Gun Safety and Our Children

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Anyone who has kids and has guns in the home knows how important it is to teach your kids how to safely handle a gun along with the responsibilities that go along with it. It is also important to teach them that guns in the home are off limits to them and should not be handled without an adult's supervision.

The NRA is supporting a free program in gun safety that teaches young children what to do when they see a gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171568,00.html

Program Teaching Kids About Guns Draws Fire
Friday, October 07, 2005

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Five-year-old Jeff Jagels, of Bakersfield, Calif., is just starting school in Kern County, but he already knows what to do when he sees a gun.

And other 5-year-olds in his neighborhood are about to learn what Jagels knows, too.

"Stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult," is what the youngsters are told by cartoon character Eddie Eagle.

The Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program is a free National Rifle Association project that teaches kids what to do when they see a gun.

And Jeff Jagels' father thinks it’s a great idea.

“I realized that this thing is incredibly effective, and I became determined to get one into every kindergarten class in Kern County along with the accompanying teaching materials,” Edward Jagels said.

Jagels, who is the Bakersfield district attorney, is a member of the NRA and said he was astonished by his son’s reaction. His little tyke wanted to watch the videotape over and over again, and quickly repeated the instructions sung by Eddie Eagle in the cartoon.

Jagels thought the project was so good, he took it to the superintendent of Kern County Schools, who liked the idea.

“The fact that we're teaching a child not to touch a gun, to walk away from it, to tell an adult about the gun, that's going to make a child safer,” said Superintendent Larry Reider.

But others disagree. Local emergency room doctor Art Kellermann has treated his share of juvenile gunshot victims. He’s skeptical of any plan that puts the burden on a young child to make a critical judgment about firearms.

“Nobody should trust Eddie Eagle to make their child any safer than before they took the program," Kellermann said. “Rather than try over and over again to gun-proof our kids, I think we ought to child-proof our guns."

The Kern County superintendent will be sending Eddie Eagle tapes out to the district next week — but says it will be up to the individual schools whether to use them.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Dang, Nascar, as much as I hate to agree with you on anything, we have found some common ground here. ;)

Teaching kids gun safety is the surest way to reduce the problems with guns. I grew up with guns, as I've mentioned here before, was shooting weapons when I was so small my father had to stand behind me to stop the recoil from tossing me on my little butt.

I've shot everything from black powder to .44 Magnum to a most cool Sten gun. I am something of a fun of weaponry and the art of shooting. For the record, I have never killed anything bigger than a gopher with a gun (that was with a machine gun and the only way I knew I hit was by tufts of fur!). I don't believe in hunting or killing. For me ... I'm happy to enjoy elk that someone else has killed tho! ;)

My father was insane about gun safety. There were always loaded rifles in our house (we lived in a rural area with lots of predators who were most interested in our animals), so from earliest memory, I knew where the guns were and what rules surrounded them. I learned how to safely use one and that they were not to be viewed lightly.

I've known lots of folks who carried guns (illegally) who had no real idea about gun safety. They are the ones that scare the crap outta me!! And believe me, those guns will never be of the registered variety. A safer approach is to educate people about guns, their destructive power, and the safe way to handle them. Simply registering guns is not going to do that. I think the article you linked to is very much a step in the right direction.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Yep. I've always said that guns should be used properly and legally, Cosmo. Many of us enjoy good gun related pastimes (hunting, target shooting, collecting). If our children grow up appreciating the rules associated with guns, they too will be responsible gun owners as adults.