Third Man in Iraq Arrested in NYC Subway Plot

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171533,00.html

Friday, October 07, 2005

NEW YORK — The investigation into the terrorist threat to bomb city subways moved forward on several fronts Friday as a suspect was arrested in Iraq and authorities looked into whether another had traveled to New York as part of the plot, officials said.

A law-enforcement official familiar with the case said the man's trip to New York was described by an informant who had spent time in Afghanistan and proved reliable in past investigations.

"He's been a source of multiple correct information in the past," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation. "Does that mean a fourth person he identified is in fact in New York? We don't know that." The official added that authorities had not confirmed whether the fourth man even exists.

Alarmed by the informant's report of a plot to attack city subways with as many as 19 bombs in bags and possibly baby strollers, U.S. forces in Iraq arrested two suspected plotters who had been under close surveillance until Thursday morning, officials said. The third escaped until his arrest Friday.

With the men in custody, city officials deployed thousands of additional uniformed and plainclothes officers throughout the subway system, and publicly warned New Yorkers to keep their eyes open for possible threats.

The announcement sparked behind-the-scenes jostling with security officials in Washington, who downplayed the threat and suggested that Mayor Michael Bloomberg may have overreacted.

Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly vigorously defended their reaction Friday.

"We did exactly the right thing," Kelly said.

Those arrested had received explosives training in Afghanistan, a law-enforcement official said Friday. They had planned to travel through Syria to New York, and then meet with an unspecified number of operatives to carry out the bombings. The official said the threat was "specific to place," and that the window for the attack was anywhere from Friday through at least the weekend.

A federal official said one of the suspects arrested in Iraq apparently told interrogators that more than a dozen people were involved in the plot, and that they were of various nationalities, including Afghans, Syrians and Iraqis, the official said.

"There could be one or many," the official said, who had been briefed on the case and spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. "We just don't know. There may not be any."

Kelly, Bloomberg and other city officials declined to release details of the alleged plot, saying much of the information was classified.

Bloomberg called the plot report the most specific terrorist threat that New York officials had received to date and said it was essential that authorities err on the side of caution when protecting the city of 8 million people.

"If I'm going to make a mistake you can rest assured it is on the side of being cautious," Bloomberg said at a news conference, flanked by Kelly.

A law-enforcement official said the informant had failed parts of a polygraph test but appeared to be telling the truth in response to questions dealing with the alleged plot.

But Homeland Security officials in Washington said the threat is of "doubtful credibility."

President Bush said Friday that New York City officials exercised their own prerogative in publicizing the threat. Asked if he thought New York officials had overreacted, Bush said: "I think they took the information we gave and made the judgments they thought were necessary."

Near the Port Authority Bus Terminal on Friday, more officers were visible on the streets, and one lane of traffic on Ninth Avenue was reserved for emergency vehicles.

"Hopefully, God's with me and I'll be OK," Vinnie Stella said earlier while clutching newspapers under his arm as he entered the subway at Penn Station.

Rob Johnson, 30, said he wasn't worried. "The cops have it under control."

In Baghdad, spokespersons for the U.S. military and the U.S. Embassy declined to comment about the arrests.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the military obtained intelligence information "during the normal course of our operations." The intelligence led to a military raid in Iraq this week that was conducted by Iraqi security forces, backed by U.S. troops, Whitman said, but added that there was no direct link between the raid and the New York subway threat.

An estimated 4.5 million passengers ride the New York subway on an average weekday. The system has more than 468 subway stations. In July, the city began random subway searches in the wake of the train bombings in London.

Gov. George Pataki said Thursday the state would call up hundreds of National Guard troops and ask Connecticut and New Jersey to patrol commuter trains.

neocon-hunter

Time Out
Sep 27, 2005
Cloverdale, BC
RE: Third Man in Iraq Arr

I think this is all bs. It is part of the bush plan to keep people controlled by fear. That whole article never says anything concrete, just generalizations and unsure comments like "there could be" "we don't know" "there may not be any" "apparently" "failed parts of polygraph" "doubtful creditbility"

That whole article and incident reeks of being a fabrication. Sounds like a lot but in reality, the article says nothing but generalizations.

The bottom line is if terrorists are determined to blow something up, they will.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Third Man in Iraq Arr

neocon-hunter said:
The bottom line is if terrorists are determined to blow something up, they will.

Hah. That's a good one. Unless they were here prior to 9/11, (which is highly unprobable since most of those individuals have been rooted out), there is no way a terrorist can openly fly from Syria to New York. What immigration officer in his/her right mind would give such a Visa? Bottom line, due to the security measures in place since 9/11, I don't think there will be another large scale terrorist attack on US soil.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

neocon-hunter said:
I think this is all bs. It is part of the bush plan to keep people controlled by fear. That whole article never says anything concrete, just generalizations and unsure comments like "there could be" "we don't know" "there may not be any" "apparently" "failed parts of polygraph" "doubtful creditbility"

That whole article and incident reeks of being a fabrication. Sounds like a lot but in reality, the article says nothing but generalizations.

something stinks......don't it???

WHY NOW??? :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Third Man in Iraq Arr

Something stinks indeed. They've arrested three men. What are they charged with? Will they get a trial? Will the court documents be publicly available? Doubtful.

The fact is that the US government just makes shit up, they have a long record of doing so, and they expect us to swallow it with a big grin.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The fact is that the US government just makes shit up, they have a long record of doing so, and they expect us to swallow it with a big grin.

indeed. Gotta wonder how many REALLY do swallow their garbage and propaganda now.......

this whole thing makes no sense at all..... and the way the USRegime is "glamorizing " terrorism .....with all these "alerts" announcements of potential threats.... blah..blah ....it only reinforces the whole terror issue even more. Free publicity.(advertising) for the terrorists and terrorist wannabees.....and the USR is happy to do it...........while the fear factor insinuates into the collective consciousness.......to the point of paralyzing the population from doing what it must do soon........and that is a regime change in the US.

OF course the mainstream media is in concert with the "regime"....... and plays what will sensationalize .....repetatively until a certain degree of brainwashing has taken place.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Hey! nice pumpkins you got there ocean :p :lol: :lol: :lol: anyhos I was reading about this at another board, an american one at that..vey interesting it was...like for instance this:

bush has so little credibility that i believe these suspects were set up by this administration

then somebody mentioned this:
Same here, but if these are legitimate terrorists we can be sure more will be coming as long as we are in Iraq. So much for fighting over there so we don't have to fight them over here. Does any actually believe that?

than somebody threw this out:

If anyone actually believes this president, they deserve sympathy. This 'arrest' is another of the continuing Lies this president fosters about Iraq on us.

course this was a eyebrow raiser 8O
think that the feds had information about a 'possible' attack on our subways ever since 7/7. They have been tracking these fellows since then.

The annoucement yesterday to secure the subways was timed to coincide with Shrubs speech about terror. That is where they play with the public's sympathies. They receive real and credible evidence but only act upon it to create a theatrical backdrop to the prez's appearance.

How about that timely letter from the real no. 2(Egyptian Al-Z) to the new no. 2(Jordanian Al-Z) about the 'new front' being in Iraq. Nice try a-holes.

And of course:
this is a stage managed piece of bullshit

shall I stop now 8O

It is all bunch of BS, and four hapless nobodys living half way around the world will at least now have a room with four walls and food.

The BS has gotten so thick with this administration that they don't realize how bad they look. When you lead by BS and lies, and you have no results, it is hard to keep the stories straight. When you cannot do your job well, it is always hard to look good no matter what power point presentation you give.

Can't react to a storm with three days notice, and have trouble dealing with standing water, still haven't found Osama Bin Laden, the stock market has been hovering around 10,400 for about three years now, a terrible 5 year run with the economy, an infant death rate twice as high as China's capital compared to our Capital, school system that is in shambles and getting beat out by countries like India in education, can't balance a budget to save their lives, developed a huge welfare state (for corporations), have actually lead the charge in dictating what should be state's rights, seen the governement grow larger, and at a faster rate than under any president since LBJ, people going into poverty at a rate of over 17%, and now, possibly having members of his cabnet indicted on giving classified information to reporters.

I thought they represented business minded folk. You tell me what business would keep someone with these results?

Let me just close with this:
LOW POLL RATINGS

HIGH TERROR ALERT

IT'S A NO-BRAINER

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
hi peapod......(thanks re: the pumpkin thingy........searched for something like that ..........JUST for this weekend.. (believe it or not?? :wink:

now back to Earthquake/Hurricane Bushregime. .......anyone get the impression that they are fighting to stay afloat??? NO one in their right mind believes a word they say.........(which could seriously backfire.........IF they had a real and genuine threat..........Hold on a sec. Have these bozos not thought of the "crying wolf " syndrome???? Let's say they have .and KNOW that their alerts are meaningless...........does that not suggest that the terror threat is NOT at all as serious as they might have the sheeple think????

It has become so fecking convoluted.......no one can be certain which end is up anymore.....

what is really scary is that if they get a tad more desperate in the situation they created........who knows what they might pull .....or try to pull off just to maintain a facade of power...???

Not good.

Let me just close with this:
LOW POLL RATINGS

HIGH TERROR ALERT

IT'S A NO-BRAINER

Indeed..........and the pattern is repeating itself......

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
mmmmmmm what do you make of this :? :? Threat downplayed in Washington
The announcement sparked behind-the-scenes jostling with security officials in Washington, who downplayed the threat and suggested that Mayor Michael Bloomberg may have overreacted.

Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly vigorously defended their reaction Friday.

“We did exactly the right thing,” Kelly said.

You see, Bloomberg got it wrong. Terror alerts are for election years only! He was just premature and he beat the administration to it so they are upset. We have heard about the 10 supposed attacks they supposedly stopped only because of GWB's poor ratings.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
peapod said:
mmmmmmm what do you make of this :? :? Threat downplayed in Washington

“We did exactly the right thing,” Kelly said.

You see, Bloomberg got it wrong. Terror alerts are for election years only! He was just premature and he beat the administration to it so they are upset. We have heard about the 10 supposed attacks they supposedly stopped only because of GWB's poor ratings.

aahh. jeeeez !! it gets sickening...... :pukeright:

(so there !!! :wink:

JomZ

Electoral Member
Aug 18, 2005
Reentering the Fray at CC.net
To Mr. Bush

You like to think that you look to the future of the world. You say, "Fight the war on terror, help those in need, spread democracy and freedom to people who never understood what it actually means."

You draw your sword and sound the charge of that great thing that once was America. But now, you turn your head and look behind you and see the people with their backs turned to you. They are not looking the way that you are looking.

They are looking to where the truest form of freedom and democracy reigns. In the hands of the many, not the few.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: Third Man in Iraq Arrested in NYC Subway Plot

JomZ said:
To Mr. Bush

You like to think that you look to the future of the world. You say, "Fight the war on terror, help those in need, spread democracy and freedom to people who never understood what it actually means."

You draw your sword and sound the charge of that great thing that once was America. But now, you turn your head and look behind you and see the people with their backs turned to you. They are not looking the way that you are looking.

They are looking to where the truest form of freedom and democracy reigns. In the hands of the many, not the few.

from "mr. bush"

Yes, BUT. ( famous for the "yes but "option)..;-) "God" TOLD me to do what I have been doing. I am on a MISSION. I must bring democracy and "freedom" to every .........Um rich/resource rich ......nation on this planet. I am to free these nations of their resources, liberate them from the responsibility of managing said resources .... and if a few people die......they die for a higher cause. ( something I learnt from that bin laden chap...)

Just following "god's orders". Any complaints?? Take them to the complaints box that has been put up on the fence outside the whitehouse.-------and "we" will treat them "accordingly"...

;-)

PS.......and don't park your sorry butts outside my ranch or my Whitehouse main residence ( I am President ,ya know) .....as I will ignore you and call the national guard to "deal " with you. Furthermore if I am not in bed /asleep by 9:00 pm......I will have a crazy hangover in the morning and won't be able to understand/hear a word they say at the morning briefing.

neocon-hunter

Time Out
Sep 27, 2005
Cloverdale, BC

Nascar_James said:
neocon-hunter said:

Hah. That's a good one. Unless they were here prior to 9/11, (which is highly unprobable since most of those individuals have been rooted out), there is no way a terrorist can openly fly from Syria to New York. What immigration officer in his/her right mind would give such a Visa? Bottom line, due to the security measures in place since 9/11, I don't think there will be another large scale terrorist attack on US soil.

A good one, my uniformed fellow poster. You are foolish if you believe there will not ever be another terrorist attack on American soil. You government is antagonizing them with their threats and with the illegal occupation of Iraq.

How hard do you really think it would be to get into your country? If they want in they will find away. You have thousands of miles of Borders with two countries, thousands of miles of ocean and you think it would be hard to get in? You cannot patrol every inch of it at once. Terrorists may be scum but they ain't stupid.

How many illegal immigrants get into your country a day from Mexico that are not caught? Terrorists could enter that way.

You need to take your blinders off and stop believing everything your president tells you. As no1 mentioned, what about terrorists from your own country that were born and raised in your country like Terrry Nichols, Timothy Mcveigh,Michael Fortier (who were responsible for Oklahoma bombing) and the Una Bomber (Dr. Theodore John Kaczynski)

No offence NJ but maybe you need to get your head out of the sand and see what is going on in the real world for a change and do not believe everything your very corrupt government tells you as the gospel.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

neocon-hunter said:
Nascar_James said:
neocon-hunter said:

How many illegal immigrants get into your country a day from Mexico that are not caught? Terrorists could enter that way.

I am sure US intelligence monitors passenger lists at Mexican airports. They would be foolish not to.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

neocon-hunter said:
I was not talking about airport, I was referring to california/arizona/texas border with mexico. Quite a few seem to sneak over.

Right. However, we do not worry about a few illegal Mexican immigrants sneaking into the country in the same sense as terroists. Mexicans are not a threat to our national security.

The terrorists would need to fly to Mexico first before being able to sneak into the US, right? That's when they would get fingered. It would be very hard to pull it off. They would surely get caught.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Mexicans are not a threat to our national security.

That's not what your leaders were saying at the Cancun summit. In fact the US helped pay for demonstrators to be be beaten and abused. They cited national security as the reason for that.

You've been caught destroying fishing boats in Central America because they present a "terrorist threat" (actually they present a threat to corporate profits, but let's pretend that your leaders aren't liars for a second), so to say that there is no threat in your porous southern border is disingenuous.

There is next to nothing keeping a terrorist from entering Mexico, then crossing into the US with migrants looking for work though. There is also next to nothing keeping them from entering along your coastlines. You cannot patrol all of your coastline all at once.

If the terrorists want in, they'll get in. If they want to blow something up, they will. These are people used to working under repressive regimes, including US-controlled puppet regimes.