Storm Turns Focus to Global Warming

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/083005A.shtml

The majority view is that if this keeps up for a few more years, we will be outside of natural variability. But people are still leery of saying that this is a result" of human-caused climate change, he said.

Katrina's Real Name
By Ross Gelbspan
The Boston Globe

Tuesday 30 August 2005

The Hurricane that struck Louisiana yesterday was nicknamed Katrina by the National Weather Service. Its real name is global warming.

When the year began with a two-foot snowfall in Los Angeles, the cause was global warming.

When 124-mile-an-hour winds shut down nuclear plants in Scandinavia and cut power to hundreds of thousands of people in Ireland and the United Kingdom, the driver was global warming.

When a severe drought in the Midwest dropped water levels in the Missouri River to their lowest on record earlier this summer, the reason was global warming.

In July, when the worst drought on record triggered wildfires in Spain and Portugal and left water levels in France at their lowest in 30 years, the explanation was global warming.

When a lethal heat wave in Arizona kept temperatures above 110 degrees and killed more than 20 people in one week, the culprit was global warming.

And when the Indian city of Bombay (Mumbai) received 37 inches of rain in one day - killing 1,000 people and disrupting the lives of 20 million others - the villain was global warming.

As the atmosphere warms, it generates longer droughts, more-intense downpours, more-frequent heat waves, and more-severe storms.

Although Katrina began as a relatively small hurricane that glanced off south Florida, it was supercharged with extraordinary intensity by the relatively blistering sea surface temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico.

The consequences are as heartbreaking as they are terrifying.

Unfortunately, very few people in America know the real name of Hurricane Katrina because the coal and oil industries have spent millions of dollars to keep the public in doubt about the issue.

The reason is simple: To allow the climate to stabilize requires humanity to cut its use of coal and oil by 70 percent. That, of course, threatens the survival of one of the largest commercial enterprises in history.

In 1995, public utility hearings in Minnesota found that the coal industry had paid more than $1 million to four scientists who were public dissenters on global warming. And ExxonMobil has spent more than $13 million since 1998 on an anti-global warming public relations and lobbying campaign.

In 2000, big oil and big coal scored their biggest electoral victory yet when President George W. Bush was elected president - and subsequently took suggestions from the industry for his climate and energy policies.

As the pace of climate change accelerates, many researchers fear we have already entered a period of irreversible runaway climate change.

Against this background, the ignorance of the American public about global warming stands out as an indictment of the US media.

When the US press has bothered to cover the subject of global warming, it has focused almost exclusively on its political and diplomatic aspects and not on what the warming is doing to our agriculture, water supplies, plant and animal life, public health, and weather.

For years, the fossil fuel industry has lobbied the media to accord the same weight to a handful of global warming skeptics that it accords the findings of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - more than 2,000 scientists from 100 countries reporting to the United Nations.

Today, with the science having become even more robust - and the impacts as visible as the mega-storm that covered much of the Gulf of Mexico - the press bears a share of the guilt for our self-induced destruction with the oil and coal industries.

As a Bostonian, I am afraid that the coming winter will - like last winter - be unusually short and devastatingly severe. At the beginning of 2005, a deadly ice storm knocked out power to thousands of people in New England and dropped a record-setting 42.2 inches of snow on Boston.

The conventional name of the month was January. Its real name is global warming.

I've noticed that mainstream media is starting to give this a great deal of attention...about feckin' time, I'd say...

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Storm Turns Focus to

The problem with that cartoon, Jo, is that Big Oil profits anyway. The oil they are pumping simply becomes more valuable so they can charge more. Their costs don't really go up since what is damaged by the weather is either insured or can be written off on taxes, or both.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Storm Turns Focus to

Reverend Blair said:
The problem with that cartoon, Jo, is that Big Oil profits anyway. The oil they are pumping simply becomes more valuable so they can charge more. Their costs don't really go up since what is damaged by the weather is either insured or can be written off on taxes, or both.

I'm well aware of that, there's aleady more cartoons on Price Gouging from Big Oil companies than I can shake a stick at.

8O And that's not even all of them

Steve French

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2005

If we had listened to those whacko environmentalists and scientists 50 years ago we wouldn't be in all these jackpots today. But we don't listen to scientists and environmentalists because like all academics they don't comprehend the 'real' world. We listen to businessmen. Our current society is organized around the concept that says the world is a business, Mr Beale - the immutable bylaws of business, supply and demand, market forces and such, these things represent the 'real' world.

...and thus, we build vast cities on sinking ground thinking our technology will save us from anything nature can dish out. Why build a city in such a stupid location? Because its good for business.

Of course, Nature doesn't really care about fabricated human laws and rules.

Glad I got to see New Orleans before this - it was a great city full of fantastic old architecture and culture.
I heard Pompeii was pretty nice too.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
I saw a news story where a man had converted his Diesel engine to run on vegetable oil...there are even seminars on how it is done, and only costs between 1500-3000 to convert.

Some one get me a VW and show me the corn oil baby!

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Of course - global warming is inevitable even without human input.

However, the damage is done. The atlantic conveyour belt will probably stop in about 20 or so years. I wonder how long it would take the world to completely change it's ways - longer than 20 years I'm sure.

It is said that when the big freeze occurs due to global warming, the hotter the worlds climate, the easier the freeze will be.

So, since we are at the point of no return, should we make our little world a bit hotter?

The imminent fuel depletion is going to be an interesting time.

Ban the car and give avery household two horses and a cart and use the dung for heating fuel. (I mean this)

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005
I'm a geologist and paleontologist. I don't think we should be puting more crap in the air and I think we should err on the side that global warming is happening and we should do something about it.

Katrina? Katrina is a natural phenomenon that might have happened 500 years ago or 500 from now. Linking global warming to specific events is just pure speculation. Katrina is no more evidence for global warming than it is against it.

Yes, it does remind us that Nature can slap us around at will.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Re: RE: Storm Turns Focus to Global Warming

stratochief said:
I'm a geologist and paleontologist. I don't think we should be puting more crap in the air and I think we should err on the side that global warming is happening and we should do something about it.

Katrina? Katrina is a natural phenomenon that might have happened 500 years ago or 500 from now. Linking global warming to specific events is just pure speculation. Katrina is no more evidence for global warming than it is against it.

Yes, it does remind us that Nature can slap us around at will.

It's not just Katarina though chief...it's the frequency and intensity of hurricanes and other weather related disasters all over the globe, have been on the rise...that is what scientists are looking at, not just one particularly nasty event...

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Its a fact water tempurature is rising, as is temperature in many major rivers and this has an effect on increasing the power (and frequency) of these storms. People (mostly politicians and conservatives) who deny global warming should get their head out of their ass.

The polar caps are melting, sea levels rising, more storms and people living in coastal areas are going to get flooded out more and more.

Steve French

Nominee Member
Jul 10, 2005

"I think we should err on the side that global warming is happening"

I agree - but further, I think we should always err on the side that we are stupid and don't really know what we're doing. We cannot possibly predict how synthetic chemicals will react and combine with each other once we dump them into the water systems, because these chemicals have never existed before. Instead we use people as a vast biological experiment to try to figure out what went wrong AFTER the chemicals are dumped.
We should assume all technology is bad, until proven otherwise. Not the reverse. Currently we assume all tech is good until proven otherwise, by then it is too late. This is a function of our legal/business systems which are a set of rules and regulations we invented for our dealings with each other - no respect to nature is given whatsoever. And nature does not care about silly human rules and laws.
We must conform ALL human activity to nature and the natural world, to do otherwise is suicide/extinction.

That doesn't mean I think we need to live in caves and ride horses, far from it. We can live quite comfortably without laying waste to vast regions of the environment.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That doesn't mean I think we need to live in caves and ride horses, far from it. We can live quite comfortably without laying waste to vast regions of the environment.

The truth is that we can live more comfortably if we preserve out environment. If we don't listen to the scientists and environmentalists, then we will end up living in caves and riding horses...assuming there are any horses left, or people left to ride them.