Something bothering me on the news ...

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
I've been watching the local news daily, only to hear the epithet "crack head" used again and again.
In this day and age of "political correctness", how can this be permitted?

Could it be due to the fact, most individuals addicted to crack are too busy finding ways to afford their addiction, to possess the ability to stand up for their rights?

I hope no one took a previous post I made sarcastically about addictions as literal.

There was a time when few hated "crack heads" more than I did. I had experiences with several crack addicts, and I was ripped-off by them. I felt like "killing them all", but not untill I shared a house with a real family that suffered a bad crack addiction, did my perception change. I got to know these people real good, and in many ways could relate to them much more than I could most people. I was there as their addiction got worse and worse. I saw a mother literally turn into a prostitude to support her habbit. I had to deal with neighbours knocking on my door because the same mother went door to door lying, while saying her son was dying and asking for donations she would inevitably use to buy more crack..
There is a lot of people out there going around giving "freebies" to those who don't know what they are getting themselves into. Crack is ridiculously addictive, much worse than coke, and it's easier to get around here than weed or alcohol for minors.

Political correctness is a joke. It's not about redressing injustices, it's about exploiting partisan votes. It's about taking total advantage of people who think they are standing up for their rights. Afterall, the people who have the least rights are those who are unable to stand up for themselves.

How is it logical, that hate inspiring epithets are used to denounce an entire group of people with a geniune problem, while other epithets would cause all hell to break loose if they were used on the same news program? Is this acceptable?

All this does, is make matters exponentially worse. It causes society to completley isolate and condemn people with addictions, and it causes the people with the addictions to isolate themselves, destroying any desire to seek help or hope of one day living a productive life. It does little for discouraging people from trying the drug for a first time. Rebellious teenagers may actually become more atttracted to it because of the anti-society propaganda now associated with it.

"Political correctness" seems to shine, primarily when the matter could have been easily delt with subjectively by the people who felt offended. When there is a legitimate injustice however, it seems society either turns a blind eye, or jumps on the bandwagon.

I will say this: Being hated by all of society, certainly does not create much incentive to change or better oneself. It only causes the one who is hated to become incorrigible, and often precipitates his/her subjective justification for hating the majority of society, eliminating whatever moral conflict he/she still felt while looking for ways to fuel the demon.

Perhaps, instead of spreading such hatred and frustration towards an unfortunate group of people, we should be hating only the drug, and not the people who are addicted to it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"unfortunate group of people"

who make a decision to use an addictive drug. Same as smokers; we don't go overboard to cater to smokers, do we?

At what point do people take responsibility for themselves?

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
I see your point, but there is also a lot of people out there going around giving freebies to those who don't know what they are getting themselves into.

Crack is ridiculously addictive and easier to get around here than weed or underage alcohol.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm just stirring the pot. We spend a lot of time and energy giving drugs, needles, etc to addicts, while at the same time demonizing smokers........

Not that I'm either, but it's an interesting contrast.

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
I'm just stirring the pot. We spend a lot of time and energy giving drugs, needles, etc to addicts, while at the same time demonizing smokers........

True, but the demonizing of smokers is not nearly as intense. Smokers are made out to be more "annoying" than anything, whereas crack addicts are made out to be the scum of the earth and not worthy of life.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I've got a crackhead in my family right now and till he decides that he doesn't want to live that life anymore theres nothing anybody can do for him its a sad state of affairs but what can you do . :(

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
and till he decides that he doesn't want to live that life anymore theres nothing anybody can do for him

Considering the entire world hates him, or makes it look that way, it's doubtful he will change any time soon. He has nothing to lose. One can lose all his posessions, but not untill he has completely lost his respect, does he not have anything to lose.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
mrmom2 said:
I've got a crackhead in my family right now and till he decides that he doesn't want to live that life anymore theres nothing anybody can do for him its a sad state of affairs but what can you do . :(

Same as an alcoholic or a gambler - if the person doesn't want to change, nothing else will do it. I've lived with both. After a while, you give up on people who refuse to help themselves. And the whiny self pity bullshit doesn't work forever, either.

You want help, I'll give you help. You continue to ask for help while you deliberately f*ck up, and I'll either punch you silly, or walk away.

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Same as an alcoholic or a gambler - if the person doesn't want to change, nothing else will do it.

I agree, yet promoting hatred towards these people, does nothing but make matters worse for everyone.

When has hatred solved anything?

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
The problem is Torture these people do nothing but lie cheat and steal from the very people that want to help them .I'm living this right now and I'm with Tenpenny on this one .You act like the a scumbag your going to get treated like one :(

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Addiction and it's concomitant compulsions are very powerful things - the fact is that addicts are isolated from the rest of society (by the sorts of attitudes you've described), and tend to associate only with other users, who 'understand'. The idea of a 'normal' life must seem so far out of reach as to be unobtainable. Everyone thinks you're a scumbag, anyway, so why bother to try? It's easier just to retreat into a drug-induced haze.

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
The problem is Torture these people do nothing but lie cheat and steal from the very people that want to help them

Oh, I know. The longer they are addicted to the drug, the more this way they become. All this hatred, only isolates them further from society while there still may have been a chance for them to turn themselves around. After that, it's too late in many cases.

This blatant promotion of hatred is wrong.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Our local headline in todays paper "Mounties swarm 'crackshack'
It is getting out of control here in BC Torture .You should take a drive around Vernon it's unbelievable some of the neighborhoods .There used to be after hours booze cans now there all crack houses 8O If one moves into my neighborhood I'll garauntee you it'll be burned down in no time people around here will not put up with that bullshit :x

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Who said anything about putting up with it Mrmom?

There is a difference between dealing with a problem and promoting hatred.

I live in Calgary, and right now the crack problem is real bad. Almost all of the se and much of the ne is infested with crack.. I am around this shit constantly. Hatred makes it worse.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
The hatred should be directed towards the dealers and importers but it isn't because the very people that make the laws and inforce them are all taking there own cuts of the profits thats why nothing is done :evil:

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
The hatred should be directed towards the dealers and importers but it isn't because the very people that make the laws and inforce them are all taking there own cuts of the profits thats why nothing is done

Excellent point!!!

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Stigmatization doesn't work.

It's a strategy for enabling the big boys to kill of a group of people in a certain area, in order to create the illusion of a benevolent government, while new demand is created elsewhere. This process eventually repeats.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
RE: Something bothering m

The crack problem is getting bad in my area too. I go back and forth on the issue myself. I've been ripped off many times and have seen people go from normal hardworking individuals to prostitues and thugs in order to support their habit. I have compassion, and sometimes I'm just pissed off. Leave my shit alone and I'll leave you alone! Or something like that.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Gordon J Torture said:
Stigmatization doesn't work.

It's a strategy for enabling the big boys to kill of a group of people in a certain area, in order to create the illusion of a benevolent government, while new demand is created elsewhere. This process eventually repeats.

Of course it doesn't. No one trys to quite smoking crack beacuse people look down on them. Addiction is much stronger than that.

A few months ago, about 100 people in my area went to every known crack house in the community to let them know we know what's going on. They moved alright...to other houses in the same neighbourhood.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
It seems its getting worse all across the country :? Why is the goverment and police doing nothing I mean c'mon its not to hard to tell who's dealing the drugs around here .there 20 somethings driving around in 60,000 dollar trucks with all the toys and they never work 8O Wheres revenue Canada ?These guys don't pay tax but the buy these trucks and toys and leave reciepts all over the place . :? It would not take much for them to start pointing fingers at these guys