Arnold Justifiably Vetos SSM Bill in California

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
My hat's off to Arnold. No one's going to mees with him while he's in charge. California will preserve it's traditional definition of marriage.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170835,00.html

Schwarzenegger Vetoes Calif. Gay Nups Bill
Thursday, September 29, 2005

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger followed through Thursday on his promise to veto a bill to legalize same-sex marriage, leaving the issue up to voters or judges who will likely face the volatile issue in the next year.

"This bill simply adds confusion to a constitutional issue," he said in a veto message.

Schwarzenegger vowed to veto the bill Sept. 7, a day after the legislature became the first in the country to approve a bill allowing gays and lesbians to wed.

Schwarzenegger said the bill by Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, contradicted Proposition 22, which was approved by voters in 2000 and said only a marriage between a man and woman is valid.

The governor said the state Constitution barred the Legislature from enacting a law allowing gay marriage without another vote of the people and Leno's bill wouldn't provide for that vote.

Schwarzenegger noted that a state appeals court was considering whether the state's ban on gay marriage was constitutional and that the issue would likely be decided by the California Supreme Court.

"If the ban of same-sex marriage is unconstitutional this bill is not necessary," he said. "If the ban is constitutional this bill is ineffective."

Leno, who is one of six openly gay state lawmakers, said Schwarzenegger had missed a historic opportunity to stand up for civil rights.

"He cannot claim to support fair and equal legal protection for same-sex couples and veto the very bill that would have provided it to them," said Leno. "Words are cheap. We're looking for action. We're looking for leadership."

In his veto message, Schwarzenegger said he supported the state's domestic partner laws, which give same-sex couples most of the rights and obligations of married couples, and would oppose efforts to overturn or weaken those statutes.

"I believe that lesbian and gay couples are entitled to full protection under the law and should not be discriminated against based on their relationships," he said.

Leno's bill was approved by bare majorities in the state Assembly and Senate. It would take two-thirds votes in both houses to overturn the veto and there hasn't been a veto override in California in more than 20 years.

Eddie Gutierrez, a spokesman for Equality California, a gay rights group that supported the bill, said Schwarzenegger had merely delayed the day when gay marriage is legal.

"We are extremely disappointed with the governor's decision," he said. "By denying us marriage equality he has turned a back to our community."

Randy Thomasson, president of the Campaign for California Families, a group that opposed the bill, said Schwarzenegger had done the right thing.

But he said voters should approve an initiative next year that would put a ban on same-sex marriages in the state Constitution.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
In 2000 the people of California voted on and approved proposition 22, which states that marriage is only valid if between a man and woman.

If a vote is held statewide on SSM, the people will turn it down. Several states have had referendums on SSM on November 2004, and all of them turned it down. The will of the people has spoken.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Arnold Justifiably Ve

That's true. He was polling even worse than George Bush the last time I checked. Arnie is done. He's incompetent and homophobic. Time to ship off to the Home for Bad Actors.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Ah! The one thing you can count on in de mockracy in America, is that when it comes to protecting human rights and dignity, the mob rules.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well he will be gone in 2006 and sanity will be back in California.

That might be a little optimistic.............. :wink:

neocon-hunter

Time Out
Sep 27, 2005
Cloverdale, BC

A lot can change in a year but ...

The poll found that only 33 percent of adult Californians approve of Schwarzenegger's job performance, and 58 percent disapprove - the lowest rating of his term and a steep drop from the 65 percent approval rating he enjoyed in August 2004, at the peak of his popularity.

Angelenos gave him the lowest ratings, with 26 percent approving and 64 percent disapproving.

and

With just six weeks before the special election, California voters remain unimpressed with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's reform measures and would rather not go to the polls this fall, a survey released today says.

Read whole article here

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: Arnold Justifiably Ve

Reverend Blair said:
That's true. He was polling even worse than George Bush the last time I checked. Arnie is done. He's incompetent and homophobic. Time to ship off to the Home for Bad Actors.

Arnold is not done. He will serve another term as Governor. As Arnold would put it, we don't want California to fall into the hands of "girly men".

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
hmmm..... Arnold always came off to me as a liberal Republican.... but whatever he did the right thing if the voters wanted to keep the traditional definition of marrige.

"Ah! The one thing you can count on in de mockracy in America, is that when it comes to protecting human rights and dignity, the mob rules."""

....maybe you haven't seen the world my friend. Have you been to San Francisco? Its the gay capital of North America and they get along with all the rest of the population..... its quite a unique city.

.... and rememeber it is democracy, if people overwelmingly want to keep traditional marrage then we should respect that...... how the hell do you see it as a human rights violation.... SEE BEFORE YOU JUDGE!

neocon-hunter

Time Out
Sep 27, 2005
Cloverdale, BC

Well Vancouver is the "gay" capital of Canada and "they" always get along with rest of population. So what? Preventing two people from getting married based on sex is discrimmination. Marriage is not even an issue here (except some dinasaurs in Alberta) and never really was a big deal like it is in america.

Well at least our constitution does not discrimminate. We have real equality here.

How does it efect you anyways? Divorce rate is 50%+, 2nd and 3rd marriage divorce is even higher.

What are you scared of? "Them" showing you how to do marriage right?

It seems kinda funny the right is so concerned about marriage, they do not care about atrocities being committed over seas or the atrocities that were committed by the FN people of North America.

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC

Soon it will be Hasta la vista to the idiot movie star.

Hasta la vista, Arnie. He won't be back.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Re: RE: Arnold Justifiably Vetos SSM Bill in California

Hank C Cheyenne said:
been to San Francisco? Its the gay capital of North America and they get along with all the rest of the population..... its quite a unique city.

Answer - yeah, I've been to San Francisco. A friend of mine died of AIDS there. He passed in a private hospice. The Gay community there has many fine, compassionate people. Gays were tolerated there, kind of like blacks were tolerated in New Orleans. I've also been to Kentucky, Mississippi and Alabama with their discrimination and hatred of things they don't understand. Discrimination against minorities or lack of equality based on things like age, creed, ethnicity, sexual preference etc. is not democracy but tyranny. The flag that acts as your avator is a symbol of oppression and intolarance so it seems that is what you seek to project about yourself. Am I wrong?

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

neocon-hunter said:
But real men do not take steriods.

Arnold was not doing anything illegal. In the 1970's and the 1980's (back in Arnold's bodybuilding days) anabolic steroids were not controlled substances.

Bewteen 1988 and 1990, anabolic steroids finallly became controlled substances. Possession of steroids now is a federal offense which will lead to a $1000 fine and/or jail. Selling steroids, or possessing them with intent to sell, is a federal felony punishable with prison time and/or a hefty $250,000 fine.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Yeah, and Tim Leary started eating acid before it was illegal. What's your point?

Actually, if we were dig up Leary's rotting corpse, or reconstitute the ashes, or whatever, then bolt his frozen, deceased head back on the top, he could still do a better job running California than Arnie.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

Reverend Blair said:
Yeah, and Tim Leary started eating acid before it was illegal. What's your point?

Actually, if we were dig up Leary's rotting corpse, or reconstitute the ashes, or whatever, then bolt his frozen, deceased head back on the top, he could still do a better job running California than Arnie.

The point Rev is, although Arnold may have taken performance enhancing drugs back in his day, he did nothing illegal.

As I said before, don't count Arnold out. Outside of LA, many folks in California support Arnold. Also, don't forget that even in Democrat-loving Hollywood, you do have a notable presence on the Republican front.

Hank C Cheyenne

Electoral Member
Sep 17, 2005
Calgary, Alberta.
"The flag that acts as your avator is a symbol of oppression and intolarance so it seems that is what you seek to project about yourself. Am I wrong?"

......I was born in Ohio and have family in the South so this flag means something to me....and it is not racist....its simply is part of my backround. I do not use it as an oppressive racial symbol .... but a symbol of a way of life my family and I represent......good hardworking simple people in this world.