Cowboy Hat Prices Soar Due to Fur Shortage

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Bad news for those of us who wear cowboy hats...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,172417,00.html

Sunday, October 16, 2005

PENDLETON, Ore. — In some parts of the country, a man can be judged by the cut of his suit or his designer tie. Here, in a town known for its rodeo culture, men size each other up by the quality of their cowboy hats.

But good quality beaver and rabbit furs — which are used to make felt for the hats — are increasingly hard to find, making it more expensive to be a well-dressed cowboy. A top-grade hat can run as high as $6,000 today.

"It used to be you could pay $30 for a hat and it never leaked. Now you pay $300 and as soon as it clouds up, it leaks," complained cowboy Bill McCoin, 55, a hired hand at a local cattle auction.

Hatmakers, he said, used the best quality beaver and rarely mixed the high-grade fur with lower-quality pelts, such as rabbit, creating hats that were feather-light yet durable.

"I bought my best hat for my wedding," said McCoin. "It was a real good hat — it outlasted my marriage."

In Garland, Texas, home of the 140-year-old Stetson Hat Co., the cost of the raw materials determines the bottom line, said Gary Rosenthal, Stetson's product development manager. "And the raw material has gone up — a lot," he said.

At the high end, for hats starting at $800, the felt is made entirely of beaver. But at the lower end for hats in the $250 range, the felt is often mixed with rabbit fur, mostly from Europe, where rabbits are raised for meat and fur traders bid on the skins after the animal has been butchered.

The drop of the dollar against the euro has made even the inferior fur expensive for American hatmakers.

"Two years ago, I used to be able to buy a kilo of rabbit fur for $2.20. Now, it's $4.70. It just keeps going up and up. And we have no choice but to pass the cost down" to the hat industry, said Louis Pereira, owner of Newark, N.J.-based American Fur Felt, one of the last remaining fur cutting businesses in the United States.

The exchange rate is only part of the problem. Chinese fur manufacturers have recently embraced rabbit as well as beaver for garments, pushing the bidding higher. And butchers are killing rabbits younger — at six weeks, instead of two years. While the quality of the meat does not suffer, the fur does. "The older the rabbit, the stronger the fiber," said Pereira.

A final factor is the growth in popularity of white rabbits, whose fur is not as thick or as durable as that of their colored cousins. "It's a triple whammy," said the fur cutter.

Compared to rabbit, wild beaver always have been expensive. But in recent years, the price of the already costly pelts has climbed even higher.

In December 2002, wild beaver pelts averaged $14.86. A year later, the price spiked to $17.96 and by December 2004, they averaged $20.02. The most recent figures for May of this year have beaver pelts selling for $21.20, according to Fur Harvesters Inc.

Even hatmakers that have the money to spend on the top-of-the-line pelts are finding that the best quality beaver is often ending up in the hands of foreign competitors.

"Russia and China have been gobbling them up," said Dean Serratelli, co-owner of the Serratelli brand, the No. 2 cowboy hat company after Stetson. "The good raw materials are getting scarcer and scarcer."

Add to that global warming.

The best quality fur comes from the underbelly of the beaver, which grows thick to protect the animal in the cold winter months. With winters around the world warmer than in the past, the pelts have not gotten as full as they did decades ago.

"It's a fact that if it's a warmer season, the fur is not as good quality," said Jack Kellogg, a custom hat manufacturer in Wichita, Kan., whose hand-crafted hats under the Hatman Jack's label are worn by a host of Western celebrities.

"One thing I've noticed with the bigger hat companies is to absorb some of the cost, they're toying with their mixes. It's very apparent," he said, referring to the practice of adding rabbit and even synthetic fibers to strengthen the felt.

The quality — or the lack of it — is easy to detect, said Mike Wallis, owner of Red's Hat Co. in Pendleton, a regular stop for style-conscious cowboys. "This one feels really good. This one feels exceptional," he said running his hand first over a gray $350 cowboy hat, then on a cream-colored Resistol costing $550.

The felt of the more expensive hat is not only soft and fuzzy to the touch, the hat itself is also light — yet strong. "A really good hat is so light, it's like putting a dollar bill on top of your head," said Wallis.

But it's strong enough that "you can lean back in a four-wheeler and stare at the stars and not have it blow off," he said.

Cowboy connoisseurs are quick to point out the difference between hats sold today and the hats their fathers wore.

Cattle rancher Robert Vestring, 85, of Burns, Kan., remembers walking into a hat shop in the 1970s and running his hand over a hat, soft as mink and supple. "I looked at this fine felt hat, real thin, the best money could buy and the owner said to me: 'When the hats I have here are gone, there won't be anymore."'

Vestring bought eight of them — two for each of his three sons and two for himself. In 30 years, he says, he's never found any that come close in quality and to this day, when he wears one of the fine hats, people — especially Texans — take note.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Cowboy Hat Prices Soa

Nicest hat I ever had was made from a single piece of string. The whole thing was woven togther and had one knot in the back. No beavers died to make it.

Of course I bought it for practical purposes, to keep the sun off my head and neck. It went well with my cut-off jeans and workboots when I was sitting on a tractor.

I notice the two talking about their boots and hats here are a pair of urban cowboys who wouldn't have a clue what sitting on a tractor for 8 hours in the hot sun was actually like.

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
6 grand for a HAT???

Christ - what are those belt-buckles the size of a Banquet-table going for these days???

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

You realise that, since they only wear their hats to fulfill their John Wayne fantasies, those hats are a once in a life-time cost, right Ten Packs?

I mean, we're not talking about people who will actually put on a hat and go out and perform the kind of work that the hats are meant to help out with.

If we were talking about people like that, this discussion wouldn't be taking place because anybody who has worn a felt hat knows that IT'S TOO FECKING HOT TO WORK IN!

Damned fake cowboys, they make me sick with all their phoney posturing.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Cowboy Hat Prices Soa

Reverend Blair said:
You realise that, since they only wear their hats to fulfill their John Wayne fantasies, those hats are a once in a life-time cost, right Ten Packs?

I mean, we're not talking about people who will actually put on a hat and go out and perform the kind of work that the hats are meant to help out with.

If we were talking about people like that, this discussion wouldn't be taking place because anybody who has worn a felt hat knows that IT'S TOO FECKING HOT TO WORK IN!

that old MACHO thing again..... :roll:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

The really funny thing is that I've seen plenty of women on farms do plenty of hard, outdoor work in the hot sun. None of them are stupid enough to wear a felt hat while doing it either.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
The really funny thing is that I've seen plenty of women on farms do plenty of hard, outdoor work in the hot sun. None of them are stupid enough to wear a felt hat while doing it either.

of course not. They know better. This cowboy gear.....is just like playing dress up. Most of us grew out of it when we were two.......others never do. Have you ever been to the Calgary Stampede??? Need I say more??? :wink:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Vanni Fucci said:
Ocean Breeze said:
of course not. They know better. This cowboy gear.....is just like playing dress up.

Yeah...they're all a bunch of Village People wannabees... :lol: :lol:
:lol: :wink:

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
I notice the two talking about their boots and hats here are a pair of urban cowboys who wouldn't have a clue what sitting on a tractor for 8 hours in the hot sun was actually like.

...well Rev I have not had the privilege of being a farmer....too bad I missed out on all the manual labour....maybe you could fill me in....

...anyways I beleive the term "suburban cowboy" fits me well...I prefer the suit.....unless on the family vacation I like to get out the jeans & hat and hit the road.....also since I was a boy I always preferred revolvers over the pistol clip.... god bless Smith&wesson...love the 629 44 mag

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Hank C Cheyenne said:

...well Rev I have not had the privilege of being a farmer....too bad I missed out on all the manual labour....maybe you could fill me in....

...anyways I beleive the term "suburban cowboy" fits me well...I prefer the suit.....unless on the family vacation I like to get out the jeans & hat and hit the road.....also since I was a boy I always preferred revolvers over the pistol clip.... god bless Smith&wesson...love the 629 44 mag

not sure this is the place to confess your fetishes. Take two aspirin and call your shrink in the morning.. :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Playing cowboy like a little boy, Hank? Six shooters and hats?

You should try doing some real work on your vacation. It's easier now...the tractors have cabs and air conditioning. You won't need your hat at all.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
Nicest hat I ever had was made from a single piece of string. The whole thing was woven togther and had one knot in the back. No beavers died to make it.

Of course I bought it for practical purposes, to keep the sun off my head and neck. It went well with my cut-off jeans and workboots when I was sitting on a tractor.

Well, usually good hats will keep the rain off your head. Some of the cheaper ones will leak right through.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:

Well Rev, many folks here (I included) do wear cowboy hats if we plan to spend a day outdoors for outdoor activites (ex. state fair). Does an excellent job of keeping the sun away. Some folks also wear them indoors, but that is a different story. These guys for the most part though are legit, no fake hat wearing here.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I usually just wear ballcaps on the everyday basis,but Iown a hat similar to the Indiana Jones model[cost just over 60 bucks].unfortunately,that's as far as it goes..no bull whips in my closet :D