guys likely laugh when you hear about cops firing warning shots into peoples' backs too.

Rev, knowing that most homes in the southern US are equipped with guns, virtually eliminating home invasions ... what was this guy thinking, that he could just escape from police and run into a house and he'll be left alone? Did he have a death wish? It appeared to me he did. He had no business on that lady's property, the minute she saw this criminal in her home, she had two valid reasons for shooting ... first to defend herself (she is elderly), second, to protect her home.

We need to stay tough on criminals! I don't want the south turning into New York/Chicago/LA where folks are scared of criminals. Here it's the other way around.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You condone shooting people for car theft and evading arrest. Next you'll be burning people for heresy. I thought you pro-life, James? Shooting people is inherently anti-life.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
You condone shooting people for car theft and evading arrest. Next you'll be burning people for heresy. I thought you pro-life, James? Shooting people is inherently anti-life.

Rev, being pro-life doesn't interfere with shooting someone to simply neutralize them. This lady did not kill this individual, but stopped him from either hurting her, or damaging, looting her home. Like I said, whatever force necessary is permitted to either defend yourself or your property.

If criminals get hurt in comitting their crimes, tough. They were breaking the law and as a result got hurt.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You'd be cheering just as loudly if she'd killed him, James...just like you support your government committing murder at home through the death penalty and abroad through bombing civilians with banned weapons.

Your stance is inherently anti-life.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario

Nascar_James said:
. . . being pro-life doesn't interfere with shooting someone to simply neutralize them. . .
Do you ever actually stop to read what you wrote, or is it all stream of unconciousness? :roll:

Nascar_James said:
. . . If criminals get hurt in comitting their crimes, tough. They were breaking the law and as result got hurt.
So, if you momentarily park in a no parking area, you believe she would be justified when the Meter Maid blows you away? 8O

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

GL Schmitt said:
Nascar_James said:
. . . being pro-life doesn't interfere with shooting someone to simply neutralize them. . .
Do you ever actually stop to read what you wrote, or is it all stream of unconciousness? :roll:

Nascar_James said:
. . . If criminals get hurt in comitting their crimes, tough. They were breaking the law and as result got hurt.
So, if you momentarily park in a no parking area, you believe she would be justified when the Meter Maid blows you away? 8O

Don't be silly. I am referring to the context of protecting oneself or one's property from criminal activity. How in Sam Hill does a Meter Maid see the need to blow away a civilian who commits a parking infraction, not a criminal act.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario

Nascar_James said:
Don't be silly. I am referring to the context of protecting oneself or one's property from criminal activity. How in Sam Hill does a Meter Maid see the need to blow away a civilian who commits a parking infraction, not a criminal act.
Answer:

Nascar_James said:
That parking infraction is crime you have probably commited.

Resisting arrest (running away) is a crime you have probably not commited.

Neither are particularly life threatening crimes.

It is interesting to see how you differentiate between which crimes are worthy or enforcement employing force majeure.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

What if James was illegaly parking in my driveway? I perceive Ford products to be a huge threat. Would I be justified in filling James and his truck full of lead?

I'm also curious as to why the grandma in the story was using hollowpoints to "scare off coyotes". I have some experience with the relatives of Wile E. and a single shot over their heads from a .22 works just fine for scaring them off. So does a pop in the ass from a Daisy BB gun for that matter.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

GL Schmitt said:
Nascar_James said:
Answer:

Nascar_James said:
Resisting arrest (running away) is a crime you have probably not commited.

A stranger being unlawfully present in a civilian's home hiding in a closet is a serious crime with usual intent of either robbery or to hurt or kill the homeowner. This justifies "by law" using force to stop the criminal.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
What if James was illegaly parking in my driveway? I perceive Ford products to be a huge threat. Would I be justified in filling James and his truck full of lead?

I'm also curious as to why the grandma in the story was using hollowpoints to "scare off coyotes". I have some experience with the relatives of Wile E. and a single shot over their heads from a .22 works just fine for scaring them off. So does a pop in the ass from a Daisy BB gun for that matter.

Rev, this guy was hiding in her closet, for Heaven's sake! She was also not a young person. She did what she had to. I mean this guy even fought her for her gun ... in her own home.

Well at that note ... it's time to get ready for church...

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
thats theory does not hold water...case in point...my brother put a full length mirror in my closet..behind the clothes...that way when I opened the closet..I saw a pair of legs...belonging to someone, hiding in my closet...now if I had a gun...I would have shot myself...Doh!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

James, you pulling a Ford into my driveway is every bit as threatening as a man hiding in my closet. I have cats and dogs I need to protect, not to mention reason to think that Fords drip petrochemicals all over my driveway and stain the rocks.

Can one of you gun mavens please explain why this woman had hollowpoints in a gun she kept around to scare off coyotes? I chased one away by throwing a 9/16's wrench at it.