Castro confirms Cuba will let U.S. aid team visit

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Castro confirms Cuba will let U.S. aid team visit
President unexpectedly accepts offer to assess hurricane damage

Updated: 11:51 a.m. ET Oct. 28, 2005
HAVANA - President Fidel Castro has confirmed that Cuba agreed to let three U.S. aid officials visit the island to assess damage from Hurricane Wilma’s assault on the island this week.

But during a Thursday night television appearance, he made it clear that his idea in letting them visit was to discuss ways to improve disaster assistance among countries in the region.

“Cuba has not solicited international aid,” Castro said during a regular public affairs problem, reading from the diplomatic note his country sent to the U.S. government accepting the visit.

“It shares, however, the point of view” that countries in the region should “provide each other with mutual assistance in situations of disaster.”

Rare show of cooperation
The State Department had announced earlier Thursday that Cuba agreed to let three U.S. Agency for International Development experts visit in a rare show of cooperation.

:arrow: Cuba has routinely turned down American offers of assistance during disasters over the years.

Waist-deep water coursed through the streets of Havana earlier this week, chunks of the city’s famous Malecon seawall were ripped off, and already-crumbling buildings along the coastal highway were battered by high winds and waves.

According to the State Department’s Cuba experts, this was the first time the Castro government has accepted a U.S. offer of emergency assistance, department spokesman Sean McCormack said.

The display of U.S.-Cuban cooperation was not expected to produce any easing in the friction between the two countries. The official U.S. policy is to seek a democratic transition in Cuba once the 79-year-old Castro is gone, rather than accept a regime-orchestrated succession. The U.S. trade embargo dates back more than 40 years, and Castro was waged a decades-long struggle against U.S. interests.

'Respectful' letter
Nevertheless, the Cuban leader seemed impressed by what he considered to be the “respectful” tone of the letter offering assistance sent by the new chief of the U.S. Interests Section in Washington, Michael Parmly.

Castro had a particularly contentious relationship with Parmly’s predecessor, James Cason, who he once characterized as a “bully.”

After Hurricane Dennis pummeled the island in July, Castro expressed gratitude for Washington’s offer of $50,000 in aid but rejected it.

Havana offered 1,600 doctors to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated the U.S. Gulf Coast in August. The State Department said the Cuban help was not needed because enough American doctors had offered their services.

It is not unusual for the United States to offer aid to adversary countries. Iran accepted U.S. aid following an earthquake in 2003. Also, there have been frequent humanitarian food shipments to North Korea over the past decade.

It was unclear when the three U.S. aid experts would arrive in Cuba. Any aid offers would be based on what that team found, and all aid would be distributed through independent groups, McCormack said.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9841766/

Uncle

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
I fully agree with helping out the Cuban civilians after being hit by hurricaine Wilma. They are not to blame for the governments actions. The Cuban government on the other hand is a different story. They could live in constant misery for all I care. I realize Castro is no longer a threat, however this fact does not excuse him for what he's done in the past (over 4 decades ago). On the bright side, he's already got one foot in the grave so sooner or later (probably sooner) he'll be gone.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Castro confirms Cuba

Just like the american people are not responsible for their leaders actions, but yet your leader James would not co operate or show some sign of good faith when Cuba offered help after Katrina. So to me that makes Castro more caring for his people than bushie, after all Bushie let his people drown and suffer for days before he did anything, some leader he is.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
.........and Castro is one hell of a lot smarter, (wiser) than bush can ever hope to be.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Castro confirms Cuba

no1important said:
Just like the american people are not responsible for their leaders actions, but yet your leader James would not co operate or show some sign of good faith when Cuba offered help after Katrina. So to me that makes Castro more caring for his people than bushie, after all Bushie let his people drown and suffer for days before he did anything, some leader he is.

As I've noted earlier no1, the President had declared a state of emergency for New Orleans and ordered evacuations before Katrina hit. This is old news. The mayor of New orleans on the other hand had empty school buses sitting in a parking lot and instead of using them to evacuate the folks in New Orleans, he just let them sit there and fill up with water.

As for Cuba, the day we accept help from Cuba is the day we need to have our heads examined. We ain't not now nor ever going to accept any help from a Communist dictator such as Castro. I'd rather drown.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Castro confirms Cuba

Bush ignored the dangers of Katrina and completely mishandled the aftermath because he's too stupid to understand the science and too ignorant to care about poor people, especially if they are black. All of the claims made by the spinners trying to cover Bush's ass after the fact have been shown to be lies and manipulations.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
As for Cuba, the day we accept help from Cuba is the day we need to have our heads examined. We ain't not now nor ever going to accept any help from a Communist dictator such as Castro. I'd rather drown.

arrogance /pride before the fall. Would sure hate to see ya eat your words.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
forget the arrogance and pride, does nero ever get any real facts 8O I would most certainly offer a push off that cliff into the ocean, if drowning is the way you wanna go nero :lol: :lol: mmmm I digress 8O Anyhos....

http://www.oxfamamerica.org/newsand...esearch_reports/art7111.html/?searchterm=cuba

case study in cuba's success :roll: :roll: :roll:

"United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) have repeatedly pointed out Cuba as an example for other countries to emulate in risk reduction.”

What of these organizations nero??? never mind...I forgot, you don't really read anything...you just smear like the good lil neocon that you are. :? :?

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Something else for you not to read, Nascar - Amnesty International Report 2005 - Cuba

What you'd notice, if you read it, is that it's considerably shorter and less critical than that of the USA. It also states "The US embargo and related measures continued to have a negative effect on the enjoyment of the full range of human rights in Cuba".

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Hard-Luck Henry said:
Something else for you not to read, Nascar - Amnesty International Report 2005 - Cuba

What you'd notice, if you read it, is that it's considerably shorter and less critical than that of the USA. It also states "The US embargo and related measures continued to have a negative effect on the enjoyment of the full range of human rights in Cuba".

Henry, we have the utmost respect for any Cuban civilian, more so than any other country in the world. Any Cuban who manages to set foot on US soil is given the right to stay here indefinitely. They may become permanent residents and eventually US citizens. Does any other country in the world offer Cubans the same rights we do?

Who we want to punish is the Cuban government officials. Castro's corrupt government had confiscated property from US citizens after he took power in Cuba over some 4 decades ago. He never compensated those involved nor did he offer an apology. That is why I wish Castro and his co-government officials to rot in hell for an eternity. May Castro suffer a horrible and painful death for all I care. Luckily he will die soon, at which time I will celebrate the joyous occassion. Cubans will be better off without Dictator Castro.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
missile said:
So he screwed over United Fruit and a bunch of cheap mobsters who ran the gambling and prostitution in Cuba...so what?

There were private citizens who owned property and businessses in Cuba, Missile. Their assets were wrongfully taken away from them for no reason without compensation and not even a small "I'm sorry" from Castro. What did these folks do to Castro to deserve this treatment? It was unacceptable and I cannot wait till the day he dies so we will all be better off, particularly the Cuban citizens who will finally have a chance at freedom.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Would it make any difference to your view if you knew the Vatican had called for the lifting of the US embargo, james? "The Vatican's view is MY view", remember ... :roll:

Papal call to end Cuban embargo

Vatican, Jan. 10 (CWNews.com) - Pope John Paul II (bio - news) called for an end to the American embargo on Cuba when he met on January 8 with a new ambassador from that nation to the Holy See. At the same time, the Pope pressed the Castro government for greater respect for religious freedom.

As he accepted the diplomatic credentials of the new ambassador, Raul Roa Kouri, the Pope expressed his hope that "the obstacles preventing free communications and exchange between Cuba and a part of the international community" would be eliminated. Apparently referring to the American embargo, he said that the removal of these "obstacles" would allow "the conditions necessary for true peace." Pope John Paul had previously called for an end to the US embargo in January 1998, when he visited Cuba.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I don't remember Britain getting any compensation from you for the revolutionary War or Spain getting anything for Texas and California. But that's different ,isn't it?You won those battles :)

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Re: RE: Castro confirms Cuba will let U.S. aid team visit

jimmoyer said:
Perhaps we on the conservative right are over-reacting to the ridiculous hero worship of the liberal left.

Or perhaps you're talking through your hoop again, jim.