Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Myths vs. Facts:

Myth:
Wal-Mart pays "competitive wages."
Fact:
Wal-Mart Lowers Wages.
Wal-Mart workers make an average of $3 per hour less than union supermarket jobs, $2 per hour less than all supermarket jobs, and $1 per hour less than the average retail wage. An average Wal-Mart employee makes about $11,700 a year (working 30 hour weeks which is the national average in discount stores) 㠮early $2,000 below the poverty line for a single mother with two children. A 40-hour week--which most Wal-Mart employees don't work--would figure out to $15,000 a year, which is the government's poverty level for a family of 4.

Myth:
Wal-Mart employees receive good health insurance coverage.

Fact:
Wal-Mart's Health Coverage Leaves Most Workers Uncovered.
Huge employee premium payments and big deductibles keep participation in Wal-Mart's health plan to 38% of employees. That's 6 out of every 10 employees--more than 425,000 Wal-Mart employees, most of them women, who have no company provided health coverage. Nationally, more than 60% of workers are covered by company paid health plans. There's more: Wal-Mart workers pay insurance premiums that cover close to half of Wal-Mart's health plan expenses. The national average shows that employee premiums cover just over 25% of health plan expenses incurred by companies nationwide. The Real Story is that Wal-Mart freely acknowledges shifting its health care costs to taxpayers and responsible employers. A company spokesperson said, "[Wal-Mart employees] who choose not to participate in [Wal-Mart's health plan] usually get their health-care benefits from a spouse or the state or federal government." Wal-Mart is the biggest beneficiary of its health plan because the company shifts $1 billion in health care costs to the government and responsible employers.

Myth:
70% of Wal-Mart's employees are "full time."
Fact:
Full time at Wal-Mart means working 28 hours a week.
Last anyone checked, full-time work in the rest of the country still means 40 hours a week, although a few companies have gone to a 37.5 and 35 hour workweeks.

Myth:
Wal-Mart's benefits package for part-time employees - those working less than 28 hours a week - is "generous."
Fact:
Wal-Mart employees working less than 28 hours need to put in two years with the company before they become eligible for health insurance--if they can afford it.

Myth:
Wal-Mart creates "hundreds" of new jobs for communities.

Fact:
Wal-Mart Destroys Jobs.
Studies show that for every two jobs created by a Wal-Mart store, the community loses three. Jobs are merely shift from local businesses to the giant retailer. In a 1994 report, the Congressional Research Service warned Congress that communities need to evaluate the significance of any job gains at big-box stores against any loss of jobs due to reduced business at competing retailers. The report also pointed out that these so-called new jobs "provide significantly lower wages then jobs in many industries, and are often only part-time positions, seasonal opportunities, or subject to extensive turnover." The Real Story is that when Wal-Mart moves into the neighborhood, it devours local businesses and lowers community living standards.

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Yeah, but at least they place the kids toys next to the gun desk.

Umm, what am I trying to say? I don't know - I think the ethics in this world are begining to screw with my mind.

;-)

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Walmart, horrible company. Support your local retailers... It's been refreshing not to see any wal-marts here in Berlin.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
missile said:
It is a sad situation when employees of this corp have to collect welfare benefits in order to stay alive.

Don't blame Wal Mart for that, blame minimum wage levels that provide a wage far below the poverty line. It's a business - of course they will try to pay as little as possible! Governments should set the minimum wage at a level that provides a decent standard of living, without needing to rely on social programs. This just ends up being a form of government subsidy.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
But..WalMart will not pay a decent wage,and government insistence that they do will only close the doors of the stores,and that's is exactly what I want :evil:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Corporations, especially predatory ones like Wal-Mart, have a lot of political influence, MMMike. They pressure governments to keep minimum wages low and to reduce workplace health and safety requirements.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Sure they do... and thats their perogative. Its up to the citizens and taxpayers to push for change. Every right thinking (no pun intended) person can recognize that this makes sense.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This topic is one of my pet peaves.

For years, small business has provided the bulk of the permanent jobs but politicians screw them every chance they get. Multinationals like Wall-Mart, and Home Depot get tax breaks and other perks to open their stores but they don't provide real jobs that people can live on. When the small businesses that they drive out of the market with their predatory pricing are gone, they raise their prices. This has been documented in many American cities. In fact, several American cities tried to warn us about letting them in but our politicians didn't listen.

http://tinyurl.com/7taa6

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
#juan said:
This topic is one of my pet peaves.

For years, small business has provided the bulk of the permanent jobs but politicians screw them every chance they get. Multinationals like Wall-Mart, and Home Depot get tax breaks and other perks to open their stores but they don't provide real jobs that people can live on. When the small businesses that they drive out of the market with their predatory pricing are gone, they raise their prices. This has been documented in many American cities. In fact, several American cities tried to warn us about letting them in but our politicians didn't listen.

http://tinyurl.com/7taa6

This is not so much a comment about Wal Mart et al., but about corrupt, incompetant politicians. When they have the choice of using surplus funds to cut the overall corporate tax rate or provide targetted funding (read subsidies) to a specific large corporation, guess who wins everytime? Shameful.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Really, I guess,

it's a comment about NAFTA. It appears we don't have the right under NAFTA to refuse these predators. Walmart, Home Depot, etc.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
#juan said:
Really, I guess,

it's a comment about NAFTA. It appears we don't have the right under NAFTA to refuse these predators. Walmart, Home Depot, etc.

Why would we refuse them? The low prices in their stores are a real help to many struggling poor families. What is a multinational corporation but a successful small business. My only problem with Wal Mart is that they pay such a low (unliveable) wage that it is left for the taxpayer to pick up the slack.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That won't do MMMike

I don't consider a business successful if their employees are not successfull. Walmart is a predatory monster that makes money on the backs of their employees who aren't paid a living wage. They are a very large sweat shop.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
missile said:
But..WalMart will not pay a decent wage,and government insistence that they do will only close the doors of the stores,and that's is exactly what I want :evil:

Well, I do have some good news for you then, Missile. A while back a Quebec Wal Mart store in Jonquiere closed down due to poor business. So looks like you got your wish....

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Nascar_James said:
Well, I do have some good news for you then, Missile. A while back a Quebec Wal Mart store in Jonquiere closed down due to poor business. So looks like you got your wish....

That's not the case in this instance though, "Officially" they say it was due to poor business, but there was also the problem of the workers voting to unionize -Whoops! can't have that! I believe there may be more links to it somewhere on this site about the topic.

He did get his wish though, and it also shows that WalMart would rather play by their own rules. s h u d d e r

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4629759

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: SS Wal-mart

Reverend Blair said:
The solution to poverty is not to create low-paying jobs so that poor people can purchase substabdard goods, MMMike.

Look at the big picture, Rev. If Wal Mart were to (God forbid) unionize, it would require raising salaries. This would undoubtedly result in layoffs to maintain the current payroll. As a result of the higher prices, business would also go down.

How in the world would anyone with any business sense make that kind of decision. It's complete nonsense.

As I've said before, I have no gripes against Wal Mart and do shop there. It is very convenient since the super center is open 24 hrs.