Well, now I KNOW Environment Canada is Nuckin' Futz!

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
They just came out with some "study" that says Alberta has the best over-all weather in Canada, followed by Saskatchewan.

8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
Ten Packs said:
They just came out with some "study" that says Alberta has the best over-all weather in Canada, followed by Saskatchewan.

8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another reason for Albertans to feel smug.

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
Re: RE: Well, now I KNOW Environment Canada is Nuckin' Futz!

manda said:
I figure that they choose these things in the same manner that they predict the Atlantic regions weather, spin the wheel and wo with what space it lands on! :wink:

The article and study by Environment Canada is in the Sun chain today. It was also in the Calgary Herald, I am told.

Musicman

Electoral Member
Aug 7, 2005
From the Calgary Sun:

Soggy and shivering, Calgarians can take solace in knowing their province has the country's most comfortable climate, says Environment Canada.

Though their breath was visible in the midst of yesterday's rain, city residents can still be content with having the nation's sunniest, most forgiving weather, said climatologist David Phillips.

"It's been a bummer of a summer but you should be grateful because Environment Canada concludes you have the most comfortable place in Canada," said Phillips from his office in Toronto. "One year does not a trend make."

Calgary has already recorded more than a month's worth of average rain for August along with daytime high temperatures 2C lower than the norm, said Phillips. A chilly June was the city's wettest month on record.

But by averaging out a host of weather categories from 1971 to 2000, Alberta's boasted a weather advantage, ranking first in Canada for the most sunny days annually and during the cold months.

It also has the lowest annual snowfall and ranks second in having the sunniest summers and fewest foggy days.

"Most people tend to think of Alberta for being cold, but it's got a lot going for it," said Phillips.

By contrast, Nunavut has the least comfortable climate, with Quebec coming in a chilly second.

P.E.I. chalked up the most humid summers and freezing rain days. Canada's wettest province was Nova Scotia.

Though it may seem hard to believe given Calgary's clammy summer, Alberta ranked third among the 13 provinces and territories for rain-free days.

- - -

STATS DON'T LIE, OR DO THEY?

Alberta weather statistics compiled by Environment Canada, 1971-2000.

* First; most sunny days year round -- 312.41 days

* Second; sunniest summer -- 854.9 hours

* Third; most days with light wind -- 296.35

* Third; most thunderstorm days -- 20.81

* Third; sunniest fall -- 405.64 hours

* Fifth; mildest winter -- -8.14C

* Fifth; most hot days (30C and over) -- 4.51 days

* Eighth; for coldest winter -- -19.08C

* Ninth; for driest summer air -- 1.15 kPa

* Tenth; snowiest springs -- 35.89 cm

* Twelfth; most snow days annually -- 60.02 days

ol' dawg

Electoral Member
Jun 25, 2005
standing by a hydrant
Yup, it's nice in AB.

Sunny Southern Alberta, at least in the Calgary-Red Deer region, had cold rain driven by a savage northwest wind, and colder than a hookers heart. Lots of rain too - the farmers are complainin' - like that only happens once a decade.

Yesterday people were going home to cover their plants and vegetables for the fear of frost - it was a cold mother.

But Albertans do enjoy a brisk -30 winter day as long as the sun is shining and the big sky is blue. It's a dry cold. :wink: :lol:

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Soggy and shivering, Calgarians can take solace in knowing their province has the country's most comfortable climate, says Environment Canada.

[STOP!!! You're killing me!]

It also has the lowest annual snowfall and ranks second in having the sunniest summers and fewest foggy days.

[ Yeah, and half of them are at 30 BELOW!]

I have a friend who lives in Calgary - they had wet SNOWyesterday!

Too feckin' FUNNY! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Also it was stated that NB has the warmest summers and NS,the best average temperature :) My little city must be the one with the most foggy days though :lol:

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Targeting the whole province as the best weather is a little arbitrary.

Alberta does have some nice weather in it's southern region. In the middle weather patterns can be a little unpredictable and you could have a perfectly nice +30 day, then, rain, then more sun, then Thunder and hail, then broken clouds with wind, then more sun, sometimes throw some snow into that factor, then some more sun, and to end the night off with overcast skies. FT. Mcmurray in Northern alberta I found to be quite similar in weather to Yellowknife. Mild-dry air, cold winters, warm summers with the same amount of precipitation.

In the End, Alberta is so Frikin long that you get the deserts in the south and the sub-arctic taiga in the north. I think Environment canada should just narrow it down to regions to help makes sense of things.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now