Alpha now forming

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Alpha Sets Record As 22nd Atlantic Storm

Tropical Storm Alpha formed Saturday in the Caribbean, setting the record for the most named storms in an Atlantic hurricane season and marking the first time forecasters had to turn to the Greek alphabet for names.

The previous record of 21 named storms had stood since 1933. Alpha was the 22nd to reach tropical storm strength this year, and the season doesn't end until Nov. 30.

Unbelievable so many Storms/Hurricanes this season. When is the season suppose to end anyways?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The season ends when the water cools off of Africa. There are no predictions that I've seen taking beyond the end of November this year, but the future could extend that on either side by a month.

The thing that we're not hearing about these named storms is that they're moving west a lot more and not turning north nearly as early. Storms that used to die out in the middle of the Atlantic are slamming into the Florida coast now or, worse yet, finding their way into the Gulf of Mexico.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Noe Beta is forming. A record 23rd.

Fresh storm alert for Caribbean

Central America's east coast has been placed on alert as Tropical Storm Beta threatens to turn into a hurricane.

Beta could strengthen before it makes landfall in Nicaragua over the weekend, bringing heavy rains, US forecasters have warned.

Beta, which formed in the Caribbean Sea, is the record-breaking 23rd named storm of the Atlantic season.

Tropical Storm Alpha, which struck earlier this week, killed 26 people in the Caribbean but has now subsided.

Shocking so many but ocean temp is rising........

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Just as a reminder, the following would be the new sequence:

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa, Lambda, Mu, Nu, Xi, Omicron, Pi, Rho, Sigma, Tau, Upsilon, Phi, Chi, Psi, Omega 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
So Beta is getting better organised according to the radio. I'm not sure what that means. How does a hurricane get organised? Did it adopt a new filing system or tidy up its desk or what?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
GL Schmitt said:
Just as a reminder, the following would be the new sequence:

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa, Lambda, Mu, Nu, Xi, Omicron, Pi, Rho, Sigma, Tau, Upsilon, Phi, Chi, Psi, Omega 8O

was wondering about that ........Actually (personally) I kinda like this naming system better than people names. Depersonalizes them.

Not sure why they don't do a numerical naming system.....as that could go on much longer... :wink:

Idle thoughts.. :wink:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Alpha now forming

Reverend Blair said:
So Beta is getting better organised according to the radio. I'm not sure what that means. How does a hurricane get organised? Did it adopt a new filing system or tidy up its desk or what?

actually rev........it is reformatting its computer. :wink: (have that on the highest authority :wink:

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC

Reverend Blair said:

It all starts with buying it a Blackberry, Rev....

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
Hurricanes can type with their thumbs? That's just wrong. No wonder they go on destructive rampages.

nah..........they come pre-programmed. But sometimes the program crashes......and they go beserk. (think Home PC) :wink:

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Hurricannes are supposed to file preflight plans with FEMA.
So, do you wonder why they are subject to sudden rages?

Beta has just joined the Politicians and Hurricane's Deadly Windpower Union, Local 523.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Beta is now a Category 3...wow, what a destructive year.

For those who believe in devine intervention, I overheard one woman at work say that it is the earth's way of cleaning the mess we've made of the place up.

Interesting theory.... :idea:

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

manda said:
Beta is now a Category 3...wow, what a destructive year.

For those who believe in devine intervention, I overheard one woman at work say that it is the earth's way of cleaning the mess we've made of the place up.

Interesting theory.... :idea:

Actually, Oprah said that on Friday, with Leo. I mean....I said that on Friday when I interviewd Leonardo Dicaprio. He's hot...but don't tell Stedman I said that!

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC

That. :D

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la

jimmoyer said:
No it is not.

Thinking nature evolves around the egocentric human being is a mistake.

It never was about us.

well well jim.

Like I said it was one womans theory, and I thought that is was an interesting way to look at it, though Andy, I have to agree that I'd believe it when W gets sucked into a Tornado.

Just because you don't like an opinion, doesn't mean you can discount it. Last time I check, nobody died and left you in charge.

Get off the high horse please, the act grows thin.